1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is american superbike really this sad?

Discussion in 'General' started by vizsladog, Aug 25, 2019.

1. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

I'd argue no. Brand, yes, actual product, no. F1/Liberty Media quote they had 1.3+ billion viewers annually. Does Honda/Mercedes put up 8-9 figure engine programs because their F1 cars have anything relevant to their street cars? Does a Toyota Camry sell anything displayed on their NASCAR-mobile? And despite Ferrari being shitty as of late, they are still the biggest brand on the paddock. How many viewers do you think could afford a Ferrari? 0.01%? Yet the diehard Ferrari fans will still fly the Ferrari flag proudly.

Factory teams do obviously have a vested interest when their product is the star of the show, but the narrative has to expand to making the riders the brand as well, which establishes a long term viewer, and opens the door to other sponsors. Look at who were the big sponsors of NASCAR (Sprint/Lowes/Home Depot, Dupont, etc.), F1 brings in tons of other money, big petroleum, tech companies (Lenovo, Dell, HP, etc.), tobacco companies, watchmakers, etc.

The cheater way of getting viewers is to have those with a room full of VR46 gear watching, if they cut ties, who wants to put up the money? :)

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
    ducnut likes this.
  2. This isn’t about arguing. EVO was implemented as a precursor to spec ecu’s, plain and simple. Was done to “reduce”
    Costs but reality is it didn’t do much to reduce cost but it sure did get a nice payday for the series from motec. You think a spec motec unit on a 600 reduces cost? Tell me that after you buy a wire harness. What is there to cite? You think that stuffs written down? No different than the way they wrote aftermarket clutch rules, etc. minimal
    Rider aids are part of what make that series exciting. Spec ecu helps police that. You still need people to run those electronics, even on 600 teams don’t forget. Guess I just like to argue.

3. Debt sharing, new millennial concept :)

4. I agree with the rider/ driver branding, that’s damn important. Rossi could rally race a yugo and people would buy the vr46 Yugo street car. NASCAR sponsors are sponsors that can relate to their fan base, look at demographics of people watching nascar vs f1 and you can see where the different marketing strategies are. You think the avg nascar fan would even know what half the sponsors on an f1 car make if you put the car in front of them? Doubtful. Toyota was trying to brand itself in America which is why they jumped into nascar.

5. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

When it cost $50k to build a competitive soccer ball I'll listen to what you have to say about cost and comparing it to soccer.

6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

okay, where is the holy hell is the superbike race(s) shown? Could not find it al weekend.

vizsladog likes this.
  7. Venom51

Well that's one of the other issues. If it takes the same level of research to figure out how to view it as it does to cure a disease the viewership goes to shit.

zippytech and 418 like this.
  8. Hoffman900

Hoffman900 Well-Known Member

I could go to a SCCA Majors weekend and find 30 hobbyists who have spent that much on what is essentially a stock (Spec) Miata, especially when you consider trackside support....

Yes it’s a ton of money, but there are plenty of people with it. Convince them to start spending it on bikes...

9. vizsladog

vizsladog Well-Known Member

Crazy seeing how superbike racing was invented here.

10. Even some of the lower end of the spectrum car racing is very expensive compared to bikes. Great example on a spec Miata, amazing what you can spend on even those.

Hoffman900 likes this.
  11. But unfortunately we have a whole new generation not interested in vehicles let alone motorcycles. Sad that the passion is fading in all forms of transportation.

12. Hoffman900

Exactly, and that’s considered a cheap class...

13. Hoffman900

I’d say running and bicycles for sport are as popular as ever.

The thing is, none of those things require a garage. If you live in the city, which is where the good jobs are, then you probably don’t have a garage.

Look at all the millennials at a big downhill mountain biking event. 20 years ago, that demographic would have likely been at some sort of powersports race. 30 years ago, and they absolutely would have.

14. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

But they are "cheaty" cars in the 24 Hours of Lemons. :D

Hoffman900 likes this.
  15. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

Thinking like yours is what makes
    Yeah, because people buy $50k Desmosedici RR/HP4 Races as their first bike. ;)

Dave250 likes this.
  16. Venom51

We are talking about MotoAmerica Superbike. If you are playing there it likely isn't your first bike.

17. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Wasn’t there a guy at the GNF with 2 HP4 carbons?

Dave250 likes this.
  18. Great points, like this urban camping craze (used to be called living in a van down by the river :) Makes sense in some ways, I just like my space too much.

19. Cost of car racing blows my mind. I know a guy who just blew well into 6 figures because NHRA changed a rule in pro mod mid season. That’s just development cost, not thr cost of replacing all the stuff he needs for the new rules.

20. zamboiv

zamboiv Well-Known Member

Yep. I know a guy that wadded up a gt3 at road America and had a new one ready to go in month. Relatively speaking, racing motorbikes is cheap.

Hoffman900 likes this.