1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Insomnia?

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Captain Morgan, Feb 25, 2020.

1. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Kiss it. His business wth the wimmin folk would sky rocket knowing I'm there.

2. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

No doubt.

“Hey, Mr. Quicktoy, what weapon would you recommend to fend off a creep like HIM?”

cav115 and Quicktoy like this.
  3. Ive thought about doing that. Lots of people (including athletes) swear by it. But how do you know what is good or not? One Amazon search brings up 37,856 results. There are also multiple little stores in my town that sell it. How do you know what is legit?

Quicktoy likes this.
  4. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

I've had some pretty bad issues with sleep in my past. Like you, I often turned to alcohol to help me sleep. It was what got me to an addicted state. Then, I added over the counter sleeping pills. It was all I could do to help me sleep. I was like this for about 2 years. Thing is, I could really tell my health was suffering. So, I made the New Year's resolution to go chemical free. I haven't still been able to totally kick alcohol yet, but I've cut my consumption down 75% and don't use it to help me sleep. Totally stopped the sleeping pills.

So here's the thing, and something I realized after stopping/cutting down so much, your quality of sleep still suffers even though you're "sleeping". Now, I get 6 hours and I feel like I've gotten the same from 10 hours drinking myself to sleep. The difference was apparent after just cutting myself off completely.

First, you're going to have to "detox" yourself. It's going to suck for 2 weeks. After that, there's 3 things that help. 1.) SCHEDULE! You've got to do everything in your power to stay on a schedule. That includes your daily routines all the way around, including sleep. 2.) Melatonin Some say it does nothing for them. Just keep trying and upping the dose, also different brands. For me, I take 20mg an hour before my bed time. Then, another 10 right as I'm hitting the sack. 3.) Eat a light and healthy snack right before bedtime. I eat a cup of greek yogurt and a 2% cheese stick. Also, pee right before you go so you won't have to get up and go in the middle of the night.

With that said, some nights you will still have trouble. BUT, again... quality over quantity. You'll still feel like complete crap if you drink yourself to sleep, no matter how much sleep you get! I'd say I'm at a ratio of about 4:1. I'll get 5-6 good to ok nights of sleep per week. At least one day is total crap; but you live with it and still feel a lot better, with a clearer head/mind, then if you keep drinking.

Good luck. It isn't easy. But damn do I feel a lot better, overall!

Gorilla George likes this.
  5. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Ahhhh...the ignorance of youth.

beac83 and scottn like this.
  6. The question (to the OP) is, how do you feel?

I don't think I have ever slept more than 2-3hrs at a time, and never more than 6hrs in a night. That's just how it is. I don't think I have been woken up by an alarm clock since high school. I always set it, but am always awake before it goes off.

At work, ill go to sleep around 10pm, then wake up around midnight to piss. Then ill doze off, and have to piss again around 3am. Then I just go ahead and get up, because I am in the gym by 4am.

At home, ill go to sleep around midnight, wake up about 2am to piss, then again around 5am. Then I just get up, because I go upstairs and do cardio at 5:30am. I have absolutely no reason to be awake. Ive got all day (or all month) with no obligations, except going to the gym. I could stay in bed till noon if I wanted, but I just cant. I'm always on the treadmill by 530am.

Even if we go out and stay out late, and don't get to sleep till 2-3am, I will still be awake by 6am. I don't think there has ever been a time when I was still asleep at 7am.

BUT...I feel fine. Sometimes when I wake up at 2am to piss, I am mad because it is too early to get up. I'm ready to just get up. Ive never been big on sleeping, but I don't feel bad either. I don't feel tired or groggy during the day. I can sleep 2-3hrs the night before, and still get in 3 workouts the next day...and will have to make myself go to sleep at midnight.

I am not doctor, but to me, I just base it on how I feel. The way I see it, if I NEEDED to sleep...my body would do so. I have been like this forever, but don't have a problem with it.

7. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

go out on a limb...make it inconvenient by adding hookers...hehe

8. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

I bought 3 bottles locally. Went with the one that felt best. Works great. The cbd/ weed stuff they sell in Colorado is weird to me because cbd lowers your weed high.

9. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

Label me what ever you want, thank you guys that offered real advice, I'll try what you guys recommended. I can only sleep normal when I'm working on a boat with long hours and a strict schedule. When I'm not working it all goes out the window. Usually I don't sleep the first 2 days on charter then settle in

10. R Acree

R Acree Banned

It is not intended to be a label or an insult, more an observation. I have had too many friends and relatives die a miserable death due to alcoholism to try and sugar coat the condition. You are free to live your life as you choose, but that doesn't change facts.

cav115 and Gorilla George like this.
  11. Captain Morgan

y
    Do I ever sugar coat facts on here?? Thanks for the thought, kind of riding this wave till it ends

12. R Acree

R Acree Banned

13. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

Wasn't a label. It was perspective offered with as much care as I can muster for a person I don't know but a racer that I must know at least a little.

Zoom out. Really far. Look at the data dispassionately. Or don't.

Then do what you want.

SuddenBraking and Gorilla George like this.
  14. Captain Morgan

Thanks, nothing personal

15. lrrs517

lrrs517 Internet Investigative Officer

When I quit drinking Halloween 2007 I didn't adjust to a decent sleep pattern for a few years. I wasn't happy with early sobriety either. But sobertime fixed many things and I have never been happier.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
  16. Phl218

Phl218 .

exercise , melatonin and CBD oil

i sleep ok when buzzed but also find myself being wide awake at 4 AM.

when i don't have a drink for dinner, i generally sleep better. taking a melatonin even betterer, but i can't take it too early or go to bed too early because of deeper but shorter sleep.
    with my knee i started using CBD (2500mg) and felt i was able to sleep very well.

cheers.

17. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

I'll be awake three days straight, then crash for an hour or two....awake a day and a 1/2, sleep a few hours.
    Repeat.

Came with the job, 24 hour a day car service.

Semi retired now but sleep schedule maintains the same.

I drink almost everyday. Lagunitas little sumpin.

18. Inst Tech

Inst Tech ain't no half steppin

Post your exercise schedule

19. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Maybe you cannot sleep on normally on dry land? You spend a lot of time under way on boats and maybe the rocking of the boat or the sounds of the water are what lulls you to sleep.

I'm sure the booze doesn't help, and if you cannot use MaryJane, then I'm not sure CBD oil will pass muster, either. IF I'm not mistaken, CBD oil had THC, the effective ingredient in MJ, so drops on your tongue or smoking it, you're going to pop a positive test regardless of whether you actually smoked the whacky tabacky or not.

In Quicktoy's case, the CBD oil probably delivered him THC while in chemo and that has shown to help with the effects of the chemo like nausea. Previous girlfriend of mine
    is living with metastatic breast cancer, and she takes Marinol to make the affects after her treatments tolerable.

20. Captain Morgan

I'm not sure, cbd comes from weed, but no thc???? Wish I could just take a big bong hit and fall asleep, now being an adult,lol, I will go on the internet tonight trying to find something because I can't sleep