1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

In the market for a sport touring bike

Discussion in 'General' started by stickman, Jul 16, 2007.

1. stickman

stickman crash free since 5/6/07

My current street bike is a cruiser, Honda Shadow. I'm looking for something that is quieter and won't vibrate me to death for long distance riding. I'll keep my cruiser for around town, I love that bike. But just need something more comfortable for the long haul and highway riding.

Right now I have my eye on either the Honda ST1300 or a BMW R1200RT. I found a lot of info already on websites and bbs'.

I've read that the BMW does handle better (lighter). But the big negative to me is having to bring it in for service every 6k miles. I do my own service at home. Would that void their warranty? On the other hand I'm a Honda guy and a V4 would be sweet. Big downside is that I've heard they get really hot, and they are heavy.

Just wondering what you guys think.

2. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I find it mildly disturbing that I find myself agreeing with more and more of your posts. Please stop.:)

3. YamRZ350

YamRZ350 Nicorette Dependent

FJR 1300 (without the weirdo auto clutch) or FZ 1000.

Valve service intervals for either is over 25,000 mi.

4. Roger@Arroyo

Roger@Arroyo Well-Known Member

My dad's the kind of guy who puts lots of miles on a bike and regularily buys a new one every couple years. His last few were the ST1100 and then an ST1300. Just over a month ago he rode from New Mexico to Novia Scotia, through Canada and on a whim traded the ST1300 for a new Gold Wing. He hates it...wants another ST1300. I've ridden it a bit as well and really, unless all you do is go straight, I can't think of a better bike.

5. Yama-saurus

Yama-saurus Well-Known Member

luckily, (or not) i've had a chance to ride them all. even the new norge from guzzi world. st seems a bit buzzy and the heat is noticeable, but only at extended stops. the beemer just didn't feel right. it wanted to drift and wander on the road (asphalt, not grooved concrete) we checked tire pressure, steering bearings, etc, but it never would settle down. norge was "okay", nothing stellar, but nothing bad either, just sorta "there".felt smallest of the group. last 2 were fjr and the triumph. big toss up for me here. both are stump pullers with the hp and torque. both (but the st squeeks ahead) look really good. the fjr seems to have fixed the ultra heat issue it never had as well. from a yamaha fan of 34 years, i have to cringe and step over to the st, but just barely.even with it's chain drive.:up:

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

V-Strom.

7. RGV 500

RGV 500 OLD, but still FAST

FJR13 or the BMW

8. MGarrett50

MGarrett50 Ready. Set. Go.

I'm making the same switch, from a 97 Valkyrie to something sportier. I test rode an ST1300 this weekend, and owned an ST1100 a few years ago. I've NEVER found anything wrong with those bikes. But in the middle of my test ride, while i was going from 70 to 100 in what seemed like a heartbeat, i was reminded how BORING that bike is. It's so perfect and so smooth, it's like riding a sewing machine. It's a great bike, but not really any fun for me. I decided to go with an '07 Interceptor (anniversary edition if they can find one) with hard bags. Little less motor but bigger fun factor.

(And ditto what Mongo said about the V-Strom, great bike, just a little on the tall side.)

9. joe617

joe617 Well-Known Member

FJR

Love the looks of the ST. Don't want a chain drive bike for touring.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2007
  10. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

another vote for the V-Strom

11. MGarrett50

Pretty sure the ST is shaft drive.

