1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

In case anyone is wondering

Discussion in 'General' started by melissa, Nov 27, 2002.

1. melissa

melissa Sir

take it on authority from me: a TT-R 125 is NOT, I repeat NOT, a wise choice for a hare scrambles bike.

Having never been to a hare scrambles event, I decided the best way to educate myself as to what it's all about would be to enter one. So of course I had to make Sam and Jim and a few other friends go with and enter.

Looking out at all the entrants lined up for the sighting lap before the 2-hour race, Sam and I concurred that entering a hare screambles on a ttr125 is like showing up for your very first roadrace having never been on a track before, and entering middleweight novice on your GB500 streetbike.

I think I can sum up my experience in two words:

1) Ow :eek:
    2) ee :eek:

I survived, but just barely. Three days later I can almost bend my knees again. So anyway, if there are any other idiots out there like myself who naively believe that it's possible, and perhaps even fun, to do a hare scrambles on a ttr125, take my advice and just shoot yourself now and get it over with. You'll be glad you did. :)

2. R Hood

R Hood Go NG Bulldogs

Glad to see you enjoyed yourself.

The first time is always the best.. Right....

3. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

"Nothing ventured, nothing gained."

At least you had the ah, "tenacity" to enter. Most of us, including myself, just sit on the sidelines and live our hare scramble lives vicariously through you.

I say "a tip of the hat" to you madam, for actually going forth with entering the event. The next one will be a piece of cake.

Besides, I believe you are about as vertically challenged as myself. How are you supposed to get back on a WR450F once you fall off the first time? I can't see carrying around a milk crate, to be used so you can step up and back onto the bike after the spill. :)

4. melissa

melissa Sir

Well, I found the problem isn't so much getting back up on it, but getting out from under it. That's one thing that little bike has going for it: it weighs nothing. Which is why I was hesitant to go with something a little better suited for that kind of riding. I think I'm going to have to go two-stroke now. I'm too old to be the only working suspension on my bike. :D

5. Slick-101

Slick-101 Well-Known Member

heh heh heh

I should tell my hare scramble story here. About 3 years ago I entered one on my CR 250. It was late fall and had been raining in WV for like 92 days straight. I made it half way around the first lap and crashed on a horribly steep hill that was nothing but rocks and roots.

Took me five minutes to get the bike turned around on the hillside.

Rolled down, tried it again. Same result.

Repeat 3-4 more times.

On the last time I crashed yet again only this time the bike landed ON MY CHEST. I was pinned. I tried "bench pressing" the bike off of me. It did not move. Gas began to run out of the tank and into my helmet thus turning the stirafoam liner into.... napalm.

I began to worry.

Then I heard a bike coming. "Great. Help is coming." I thought. When the guy got to me he LITERALLY used me as traction and kept going. That's when I really started to worry.

Eventually I made it out. Bruised, battered and beaten in every conceivable way. I vowed "no more of these."

Anywho, that's my hare scramble story (the short version).

I just got my GF a TTR 125L and we ride all the time on the Hatfield McCoy trail here at my house. It's AWESOME. I rode her bike around last weekend on some single track and had a BALL. If the suspension was sturdier it'd be fine. BTW, she now wants a 2-stroke as well. I see the CR85 in her future.

Enjoy!

Slick

6. melissa

melissa Sir

Okay, I admit I was pretty overwhelmed, but at no time was I ever in danger of my head spontaneously combusting. You win!