1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this normal for an R6?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Cbrkp, Aug 21, 2018.

1. Cbrkp

Cbrkp Well-Known Member

Got a quick question about the r6 and was wondering if anyone would know.

Not sure if this is a characteristic of the R6, but I’m experiencing something I never have on any bike. I'm not sure what the bike was like stock as I converted it straight to Track/Race. What I have noticed about my r6 is that when I try to slowly give it throttle from idle to 3000 rpms it always jumps past my target of 3000 rpms straight to 4000 rpms. Everything above 4000 rpms is smooth, controlled etc. however I'am unable to get the throttle to go slowly and smoothly from 2000 to 3000 rpms. The only way I can achieve that is to bounce/twitch the throttle to achieve 3000 rpms or bring revs higher then lower it down to 3000 rpms

I'm wondering if the flashtune map, YCCT settings, bazzaz, TPS sensor, Throttle bodies, Quick turn throttle or something else is affecting the quick jump in rpm control from idle to 4000 rpms.

2. triplestrong

triplestrong Well-Known Member

Could be most anything you mentioned. What year is it? Did you calibrate tps settings in bazazz?

3. Schwiz

Schwiz Well-Known Member

The first thing I'd do is bypass your bazzaz unit and test it. I doubt its your quick turn or throttle bodies unless you have a kinked or stuck cable of some sorts. If your throttle snaps back then I would maybe rule those two things out.

IMO the likely culprit is the flashed ECU. When flashing, you can modify the throttle by wire maps and I wonder if whoever you had flash it maybe made a mistake for those values - I've seen it happen. I have worked a lot with Flashtune and while it's powerful, it quickly turn ugly. If you can hit up a friend and plug their stock ECU in and test it, I would do that as well.

4. Cbrkp

Cbrkp Well-Known Member

2008. Calibration done with the bike in diag mode :)

5. Cbrkp

Cbrkp Well-Known Member

Throttle body as well as the quick turn throttle are smooth, snappy and retract properly.

Would be annoying if the bazzaz unit is faulty. sure hope thats not the problem but I’ll clear the bazzaz map as well and recalibrate to make sure

Heres to hoping its the ECU as thats a simple remedy

6. triplestrong

triplestrong Well-Known Member

Go into diag mode and check the sweep on the TPS values while slowly opening the throttle from full closed to full open. You should almost be able to count each number from 19ish to 99ish. If it skips 15 or so numbers at a time you probably have a bad flash or bad tps.

7. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

do you have anyone close by you can check with a stock ECU?

8. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

with one that old, check the little throttle body sync caps on the ends of the sync tubes on back of throttle bodies.
    there are 4 (obviously) and they crack and leak air with age and can cause erratic idle and near idle issues.
    Don't think it's your issue, more likely something posted earlier.. as it's with throttle, but check these anyway on 10 yr old bike (both mine are 2008 and it's happened) . .

9. Cbrkp

Cbrkp Well-Known Member

Thanks for this!!!

10. Cbrkp

Cbrkp Well-Known Member

Thanks Melk, I’ll take a look at the caps to also make sure

11. emry

emry Can you count? 50 Fucking what?

The real question is does it do this when you are riding it? If this only happens in N on stands, don't worry about.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  12. Cbrkp

Cbrkp Well-Known Member

to answer your question E, it happens in gear while the bike is moving not just in neutral or on stands.

13. Cbrkp

Cbrkp Well-Known Member

quick update on some of my findings. ..

- Bazzaz is not the culprit. nor do I think the YCCT flashtune table is the culprit but have included it for anyone who can take a look at the tables and let me know their thoughts.

I checked the TPS in diagnostic mode and THERE IS AN ISSUE from OFF throttle to ON throttle. my values are 16-100. When I roll the throttle ever so slightly from 16 it jumps to 20. I can never get the numbers in between (17,18,19) except maybe 19 on the rare occasion. I can feel the throttle blades open and close like an ON OFF switch and it is NOT smooth. Thoughts? I'm thinking the TPS on the throttle bodies need to be clean and if not then replaced

YCCT table:
    [​IMG]

TPS VS RPM table:
    [​IMG]

General settings table:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
  14. cyclenut

cyclenut Well-Known Member

My 2008 R6 does that as well when in diagnostic mode, can even hear it click. If you pop off the airbox you'll see that the TPS is accurately reporting the mechanical motion of the throttle plates, ... there's a "bump" in the throttle plates travel when the plates just start to move. They can do that in diagnostic mode...I have an FZ-09 that does it too in diagnostic mode. I hooked up a portable datalogger to the TPS signal and logged it...the data shows there is not a "bump" during on-road operation when doing a smooth roll on out on the road.

You might want to check the APS (throttle cable sensors). Those are channels 14 and 15...make sure they sweep smoothly. On the YCCT....APS is rider commanded (right wrist) and TPS is ECU commanded.

15. Cbrkp

Cbrkp Well-Known Member

Thanks for this I’ll take a look tomorrow and report back. I’ll also try another whole throttle body assembly I have to compare.

16. Cbrkp

Cbrkp Well-Known Member

Quick update... tried diagnostic 01,13,14,15.

01 and 13 (TPS) are similar in that i’ll get a little bump in values when i crack the throttle. Ex. 15 jumps to 20 everything beyond 20-100 is linear)

14 & 15 (APS) are linear going from 16-100 but one digit isnt as smooth which is #18.

Checked with another throttle body assembly and sensors to same result.

17. Cbrkp

Cbrkp Well-Known Member

Another update. Checked everything and tried different flashes to same result. Only thing I found that maybe out of place is that the TPS sensor is not reading in its specified field from 97-106 (fully open). Reading is 94 when fully open. I did a resistance test and it’s out by .20 k ohms. Says it should be anywhere from 2-3 k ohms and I’m getting 1.80 k ohms

18. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

in my experience, when somethin is out of spec, that's a real issue :)
    have you tried adjusting the tps to get it IN spec ?
    never mind.. ya had same exact result with a totally different set of throttle bodies. weird.

19. alex127

alex127 Well-Known Member

I am curious to know if you have found the solution to that problem... I also have an 09 R6 that has the same thing...
    Please let us know!

20. Brutal

Brutal Well-Known Member

Im also curious if there was a solution to this issue?