12. rydfree

rydfree Well-Known Member

FJR . I rode the wheels off my '03 . I kept sticky tires on it , lowered the shield , removed the bags and played with the sportbikes back when I was stupid :) That thing could be setup pretty good . It was great to throw the bags on with a tankbag for the wife and I to go on a long weekend trip . When we arrived I usually detached the bags and it was pretty much just a heavy FZ1 . We both sat on a Sprint ST earlier this year because I really like the looks and specs of the Triumph but it sure felt top heavy to me , more so than even the FJR plus no adustable forks . Maybe I've been on the Busa too long :)

The Sprint ST is chain

13. bpeeples

bpeeples Well-Known Member

Fred,
    You might not be old enought for an R1200GS, but I love mine. I have ridden it across the country 5 times. It is coming up on the 48000 mi. service and is not 3 years old yet. I am not a mechanic but have done all of the services on mine, but for bleeding the brakes. It is easy to service and the entire valve adjustment takes less than 1 hour. I have had other BMW's, a Honda, Suzuki and Ducati's. None touch the BMW for easy, constant miles. Look at what the majority of the Iron Butt guys ride. Now if you want to save $7000 do what Mongo suggest.
    Ben.

14. todzuki

todzuki got OBS?

I'm getting a Vstrom myself, but have been somewhat diverted by the new Concourse. Especially since I'm a big guy. I like the FJR, but anyone riding an FJR that's over 6 feet tall looks like a monkey f'ing a footbal. New concourse 1400 has all the bells and whistles you'd expect and appears slightly bigger when next to an FJR. For the money, I could have a new 1000 'Strom and a new kx450f though.

15. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

If I were in the market for a big S/T bike, I think I'd try out the new Kawi Concours 14. The FJR is a very good bike,and would be #2 on that list. If I were open to alternatives from the giant fairing/big bike type of bike, I'd go for a Triumph Tiger. You can get them OTD w. hard luggage for $10k or even a little under, and they are really good at everything.

V-Strom gets honorable mention for being way cheap and a perfectly good S/T platform, but by the time I got done spending on the suspension and the bags, I'd be back in Tiger territory, and I like the Tiger better.

16. LordMDP

LordMDP ... ... ... ....

i'm kinda with mongo on this one

the v-strom is a true do it all bike

on the other hand if i was buying a purely street/touring bike it owuld probably be a interceptor

17. RGV 500

RGV 500 OLD, but still FAST

I'll be 40 in October this year and I really like my R12GS, but I REALLY like my Gamma a lot more. I don't consider myself OLD, just fairly experienced. I've had the GS to the edge of the tire (not a bad trick on the street) but the Gamma just makes me laugh hysterically when it hits 7k on the tach as the front end leaves planet earth.

The GS will eat up the road on long trips no problem. The price tag is a bit sticker-shockish, but you do get what you pay for. I had the dealer do my first 2 services (1k and 6k miles) since they were 'part of the deal' but I"ll be doing my own from now on.

If you go the BMW route, you do have to be cautious of the ABS brakes. DO NOT Mess with the system if you don't have the tools. However, they do let you do things in the rain that are pretty stupid for a stock streetbike.

I'm not familiar with the new Concours 14, but the original ones were basically unchanged since their debut. There are quite a few of them out here and the guys who have them plan on taking them with them to the grave, if that tells you anything.

18. MGarrett50

edit: ST-1300 is shaft drive.

19. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

No, doing your own service work should not void warrenty. Doing BMW boxer valves is still VERY easy(screw and locknut!). And their right there on the outside of the motor. lol Some will say parts cost is one of the big knocks on BMW. And they can be proud of their little bits. I 2nd what was said about the ABS. You need the BMW computer to bleed the brakes properly.

Yes the ST13 is big and heavy in comparision, but is pretty light on it's wheels going down the road. There's A LOT of argument about heat on new sport tourers. 1300cc of motor puts out a lot of heat, it's got to go somewhere! If you were full riding gear the heat you feel is minimal. I wonder if Honda America has finally put the top box on the accessory list yet. The first 2 years it wasn't available here in the USA. Can you say STUPID!! Honda claims the buck-and-weave-at-high-speed problem is cured. I have yet to see proof either way. But I have seen a ST1300 go bronco at about 110. Just don't go that fast and you should be fine.

Test ride them and see what grabs you. The BMW will feel quite wierd because of the front end. Feedback is....different.