1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Insurance on bikes in garage

Discussion in 'General' started by Hotfoot, May 20, 2019.

1. Hotfoot

Hotfoot Well-Known Member

I have a couple of bikes in my garage that are not insured with full coverage, because they are race-only, and some that are not registered or insured at all because they were never street legal anyway (pit bike, atv, GP bike). I was under the impression that these machines, when stored in my garage at home, were covered by homeowner's insurance if the garage burned down, or a tree fell on it, or it was broken into, etc.

However, I recently was told by my insurer (Farmers) that NO vehicles are covered by homeowner's insurance at all, they are specifically excluded, any vehicle would only be covered if it had a standard street-vehicle comprehensive policy. Moreover, Farmers will not cover vehicles on the road in a toyhauler (ergo if there is a toyhauler accident, no race bikes or pit bikes or ATVs inside it are covered) AND they do not offer any sort of insurance for vehicles not registered for street use. So... what are you guys doing to insure race bikes at home or in transport in a trailer? Does your home policy cover things like ATVs and race bikes, if you list them and note their value? Or do you work with some other company that will handle these?

To be clear, I am not looking for collision insurance that will cover racing crashes. I am just looking for coverage if I have bikes stored in my garage and something catastrophic happens.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  2. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

whats the approximate cash value of pitbikes, etc?
    On my rv policy I have an added trailer rider that basically covers the contents as long as its connected. It has a max coverage of $15,000 .

3. Hotfoot

$15K would be enough to cover contents in the trailer on the road. Is there something similar available for the garage, but with higher limits? For example, if I have an S1000rr sitting in the garage, registered as non-op because it is race only and not street legal anymore, that one bike would be worth about that much but my insurance won't cover it. So the garage limit would need to be higher, or I need to find someone who would cover a bike like that, separately, under its own policy.

I looked at Haggerty and JC Taylor but they are focused (it appears) on collector cars/bikes, which mine are not.

4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Farmers doesnt have a stated value option for the BMW?

5. Hotfoot

I imagine they do, but my agent was clear that they would not provide comprehensive coverage on a race bike, because it is non-op and used for racing. I could probably find a way around that but I also have, for example, a Moriwaki that they won't cover because they have no idea what it is. I had a lengthy conversation with the agent and he clearly wants nothing to do with covering any race bike, pit bike, dirt bike, ATV, golf cart or anything like that. The agent could be part of the problem, or maybe Farmer's is too rigid in their policies; that's what prompted me to start looking for other companies that would be more flexible in allowing me to state a value for the machines and/or for the entire contents of the garage.

6. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

i went with Safeco as most homeowners will NOT cover bikes stolen from your house, and the house is only 1 place they could be stolen. What if you are on the road and they are stolen from the hotel??
    Paying about $400/yr for two roadrace r6's stated value (told them the extra stuff, built motors, lightweight wheels, etc), 5 dirt bikes (all stated value as all have additional suspension work, rekluse clutches, etc), a 2009 zuma (stock.. lol).
    For some reason, you must include liability but it's not a big addition to the premium. 866 472 3326

just ensured another 2018 250xcf KTM with $5k of additional shit.. $43/year.

Last edited: May 20, 2019
    Hotfoot likes this.
  7. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

I'd find a new agent. State Farm covers my bikes while in garage.

ducnut likes this.
  8. Hotfoot

Thank you, I'll give them a try. I am in California and I do think that is part of the problem, in researching what insurance companies cover under homeowners, it seems like vehicles are excluded from homeowner insurance in CA, but might not be in other states.

9. MELK-MAN

i just got off the phone with them as i had to ensure another 2018 ktm 250xcf, and asked if there are states it's not available.. she didn't know of any, but another agent i spoke to in the past did say something about it. Call that number i posted above.
    And need to consider a bike might not just be stolen from your house.. what about while out and about, or from a hotel parking lot.

10. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Sounds like the agent is being a dick. Doesn’t Farmers allow independent brokers to resell their policies? Could be they just don’t want to touch motorcycles. I’d talk to another Farmers dude, and give Geico a call as I’ve always found them to be somewhat motorcycle friendly.

11. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

K&k is who I used for this. They cover all my bikes and trailer for $500 a year.
    No other insurance company would do it, in North Carolina.
    It's fire, theft, etc. And they are covered while in the trailer.

12. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

request comp coverage or fire and theft policy. bikes, sleds, atv, utv ect... not covered under home or auto policy for another item, re: home policy theft, auto policy theft, trailer policy theft. just like the trailer is not covered just because you hooked it to an insured auto. if they dont collect a premium for it, and it isnt specifically listed as covered contents, you may (will) not be covered in a loss. Ski

Gorilla George likes this.
  13. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

State Farm covers anything on my property under homeowner’s. If I store any bikes in my storage unit, I grab a comprehensive policy that is $3-$4/mo, depending on the bike.

14. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

And you're sure of this? I was just told the exact opposite, by State Farm, regardless of location, unless I pick up individual policies.

Gorilla George and badmoon692008 like this.
  15. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

Same... this thread is one I was just about to start as I just had this conversation with my agent last week, and the broker she referred me to wouldn't touch anything that was used for racing.

16. Hotfoot

I saw their website and looked into that a bit, but a Google search on the reviews of the company caused me quite a bit of concern, have you ever had to file a claim with them? If so, were they responsive?

Big T likes this.
  17. Big T

Big T Well-Known Member

One of the problems you are encountering is that you're trusting the agent
    In my 35 years as an adjuster, I could count the number of agents that knew what the policy does/ doesn't cover on one hand.

While policies differ somewhat by state, the last time I read the exclusion in a State Farm homeowners policy it does not cover vehicles subject to registration. Being at home doesn't matter.

I suggest you all check the exclusions on your policies for yourself

skidooboy and ducnut like this.
  18. Hotfoot

I did check the policy exclusions, once I was alerted to the possibility that they might not be covered. The vehicles are clearly excluded, so now I am looking for coverage for them as 'belongings' or 'contents' based on a declared value.

19. Hotfoot

I used to have State Farm and that is where I got the idea my vehicles would be covered in the garage by homeowners, and covered in the trailer by the trailer insurance. However, I called State Farm today and asked this question and was told they do not cover vehicles in a garage under homeowners so you may want to check into it for your specific situation.

20. MELK-MAN

safeco will be best bet i suspect. they are a liberty mutual company.