1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

In ground Pool help

Discussion in 'General' started by casjoker, Jun 13, 2022.

1. casjoker

casjoker Refusing middle age

Inherited a 25,000-gallon in-ground pool (chlorine-based filter system) with the place I bought a few years ago. The first year I had to replace the liner and fill it up with no major issues, the water stayed clear and wasn't a complete hassle other than keeping up with the chemicals. Last year a bit more work keeping it clear with some algae concerns but again not horrible. This year has been a nightmare. I can't get it to clear up. I opened it about 4 weeks ago to a nice layer of algae on the bottom. I have added 33 pounds of shock, 2 gallons of algae kill stuff, hand cleaned 3 times, and run my robot vacuum for about 16 hours it still has an ocean green color and you can't see the bottom on the 3' shallow end. I have been to a couple of pool stores and they say my chemical levels are good and just keep adding shock until it clears up. I feel like it needs more than more shock as I have already added almost as much as I used all last year.

Yes, I should have filled the dam thing in when I bought the place but you know the deal, happy wife...blah, blah, blah. Any thoughts sarcastic or otherwise appreciated.

2. nd4spd

nd4spd Well-Known Member

What kind of filter? Cartridge, sand or DE?

3. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

What's above the pool?

Does it leak water?

Have you teated for phosphates or nitrates ?

4. casjoker

Sand filter. Not sure when the sand was last replaced. Getting ready to replace it but am worried about contaminating the new sand if the pool is full of algae.

5. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

I'd start with several large water changes

And yes, use a big ass shop vac and replace all the sand in the filtwr

BigBird likes this.
  6. casjoker

Treated for phosphate 2 weeks ago, nothing close to the pool in the backyard. The area doesn't have a tree or bush that dumps stuff into it, just surrounded by grass.

7. BigBird

BigBird blah

i would drain and refill. it's not that many gallons, so better to start over from scratch than mess with chemicals and more chemicals, at least my take.

G 97 likes this.
  8. casjoker

I have probably bled off and replaced about 25% of the water in it using the waste/backwash settings. I have considered draining and refilling but without knowing the cause of the issue I am worried it will just return.

9. nd4spd

nd4spd Well-Known Member

Replace the sand. Should be done every 5-7 years.

10. BigBird

BigBird blah

do you happen to put a solar cover on?

11. casjoker

I have a black mesh cover that birds love to use as a bird bath and shit on. I haven't had it on since I opened it.

BigBird likes this.
  12. BigBird

BigBird blah

I had algae growth only when I used a solar cover. When I didn't use it, it was pretty stable

13. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

If you're going to drain it and start over, I'd personally switch it to salt water and be done with chemicals. It will cost you, at least in my area of SC, about 400 bucks to convert the equipment.

sharkattack and Phl218 like this.
  14. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

It’s too late now, but over the winter, about 5-6 weeks before opening, dump in 2 bottles of algicide and agitate to spread it around. I say 2 bottles because I have a 10,000 and I use 1 bottle.
    I’ve never had an algae issue when opening.

15. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

You said liner otherwise I’d say drain it and skate it.

sharkattack and Knotcher like this.
  16. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

I love swimming and always wanted my own pool. Then I read these threads and realise.........nope. Too many bull sharks now in our river, so I wont go in there anymore. 5 bucks for the local Olympic pool........easy for the cheap and lazy types like me :D

BigBird and Phl218 like this.
  17. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I've been paying a pool service company. $90 a month they come once a week to clean and treat and I don't have to think about anything, water is always great which is helpful since the pool is open all year down here. Worth it in my mind especially since chlorine by itself has become stupid in price.

18. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

$90 a week? Damn, that’s almost $5k a year. That’s KTM mini dirty bike levels of cash for something that your friends will get drunk and pee in. :)

damn, just reread your post and you said $90 a month. That’s cheap and worth it. $1k a year, that’s just 4 or 5 baseball bats for a kid. ;)

19. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Per month :Poke: :D

20. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

yeap, reread it and saw the error. :D