1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Individual Rider CoachIng

Discussion in 'General' started by lopitt85, Aug 21, 2019.

1. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

So I've been riding motorcycle for about 3 years now and have been riding track since the 30 day mark. I've been doing track days, watching videos, podcasts, reading, asking questions on boards like this, and riding as much as I can. And I've made some real improvements. But I eventually want to be good enough to race. I know, plenty are going to say just go race to get better. But I honestly feel like the speed differential between me (intermediate rider) and even just the advanced level trackday riders, and my need to simply have better skills before I race, means racing needs to wait.

So I'm curious about 1 on 1 rider coaching. Paying for a couple of days worth of track time where I have someone with the sole goal of making me better and faster.

How much does something like that cost? Anyone in this area recommended? I'm located in Wisconsin, Fort McCoy/Tomah/Sparta/LaCrosse area for anyone familiar.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Find the Yamaha Champions school closest to you and do that.

KWyman133, TurboBlew, ducnut and 2 others like this.
  3. lopitt85

I've read on here about the CSS, YCRS, Rickdiculous Racing School, and others. But i was thinking 1 on 1 with no other student or focus but me might yield better results faster.

WERA 904 likes this.
  4. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

You can contact Ken Hill, he has done it in the past.

ducnut likes this.
  5. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Pridmore does training events with MotoVid in Wisconsin. Farrell also does one-on-one work too.

If I were you, I'd make friends with an instructor and ask if they can arrange to work primarily with you at the next event. I've had extremely positive experiences with STT instructors. A good track day instructor should be able to sort you out enough to get into the Advanced group.

ducnut likes this.
  6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

At this point in your development they'd do a lot of good for you. They do one on one as well as group teaching and so on during the school. More effective than having to pay a single rider and learn just what they know.

Chip, No Brakes and ducnut like this.
  7. lopitt85

I listen to his podcasts a lot. Need to go over them again. Isn't he primarily west coast?

8. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    pawpawrc and Phl218 like this.
  9. lopitt85

Do they have websites to sign up or so I just need to Google their name and rider coaching/instructing?

I'm looking at signing up for a 3 day event at Autobahn for 31Aug-2Sep. I'll approach the instructors about some 1 on 1 work. Ive heard some trackday orgs offer it as an additional purchase, a fee directly to the instructor.

ducnut likes this.
  10. lopitt85

I'll take a look and see what I can find near me and pricing. Everything I've read as far as reviews recommends ponying up for the two day course.

And I'd take my bike with me. Is this the school where some of their drills require brake lights? My bike is set up for track and doesn't have any.

11. It all depends on who you want to do it, and their name.

It can range anywhere between $300-$1,500+ per day. Plus (at least in my experience), you will need to pay the coaches track day, and possibly other expenses.

I really think you would be better off doing a school first. That will teach you a TON of basics and give you things to work on. Then after a couple track weekends on your own, look to get private instruction.

I used to say “I don’t know what I don’t know”. That is the point you are at now. You probably don’t even know what you are doing wrong, what to work on, and what questions to ask. A school will give you that.

Then do 1-on-1 when you are trying to iron out the details.

12. LossPrev

LossPrev Well-Known Member

I would work with instructors at STT, Motovid, etc. for free if it were me. But, if you've got $2000-$3000 burning a hole in your pocket then absolutely the YCRS or Rickdiculous school would be fantastic for you. My buddy did Rickdiculous early this year and you are going to get more than just 1 on 1 there.

I was "upper Intermediate" at track days when I started racing and immediately dropped more time in 1 weekend then I did in half a season of track days if that helps change your mind about going racing.

Metalhead, badmoon692008 and Senna like this.
  13. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

What do you think causes this? Does the racing environment cause you to override and maybe take more risks than you would at a track day in order to keep up with the leaders?

speedluvn likes this.
  14. lopitt85

I try to heed the advice others, take suggestions and put them to work in a way that makes sense for me.

Based off the responses so far, I'm going to keep at it with trackdays and use the coaches as much as possible. Same time I'm going to start squirreling away money for my riding school fund to try and take one in the spring. Then I'll look into 1 on 1 coaching after the school. I think this will give me next riding season to keep developing, get my race license before the season is over, and start racing the following season.

15. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

The STT group that runs the Autobahn events usually have a bunch of coaches and are a good group. They’ll be wearing vests, so easy to spot in the pits. Simply ask one of them for help.

I’ve received guidance from Nick Ienatsch, with YCRS. Their school would be my pick. Both, he and Ken, have won championships and there is a rotating staff of champions, including Scott Russell, Josh Hayes, and others. Their curriculum and methods are proven and make sense. Their only negative is they’re predominantly at only a couple tracks.

Senna likes this.
  16. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

ATP at a N2 track day might be just what you want. Not over the top expensive and will give you most of what you need. For a school, YCRS is the tops but personal attention can be thin.

17. LossPrev

LossPrev Well-Known Member

Partially yes but it's very difficult to explain the focus or "zone" you can get into when the flag drops. I know for some people it causes them to override very easily but I don't. I ride within my limits for every race because I'm not doing this for a living. I have yet to crash in a race and just had my first crash in 4 years this past weekend during a practice session after someone hit me.

I think "keeping up with the leaders" is a misconception as well. You just naturally end up following those people that are slightly faster than you and since you are all starting when the flag drops they end up towing you along. Trying to work past them allows you to go faster without you even realizing it. I have found there are several tiers of riders in every class and my goal is always working towards that next tier. I have no business trying to jump to the top tier right away and simply put it's not possible, just too much difference in skill.

Senna likes this.
  18. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

my 2c is get 1 on 1 coaching, find the best you can get at instructing.. but avoid having them ride on track with you at first. this will cut WAYYYY down on the expense (risk and expense having a coach riding with you on track). Get some go-pro on board vids, and they can really dissect your riding just from on board vids, and watching from various parts of the track.

TurboBlew likes this.
  19. FourThreeSix

FourThreeSix Well-Known Member

I've participated in the Star School with Jason Pridmore, did some 1 on 1 work with Jake Zemke, and a few weeks ago attended a Rickdiculous Racing camp in Utah. I came away with something from each experience, but the Rick camp was hands down the best environment to really work on the craft without the distraction of the typical track day environment. It was as close to open track as you could get (only 4 other students). My instructor and I would do 2 to 3 laps on video and then come in and debrief. Go back out and repeat. Additionally, we drove the car around the track, so you could get feedback right there on the spot with the instructor in the passenger seat. It's not cheap, but it would have taken years of track days to get out of what I picked up in 2 days with the RiCK team. Highly recommend it.

Stork, Gino230, MELK-MAN and 4 others like this.
  20. Pitmom42

Pitmom42 Active Member

I don't see any comments or questions about how much of a mechanic you are. Racing is definitely a combination of rider and equipment to be competitive and see improvements. Geoff May was the first coach my son worked with and he taught him alot about bike setup. Boy did he go over alot in just 2 days of them riding and adjusting the gearing, suspension, position of the handle bars, rearsets, etc. Every time they came off the track they made adjustments and you could see the difference the next time out on track. We were very happy with his 1 on 1 coaching!
    All the mentioned classes are good to, especially if they have 1 on 1 coaching, but alot of them are 'rider' focused and not so much on the bike setup.
    You can also check out some of the articles or videos from Dave Moss. He covers alot about bike setup.

MELK-MAN likes this.