1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Internet Tv options

Discussion in 'General' started by Robby-Bobby, Jan 6, 2018.

1. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

long story short: I'm done lying direct tv.

I love tv but only watch few channels.

I must be able to watch fox sports and bein and racing type channels.

What are my options?

I have a smart tv that has internet and amazon and Netflix already.

But I wanna watch supercross and not be raped by Direct

2. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

I was able to get Bein thru a Sling subscription last year. See if you can load the Sling app on your device.

3. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Sling is what you need. And Netflix for a bunch of good stuff.

4. I just switched from sling to Hulu live. The sling app on Xbox started to suck again and I was fed up.

5. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

What's your bill like now? Didn't you call before Xmas to get the mega credits? My bill is $23\mo for the next year.

6. Crybaby™

Crybaby™ Well-Known Member

I just cut the cord on Comcast today. Felt good telling them to F off but still attached via internet, for now. Cut more than $100 from that bill and replaced with Hulu which I’ve been trying for a few weeks with decent results. Did a ton of looking and while sling is OK I thought Hulu gave more content for the price especially local channels and sports. Hulu is technically still beta and the interface is more like Netflix not a straight channel guide

The only other that actually looks decent is Direct TV now. Either of the lower 2 packages really gives all I’d need. Only unknown was local content. I think it might be included just not sure. Also the cloud DVR was a question.

Conversation started a few months ago here
    http://forums.13x.com/index.php?thr...companies-and-cord-cutting-techniques.348504/

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  7. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Sling Orange has Fox Sports. 25 bucks a month. Watching the 250 main right now!

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Thought about upgrading Sling to get ESPN but it was more fun to take the boss to the bar to watch the UGA game last week.

9. SnacktimeKC

SnacktimeKC Well-Known Member

If you’ve already got amazon prime might as well watch Amazon Video, Man in the High Castle, Red Oaks, Jack Ryan looks interesting, and the Le Mans documentary is pretty good. Hulu too.

10. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

I thinking of cutting the cord. Is Hulu that good? I'm leaning very heavily towards Sling.

BlueonBlack likes this.
  11. thrak410

I'm on the fence with YoutubeTV and Hulu Live ... both have + and - but are the same price. I'm going to be demo'ing them during Xmas / New Years break and probably make the decision Jan1.

We're more interested in live broadcast TV, and unfortunately I'm not in an area that gets the OTA signals. :(
    https://www.fcc.gov/media/engineering/dtvmaps

12. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I have to get this done for my folks. Thinking about Roku. That plus Sling can they still get local channels? They're old they have to watch the local news or they won't go for it.

13. thrak410

It depends on the channels they want. Thats the catch with all these services. Like you get FOX and NBC on Sling but not CBS, and you can pay extra for ABC.
    https://www.cnet.com/news/directv-now-sling-tv-youtube-tv-hulu-and-more-live-tv-channels-compared/

YouTubeTV and Hulu Live includes them, but its $15/mo more than Sling Blue.

Steeltoe likes this.
  14. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

You can always go with an over-the-air antenna for local channels. Alternatively, in my area, all the majors have a Roku app. that lets you watch live. I mostly use it when I want to follow a breaking local news story.

Steeltoe likes this.
  15. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

PSVue. I pretty much have everything including an unlimited DVR, local channels, HBO, Showtime, sports channels, and access to all streaming apps for channels I have. its $80, so its essentially cable for half the price.

I am considering dropping down to the $50 tier and paying for HBO streaming separately. just havent done it yet though. gotta check with the gf to make sure she still has all her channels too.

ajcjr, DrA5 and Steeltoe like this.
  16. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Whoa that looks great!

17. thrak410

PS Vue starts $5 higher than YoutubeTV and Hulu Live, doesn't have as many channels and comes with a wonky DVR feature.
    https://www.tomsguide.com/us/youtube-tv-vs-cable-tv-replacements,news-24578.html

I mean, if I'm 'cutting the cord' its to save money. $80 for streaming TV (still needing an internet connection too) ends up being more than a double-play or triple-play bundle from Comcast, and comes with all the headaches associated with internet TV.

18. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

It's ironic that this thread got bumped today. I just got an email that some DirecTV packages will have a price increase effective 1/20/2019.

CRA_Fizzer likes this.
  19. jonathanp

jonathanp Tech drop out

I have an antenna hooked up to a TiVo for local channels. Then on the TiVo we have Netflix and Hulu.

20. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

theres no headache w/ PSVue and streaming on my AppleTV. its been more reliable and has performed better than any cable box I ever owned. the DVR also just works. the 28 day limit has never bothered me since I don't feel the need to keep shows around forever. most of them pop back up anyway. the days of Tivo and actual recording things are gone. cloud streaming services are the new "DVR".