1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is A New Yamaha R1 Coming For 2023?

Discussion in 'General' started by YamahaRick, Jun 20, 2022.

1. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

I have ZERO idea what it actually means. I interpreted it as they're probably not going to invest money into a $15k street bike no one is buying anymore. I would be surprised to see them go bigger displacement 3cyl or something instead.

My guess is the R1 would stick around until the next time it needs serious money (new emission requirement time maybe) and then it'd be special order 'race use' only like the R6 now is.

2. evakat

evakat Well-Known Member

Picked up a 2001 RWB R1 in Feb 2002 as a brand new leftover from my local dealer!
    Will never part with her! She still gives me grins when I take her out for a spin.

Steeltoe, YamahaRick and rd400racer like this.
  3. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

It's crazy to think about it but in just a few years these early R1's will qualify for antique plates! Take it to an antique show and park it next to a model T. :eek:

4. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Isn't it the same power as a modern gsxr 750?

gixxerboy55 and Banditracer like this.
  5. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

- 2000/2001 R1 dyno'd at roughly 130-132hp and 72ft lbs
    - modern Gix 750's are roughly 123-124hp and 56ft lbs

Similar weight bikes and boy is that extra torque noticeable on the R1 over the 750, ESPECIALLY in the low-mid-range.

6. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

750 did faster lap times,on reviews back in the day.
    The current 750 is quicker than 2000-2001 model.

7. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

I tend to ride on the street in the country to get into the "fun" zone. When riding my RZ350 to works it was about 60 mph....over 100 on the R1. :eek: I might have a chance avoiding a deer on the RZ...no way on the R1.

8. gixxerboy55

The R1 was a weapon when it came out Honda had nothing Kaw had nothing, for the track.
    Then in 2001 Suzuki came out with there 1K

9. Greg ZX6R

Greg ZX6R Well-Known Member

I recall in 98 when Sportrider had the R1 and new ZX9 on track, the 9 actually had a faster lap time, but they liked the R1 better, or something like that.

10. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

That 01 gsxr 1k was a game changer, just like the R1

BigBird and gixxerboy55 like this.
  11. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I like the early R1 simply because it looks like the R7 and that's one of the purdiest motorbikes ever built.

No, not the current crap.

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  12. gixxerboy55

Read Motorcycle.com artical 2000 openbike shootout.

13. Greg ZX6R

Greg ZX6R Well-Known Member

That damn #3 cylinder!

14. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

Yeah, this sounds a lot like the street legal version is going away. I hope not, but it wouldn’t surprise me.

15. Black89

Black89 Well-Known Member

My first bike was an 01 R1. Such rough power delivery I swear my 05 felt slower but obviously wasn’t. Loved that 01 it was stolen.

16. evakat

evakat Well-Known Member

My 01 R1... Bought brand new in Feb-02!!!

Attached Files:

17. younglion

the ‘04+ version was WAY softer in the low-mid range and only made more power at the very top end, plus it weighed a bunch more than the previous Gen so you weren’t wrong, the ‘04’s were slower to accelerate for sure.

18. younglion

I was curious to see if I was dreaming what I posted above or if it was accurate so I looked up the info:

2002 - more HP and Torque everywhere until 9500rpm - massive difference from 4500-7500rpms. The '04 tops out with 20 more peak ponies though.

Weight they were actually only 4-5lbs difference - nothing basically.

19. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

I can be equally slow on either bike, regardless of what the reviews say!

Rugbydad and evakat like this.
  20. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

How good was that ‘09?

bleacht and Wheel Bearing like this.