1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it contagious? Does this place need another divorce thread?!

Discussion in 'General' started by Lazy Destroyer, Apr 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Lazy Destroyer

Lazy Destroyer Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure this should go smoothly as we are both pretty friendly about this whole thing. We already know who gets what and aren't arguing over anything like that. Or really arguing at all I guess.
    That's why we are looking into the easiest method to handle a divorce. I'm sure each hiring our own lawyer would be the safest bet, but might not be needed. Neither of us are in a position to be able to pay for it anyways. I'm planning on sitting down with her and verifying who gets what, how to handle some of the accounts we both use, and how to handle removing her from the home loan paperwork. I am waiting on our loan company for the paperwork to verify the costs and procedures required for that, and if refinancing is required or not.
    Then maybe looking for a lawyer or whatever to do the actual filing, and/or maybe helping with a document we can both sign that states who gets what so that it can be documented and final

2. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

[​IMG]

3. r6boater

r6boater Logged out

(At least in Indiana) one lawyer is the cheapest, just remember that whoever hires them, is THE client and will look out for the clients best interest.

When Draik's mom and I got divorced and shared a home loan, she walked away from it as there wasn't enough equity in it to fight over. She just signed a quick claim deed and I gave her a single dollar for it. If there had been equity, I would have just taken a home equity loan out and given her the portion of said amount to pay her off and/or refinanced to get her the cash.

Lazy Destroyer likes this.
  4. Lazy Destroyer

Yeah maybe I will look around to options for something like that. I just want to make sure things are formal and documented, in a way where once the paperwork is done, it's done. No going back. Not because I don't trust her, but because we both agreed that's how we want it done.
    She's pretty much walking away but just wants back some of what she has put into the house. I'm okay with that as long as it is documented and done correctly/legally, and a value we both agree on (which may likely happen unless things take a turn for the worse). As of now it looks like we will be able to sit down and agree to an amount that is fair to both of us, we sign that agreement... then done.

r6boater likes this.
  5. G 97

G 97 Garth

Good luck and I wish you the best but this seems to be how a lot of divorce proceedings start out but in reality never proceed. Good luck.

5axis and Lazy Destroyer like this.
  6. Lazy Destroyer

Yeah I say all this stuff with all my fingers crossed... :/

I would definitely be all ears for advice from anyone that went through an uncontested divorce (or at least started out that way), especially if you live in GA.
    Or any references for lawyers or whatever!

7. Gecko

Gecko Well-Known Member

Depending on your jurisdiction, some states offer a "Do it yourself Divorce Guide" to getting a divorce. Here in Connecticut, because there are so many self-represented parties, our judiciary has published just such a Guide. This guide being Connecticut won't help you, but do a search on your states judicial website for something similar. Also (at least in CT) there may also be attorneys who voluntarily make themselves available through a court program to answer questions and guide parties through the process. While the court clerks cannot dispence legal advice, they can be (and usually are) very helpful instructing you on the judicial procedures involved with the process. You both also might want to explore hiring a mediator (in your state they might be called something else) who will help mediate any issues that arise and help you put things together for an uncontested hearing before the court. Here in CT, most mediators are usually well-seasoned family law attorneys. Many couples who can afford to hire only one person/attorney, will go this route. Be mindful, divorces can go from zero to highly contentious in the blink of an eye. Sometimes voluntarily taking one or two minor steps backwards can save you years of emotional and financial pain and suffering. Discretion is always the better part of valor. Ps. Sorry to hear about the split ... just know that there is always a light at the end of the tunnel (and most of the time its not an oncoming train).

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
    Ken Mcdonald and Lazy Destroyer like this.
  8. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

This makes me Sad....:(
    Damn Blake.

9. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

10. Scott S.

Scott S. Well-Known Member

Hang in there. Just finished my divorce a few weeks ago. The life of an adrenaline junky following the big show is feeling pretty good. A race gypsy on the road. Twenty years was a lot of life investment in time. Some days are better than others since but they are all getting better overall. Keep hangin with motorcycle peeps. Oh, and ride often.

XFBO, BigBird and Lazy Destroyer like this.
  11. Lazy Destroyer

Signed the divorce docs with the ex today.
    Should be official soon.

Fencer and Jon Wilkens like this.
  12. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

[​IMG]

Wingnut and Lazy Destroyer like this.
  13. terminus est

terminus est Be prepared

Congratulations!

One thing that is worse than a divorce is a shitty marriage. Screw that noise.

Lazy Destroyer likes this.
  14. Scott S.

It will be a year soon for me. The part that still gets me is 20 years of my life. 20 effin years! Its crazy how the wife can simply switch off. I was served on Xmas eve in my own home. Hang in there, it gets better.

ToofPic likes this.
  15. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

I crashed my ex-wife's family reunion last weekend because my son's grandmother wanted him there. Folks asked me how I was doing, and I said, "I've been fantastic and gloriously happy since May 1st, 2013."

(That's the day she moved out)

eggfooyoung and Shenanigans like this.
  16. Scott S.

Crazy but I have been able to reconnect with my first wife. We had a lot of laughs. I know I know.....

17. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Many a great friendships have been ruined by marriage :crackup:

JJJerry, BigBird and Fencer like this.
  18. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

Very similar....
    Bitches are vindictive even when you have not wronged them

19. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

At least it was fast

20. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

You can be sure that in their heads, they were wronged.