1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm gonna throw this out... anyone want to ride motorbikes to Prudhoe Bay in August?

Discussion in 'General' started by motion, May 5, 2017.

1. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I have a small group of buddies... might be 2 of us, might be 5, depending on who bitches out. I'm departing Montana on Aug 10 on my KLR650, heading to Deadhorse/Prudhoe Bay. Gonna camp/camp/motel for the trip. I'm budgeting 16-18 days for the trip.

If interested, let's talk.

2. Lazy Destroyer

Lazy Destroyer Well-Known Member

Oh nice!
    Did that one back in 2013.
    Best trip I've ever done.
    There was a snowstorm at Atigun Pass even in Aug. Unpassable for a few days, way cool.

3. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

fuck i wish... bucket list.

have fun and post pics

4. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Hell. Damn. No.

:D Have fun though!

5. :stupid:

6. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I've been contemplating replacing the multi with something more off-road capable. If that happens I'd be interested.

7. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

The trip is all paved except for about 400 miles. A multi with 80/20 tires would be fine. Hell, some people take Gold Wings up.

8. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Hmmm so my POS Buell Ulysses might make it? That sounds interesting, never really done any long distance camping rides, but going to Alaska is something I've wanted to do.

9. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I don't see why not, Rob. Cmon up!

10. ducrcr

ducrcr reasonably fast old guy

It's an awesome trip! Rode my Harley FXRS up there in '89(not all the way to Prudhoe, only went as far north as Fairbanks). Favorite part of the trip was the Yukon. :cool:

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Put more dual sport tires on it and ride the Multi. I know people who have take them from here to South America and back - only issues were breaking aftermarket parts (mounts for the boxes they used).

12. Booger

Booger Well-Known Member

Hmmm, I'll be in CO and WY in early August, then was planning to fly from Denver to Whitehorse, YK to meet up with some buddies for a weeklong RV trip through AK and YK.

Trying to figure out a way to do this too!

13. Lazy Destroyer

Street tires can make it.
    I had Pirelli Angel GT's and did fine. However I would recommend a street tire with a little more tread than the Angels. I spun the rear a few times when things got snot-slick.

Don't forget summer up there is when they repair the roads due to winter damage. You will run into a lot of hard packed gravel from northern BC all thru Alaska, on the major highway. The construction spots will be from 2-20 miles worth at a time.
    Often they can get pretty intense.

JBraun likes this.
  14. Lazy Destroyer

Also the chip seal roads they use up there will eat thru tires. I got about 75% of my usual tire life.

The problem using a more 80/20 tire is you may be changing it before heading back home. A sport touring tire can make the whole trip

15. TKC80's!

I wonder if I get a plate on my 450SX-F how miserable of a trip that would be? Who wants to haul 18 days worth of oil changes for me? :crackup:

16. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

They make TKC80's that fit my 675!

17. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Just did that actually. I had a set of severely worn Pilot Road 4's on it for five days in Baja, and it sucked. I wasn't off-road, but the dirt and gravel was ugly.

I put a set of Conti Trail Attacks on it, and promptly destroyed them chasing sportbikes up and down Palomar. I guess you can't have it both ways... :D

18. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Interesting. I always wanted to do it. I was planning a ride to Newfoundland in September, but a family wedding may screw it up. If that happens I could be convinced to do AK instead....

19. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

The MotoAmerica Sonoma round is August 11th-13th and im going to be there with my son, so can't make this one.

20. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

You guys missed a great ride! A buddy and I did the trip and had a great time. About 7,500 miles roundtrip from my home in Montana. A little cold in some spots and lots of rain, but it was a nice ride.

This is Atigun Pass, about 150 miles south of the Arctic Ocean.

[​IMG]

plater1, bleacht, Rdrace42 and 7 others like this.