1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Informal Poll: Best US wrench turner for vintage multi smokers

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by uswjmc22, Jun 1, 2018.

1. uswjmc22

uswjmc22 Obfusc8

Soliciting opinions based on experience/reputation here guys.
    If you had a vintage multi cylinder 2 stroke (e.g. RG, RZ, or even a vintage GP bike like
    an RS500) who would you trust for tuning, rebuilds, maintenance if you were not doing
    the work yourself? This could even include machining/ fabrication work.

2. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Roland Cushway.

Lives in the Bay area, super nice guy, that is very meticulous. Tuned 2 strokes in MotoGP with Erv Kanemoto.

Willing to talk with you and explain everything. He likes educating you too, if you want that.

3. lrrs517

lrrs517 Internet Investigative Officer

Being a former owner of a 1995 TZ and armed with the most comprehensive owners manual that makes it like you have a team of engineers looking out for you I would do all the work myself so I know it is perfect. Sorry that I didn't answer your question as asked.

4. uswjmc22

uswjmc22 Obfusc8

Wow Rob, so Roland is still kicking out there? Good to know :) And education never hurts!

Boman Forklift likes this.
  5. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Lyn Garland @Yamaha179 would be the "vintage" tuner on the BBS (Georgia), or Chuck Quenzler ([email protected]) (Florida) as well. Here's chuck's info that I found online, as the 2stroke world forum isn't working so I can't get his info there:
    Chuck
    cell (727) 458-8619
    Team Scream Racing

Lyn is available on the board here via PM, I assume.

BlueR32 likes this.
  6. dieterly

dieterly Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure Roland Cushway was Luca Cadalora's (Rossi's current rider coach) mechanic when he won one of his 250 championships on the HRC Honda. I have been using Roland for my rebuilds the last 5-6 years with no complaints....

Boman Forklift likes this.
  7. uswjmc22

uswjmc22 Obfusc8

Thanks Rob. Best way to reach Roland?

8. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Bill Himmelsbach and he's based in PA. I think he's retired now but damn he is awesome with a 2 stroke

9. dieterly

dieterly Well-Known Member

Message sent...

10. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Pm'd you his number

11. SpeedWerks Racing

SpeedWerks Racing Well-Known Member

Where are you located?

12. uswjmc22

uswjmc22 Obfusc8

Thanks to all who chimed in. Have had very interesting conversations with Roland
    (gets my vote for the nicest homo sapien currently above ground) and Brian Turfrey. The latter
    is about the straightest shooter in the biz. The man has strong opinions but can back it up
    cuz he's been there and done that :crackup::bow:

dieterly likes this.
  13. uswjmc22

uswjmc22 Obfusc8

PS thank you Rob and Magnus :)

dieterly likes this.
  14. 90kacoupe

90kacoupe Novice seeking Help

Scott Clough has been great to me! He has been awesome to work with!