1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

In a 2 Wave Start, do you prefer the 2 board or 1 board for the 2nd wave?

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by sdiver, Apr 14, 2017.

1. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

I've seen it done both ways, asking because I prefer the 2 board but others might have a different opinion.

So it is
    1S
    Flag
    pause on 1
    1s
    Flag

or
    1S
    Flag
    back to 2
    1s
    Flag

Thanks!

2. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

I am lost on your 54321.......
    Last races I have been in were below

Start board
    Sideways
    Flag

Wave 2 repeat

Wave 3 ect.....

3. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

Turning the board over increases chances for a bobble and takes extra time (especially for a single class). One, sideways, go, and repeat seems to work just fine.

dsmitty37 likes this.
  4. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

54321 are the boards. Once you get to the grid you will usually only see 3,2,1,1 Sideways, and Flag.

From a racers standpoint, an extended 1 also means being ready with engine rev ups for an extended period of time. It's why I preferred the 2 board when they were waiting for the wave ahead to clear Turn 1. But I am looking for feedback before deciding how we do it this weekend since both ways are used. Right now I see 2 votes for not returning to the 2 board.

5. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

You talking WERA Here? I have never seen the 54321 Boards... At least here with WERA on the East Coast.. In the South

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

If you haven't seen us go 5 then 4 then 3 then 2 then 1 you're not paying attention - granted you shouldn't see the 4 or possibly even the 3 if you're on the warmup lap...

All starters do the 2-1-sideways-green a little different, that's why they go over their procedure at the riders meeting and we always suggest riders watch earlier starts if they haven't seen that starter before.

They also have different preferences on waves - personally I prefer the 1 board going back upright as soon as the prior wave takes off then sideways again. You'll know by your grid if it's going to be a fast wave or not - if it's the same class as you - and I mean totally same i.e. C Superstock Novice is not the same as C Superstock Expert - then it'll be fast, just enough to be nose to tail in T1, if it's a different class we try to give the prior waves enough time to get through 1 and do whatever they're going to do and have some time to get out of your way.

TurboBlew likes this.
  7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

One thing our starters will do as well so you're not full tilt at redline on the 1 waiting for sideways for your wave is they'll turn and watch the first wave(s) - then when they turn back towards you that's your signal to bring the revs up.

Going to the 2 does work great too - as I said, it's just a preference.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  8. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

Thank you! Appreciate the advice.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Oh yeah - whichever method you use, someone will get pissed about it :crackup:

dsmitty37 and JBall like this.
  10. t500racer

t500racer Never Fails To Fail

I always liked this. I knew that nothing was going to begin happening until the starter turned back towards the second wave.

11. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Go back to a #2 board? Nah,thats a time waster.....lets get this thing moving;)

12. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Pay no attention. Take off with the first wave. Pull in upon completion of that lap for your stop-n-go. Haul ass out the pits and hope to be ahead of the 2nd wave leader. :D

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

We'd hold you until the second wave passes...

r6boater likes this.
  14. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

We used the 2 board, seemed to work well in our situation with 15 seconds or so between waves and lower track density.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

If all the waves are between classes it's a good method for sure.

sdiver likes this.
  16. Lazy Destroyer

Lazy Destroyer Well-Known Member

That's how Bargy did it when I did my first two wave. I was concerned about it too, but Ed clearly watched the first wave get to T1 and then made a clear slow move back to watch us. His body movements are usually exaggerated a little, on purpose, which makes it easy to see even from a distance.
    Your starter may vary. Void where prohibited. Not available in AK and HI.

17. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

I don't take my eyes off the grid after the first wave takes off in case there's a situation. Control will tell me that 1 is clear and at that point I raise the 1 board for the next wave. I never use the 2 board for subsequent waves.
    To me the 2 board is telling them that the entire grid is ready to start. The second wave doesn't need to be told that a second time since they were ready at the beginning.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Depends on T1 for me, if I can see through it I watch the first wave go. Less radio talk is always better :D I always look back at the grid before doing anything else anyway.

19. ducatihottie999

ducatihottie999 Active Member

This weekend at Grattan Start/Finish decided to go with the 1 sideways green flag 1 board back up hold till first group to T1..... then sideways green. No complaints. And its normally covered in the riders meetings before each event its the starters preference.