Intake Boot and Manifold Repair

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by spoon32, Nov 5, 2015.

1. spoon32

spoon32 Huh???

I need some help from ye old vintage guys. I have a vintage mx bike that I have been restoring and have been completely stumped in my options for a intake manifold and airbox boot. The parts are NLA in both USA and Europe, the few used ones I have found are in worse shape than mine, and I have never come across new pieces.

Are there any secrets to repairing these? I don't know of any substances that don't further harden the rubber.

Thanks for any help.

2. yamageezer

yamageezer Well-Known Member

What part is it?

3. duck62

duck62 V7 Scooter

If it is rubber, I have had luck with using Yamaha carb dip. It softens the rubber.

4. t500racer

t500racer Looking for the Bad Teacher's thread...

A fabricator can make you a flange and spigot out of aluminum that will take a commonly available carb boot. Not cheap, but you will never have to replace the flange/spigot again.

I have never seen a repair to a rubber intake boot work properly or last very long, especially if it is cracked or torn, unless there is some magic stuff I am not aware of.

5. triplestrong

triplestrong Well-Known Member

What bike, exactly?

6. omnivore

omnivore Well-Known Member

I had used a soft epoxy type coating on the outside of some that had cracked on my old FZR600-worked good for yrs.

7. retro53

retro53 Active Member

Rub on Slotcar rubber tire traction oil or soak in Oil of wintergreen. Both soften rubber. You can boil boots in the wintergreen to make it MUCH more effective. Do not leave it in long, check often. Boil outside in a pot on a campstove or the vapors will.kill.you.