1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is the stock bellypan on an SXV550 sufficient for tech?

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by Lance Molnar, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Lance Molnar

Lance Molnar Aoxomoxoa

Have a completely stock SXV550 I was thinking of running for a weekend but am not sure the stock "bellypan" (more like a skidplate) would pass tech. If not, is there a good suggestion for what would be sufficient?

2. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

Per the rulebook:

z)All machines are required to have a lower fairing capable of holding 5 quarts of liquid. Machines not equipped with a lower fairing from the manufacturer may have a custom piece fitted. Any machine which has a newer or OEM “race” model may use the newer models fairing to comply with this rule (i.e. the TL1000S may use the lowers from a TL1000R). All lowers must be OEM spec with any necessary holes filled in. Lowers must be attached in a manner approved by tech.

By no means am I any kind of authority, but looking at pictures of your bike, I don't think that's holding 5 quarts :) I've heard of people using turkey pans to meet the requirement, but I'm not sure how encouraged that is...

3. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

Turkey pan is OK, particularly until you can come up with a permanent solution. It is put inside between the stocker and the motor. There will be no measurement on the 5 quarts as long as it looks like you tried.

4. Lance Molnar

Lance Molnar Aoxomoxoa

Cool - appreciate the input.
    Have have bellypans for other bikes, will probably try to see if one of those works first...just didn't want to put too much effort into a one-off effort if it wasn't necessary.

That being said...anybody else run an SXV and know a good basic solution?

Thanks again

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Skidplate won't be enough. Aluminum roasting pan from the grocery store or Wally World is your best bet. Moldable to the bottom of the engine. Get the kind with a wire through the upper lip of the pan, stronger and gives you a method of mounting to the frame with wire or zip ties.

Metalhead likes this.
  6. Lance Molnar

Lance Molnar Aoxomoxoa

Excellent - greatly appreciated.