1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

inner diameter of shims to put on GSXR shock? Help?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Devilredr6, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Devilredr6

Devilredr6 Well-Known Member

I plan to shim my 750 shock up a few mm's. I can't remember what the inner diameter of the shims were I used, 1" or 1 1/8" or 1 1/4"? Help, thanks.

Can anyone tell me? Not sure if the shock on the 750 is the same up top as my older 600 (even if it were I can't remember what size I used on it)lol.

2. The Wood

The Wood Well-Known Member

I took my clevis to a hardware store and got some washers. I used two 3 mm washers. The inner diameter of the washers that I used are 13/16. I don't remember the outer diameter because I had to mill the outside down to fit. The milled outside diameter is 1 1/8. I have an 01 750 with a stock shock. I hope this helped. I have two left that I can send you if you want to try them.

3. HFD1Motorsports

HFD1Motorsports BIKE TUNA

traxxion sells a shim kit or you go to the hadware store and make your own. My hardware store has some but i need to open them up a little to get them to fit.

4. Devilredr6

13/16"........I must have used 1" then. Thanks !!

What I use are mountain bike threadless headset spacers. They are aluminum and come in a variety of sizes from 1mm up to 25 mm and every size in between, or you can just get thin ones and stack them. They are nice, aluminum, outside diameter is only a couple mms wider than the inner and they are cheap. Maybe a $1 for two. They come in 1" and 1 1/8" and 1 1/4".......i couldn't remember what size i used. They go below the stem on newer style mountain bikes that have the fork shaft coming right up through the stem.

Thanks again.

5. The Wood

No problem Bro. If you ever want the ones that I have I'll send them to you free. Just trying to help out a fellow racer.

6. Devilredr6

What have most of you guys shimmed your rear on the new gsxr's up to? I thought maybe 5mm worth of shim would give me a little better cornering.

7. The Wood

I went from stock up to 410mm. Measure from the rear rider footpeg mounting hole to the end edge of the swingarm. I'm not sure what stock height is. I just know that I went to 410mm. I added 6mm worth of shim to the rear shock. A total of 410mm in the rear is ideal. Also, in conjunction with the rear, the front needs to be 10mm from the top of the triple. I hope this helps.

8. Devilredr6

Thats right about where im at on my 97-00 GSXR600 racebike. Sounds good to do to my new generation 750 also.