1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is the SV650 the only choice?

Discussion in 'General' started by Repeater, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Repeater

Repeater USCGRR

Is the only thing a newb racer should ride is an SV650? When I stopped track days I was a newer “A” group rider. The plan was to get a RC390 when I get back into it next year.

Then I started shopping...... You Mfers changed that to the SV650. Then I got a bug for the 675r. Now I’ve kinda given up on the 675r and have seen a great GSXR600. Boring not what I wanted, but I know the chassis. I like the bike allot. Just don’t know if I would be over my head starting off racing one.

I stopped caring about tires. I probably changed them to much when I rode trackdays. I’m always careful not to wait till they get shagged.

SV650 or that comfy chair GSXR600 well kitted bike. It also seems the value to dollar of the GSXR is greater if that matters.

What say the beeb? My bike fever is driving me nuts!

Thanks. First world problems I don’t feel guilty about at all.

2. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

Get the GSXR There is a reason 600s are the most popular.

3. Chaplain45

Chaplain45 Well-Known Member

I have an SV that I'm thinking of selling. Just saying.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

4. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

The sv has always been popular,from the day it was released.Lucky for you,all the leg work has already been done.
    Lots of knowledge from guys here on that bike.Whatever size you choose is up to you.I have a friend that weighs all
    of about 130 lbs,and runs top 3 on a s1000 as a novice,and catches alot of white plates.
    Guy just has off the street talent.He didn't climb the bike class ladder,even though me,and another guy tried to steer him
    that way.Ride whatever you go fast on comfortably,and have fun!

Chaplain45 likes this.
  5. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

The easy answer is just get both. I really like to have 2 bikes at the track so if one breaks or gets crashed, the weekend isn't over.
    Here is another fact for you. You cannot have too many bikes. Just keep that in mind and a well set up first gen SV can be had for under $2K. SOme for even under $1500.

SuddenBraking likes this.
  6. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

That's why I still have mine. It's not worth selling. :D

7. Chango

Chango Something clever!

It seems like half of us have a clapped out SV we're thinking of selling...

8. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Well there you go but make damn sure it's clapped out.

TurboBlew likes this.
  9. Chango

Chango Something clever!

Mine definitely qualifies as clapped out. I'm pretty sure Broome would fill the country with uppercuts if he ever saw mine in person. Then he would start weeping.

TurboBlew and Sabre699 like this.
  10. Chaplain45

Mine is a fresh build.

11. vfrket

vfrket Lost Member

Me too, but we should be either 1) getting on track ourselves or 2) "sponsoring" a new young talent - take them to the track to ride your bike

r6boater likes this.
  12. Chango

Chango Something clever!

Well that's your problem right there. Nobody wants a clean SV. The real money is in clapped out POSVs...

Chaplain45 likes this.
  13. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

Get an FZ-7! I heard Erica might be selling her Motoamerica legal Yammy. That thing was a rocket on the front straight at NJ.

r6boater and Chaplain45 like this.
  14. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

My brother just sold his "B" SV for about what the Penske shock cost. ( he is the one with the broken femur referenced in the take-out thread )

ls650j.jpg

Ducti89, TurboBlew and Banditracer like this.
  15. Chaplain45

An fz7 would be cool.

ToofPic and r6boater like this.
  16. Repeater

Repeater USCGRR

Brilliant! Never thought about getting two bikes.

Mfers.

Sabre699 likes this.
  17. rocalotopus

rocalotopus thick member

way too much thinking, not enough riding. maybe take the thinking part out of the picture. https://www.ninja400r.com/

18. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

At Road America. Note the "B" bike with rains, ready to go. 916pit.jpg

ToofPic and Repeater like this.
  19. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

duh....nobody goes to the track with just one bike anymore. That is so 1990's. :)

I take 3, and believe it or not, i was down to one during a weekend. Bad death wobble on the GSXR 750, (bad tire), non-working Q.S. on the GSXR 600 that aggravated me so i parked it and gave ol faithful hell, the RSV4....Broomes' RSV4 i might add. It's faster than the others. :D

I raced SV"s in endurance...For me, my '12 GSXR 600 is very similar in handling, braking, and overall ease of riding. The main difference being top speed. I'd be hard pressed to ride the RSV4 for a full wknd. It just wants to rip your arms off coming out of every corner, but man it is fun....Are you sure don't need a liter bike? :)

putnam2018.JPG
    puutnam2018 1.JPG

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
    5axis likes this.
  20. Tas

Tas Well-Known Member

I’m in the same boat....need a right knee replacement and trying to figure out if I should part it out or sell it whole.

I wanna get into flat tracking or motard.