1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Infiniti G35 Coupe

Discussion in 'General' started by kaoyagi, Oct 18, 2009.

1. kaoyagi

kaoyagi Well-Known Member

Seeking some wisdom from the mighty BBS. Looking to get a toy and found a few decent deals on a 05/06 G35 coupe 6MT anyone own one/had one? Any really big issues with these cars? I've read about the HVAC and radio issues, but that seems to be limited to the 03/04 models. TIA

2. Turbotech

Turbotech Well-Known Member

Wife had a 04 sedan and not one issue in 50k miles..Never went to the dealer once...It ate tires, brakes and gas with a passion but all around a great car..

3. dubguy85

dubguy85 Well-Known Member

My mom had an 03 coupe as soon as it came out...6mt and all...It was slick...No problems, except it was HORRID in the snow with their traction control system...I had a trans am, and my trans am was like a tank in the snow compared to that...I believe they fixed the traction control in the newer models, so it shouldn't be too bad... And in NC it shouldn't really be a factor anyway...But other than that, I've seen no problems... My boss has an 07 and he loves it with no problems either... Id say go for it!

4. sch2046

sch2046 Well-Known Member

I love my Infiniti

I have the 06 FX 35, same engine you are looking at and love the thing. I does eat gas, tires and brakes but not one issue otherwise. Fun to drive and very reliable. I put 68,000 miles on it in one year and only changed the oil and tires. :up:(I travel for my job, not for fun)

5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Everything I read on them is that they eat brakes. Other than that, you can't kill them.

6. kaoyagi

kaoyagi Well-Known Member

Brakes- are those OEM brakes? I was looking to put either prefromance friction or hawk pads on it.

7. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Rotors also. Nissan must make their rotors out of frozen hamburger patties.

8. Cannonball39

Cannonball39 Well-Known Member

I had an 03 Coupe and beat the living shit out of it. Never had any issues at all. Put close to 200k miles on it then traded it for an M35X sedan.

9. SmokeDog34

SmokeDog34 Well-Known Member

We do , Thanks for playing !!! :up:

10. EngineNoO9

EngineNoO9 Well-Known Member

I had an '05 coupe that I put about 20k on and loved the thing. Only thing is the rotors warped twice on me and the paint is soft as hell. If you get a good one get the clear 3m stuff point on the front. I didn't and regretted it. I was also going to upgrade the brakes too (rotors and pads). Another thing to keep an eye on is the rev-up motors did have a oil burning technical bulletin put out as a bunch of them were burning a lot. Just keep an eye on it and if it seems like a lot take it to the dealer.

11. jkhonea

jkhonea Back Again

Yup, just issues above. I don't think the motor or tranny can be killed. I've actually always liked that car. Especially liked the new styling. Actually a pretty good buy, even new, considering the amount of performance and options you're getting.

What really shocked me was one of the mags doing a head to head between a new G35 and one of the new Hyundai coupes. As much as I hate to admit, I could see owning one of the new Hyundai coupes. Those cars have matured pretty damn nicely.

12. Neighbors of mine had an '05 with the MT. Never any significant problems that I can recall them mentioning. The only issue with the car was that the MT felt like it was full of gravel.

13. Italiantwin04

Italiantwin04 Well-Known Member

We have one and the only issue that I have is that the tires can not be rotated because of the different sizes front to rear, so the car eats tires very fast. We only got about 20,000 miles out of the OEM tires. As far as mechanical issues, I don't think you could kill that car if you tried.

14. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

The G37 sedan sport came within an ass hair of beating the 3 series in the entry level luxury car shoot out in Car and Driver. It destroyed the Acura and A4.

At around $10K less than the BMW.

15. Racer45

Racer45 old guy just tryin'

I love that body style. My wife has an 09 Altima coupe with that motor. Little different car, but no problems so far

16. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

I love the g37x but here in GA they don't have the x all wheel drive in stock. For me it came down to the A4 getting 32mpg vs 24 in the G. Otherwise it seems like a lot of car for the money

17. I had an 03 for one year when they first came out. No problems whatsoever, but I did go through break pads and rotors in one day when I took it to Beaver Run. By the end of the day, the pedal was going all the way to the floor.

Very fun car. Someone mentioned that it was bad in the snow, but I enjoyed sliding the back end around in the snow.

18. I traded the G35 for an fx35 in 2004 because I needed something that could tow my race bike. I have been driving that ever since, without a single problem. :up: to Infinity/Nisasn for making some very durable vehicles.

19. Lizard 1

Lizard 1 Well-Known Member

We have an 06 Coupe 6MT with Sport Package and it is one of the best cars we have owned. The technical bulletin is only for the 6MTs from 04-07, I think. Rev up motors...

We have no issues with brakes yet. A little pulse and we have about 50k in miles. So, probably time and I will upgrade, as well.

Car is bone stock with exception to the Stillen intake set-up which helps the car a lot more. Exhaust note is awesome for stock and the intake gives it a little more growl.

In the snow, it sucks like stated, but with Blizzacks, the car is amazing for a rear wheel drive sport coupe.

Parents have BMW 3s and compared to those cars, it seems to me that the BMW has just a little more refinement. The motors and the way the G35 runs and handles keeps it in sight and keeps it up there in terms of head to head, but interior wise and creature comforts, I will stick with the BMW.

Overall, will probably get the new G37 when time comes. Compared to the Hyundau, the new coupe is really cool, but it is short to the point you can tell it just isn't the same. For the money? Close clone. But, you end up getting what you pay for for sure...

20. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

The 3.5 motor sucks oil like its going out of style and nissan says that 1qt in 1000mi cosumption is "normal". Our Altima isnt quite that bad, but close enough and it makes me want to avoid nissan.

Other than that my mom loves her G sedan.