1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ignition Key Bypass for Race Bike

Discussion in 'Tech' started by FED34FIRE, Apr 3, 2018.

1. FED34FIRE

FED34FIRE Well-Known Member

Near completion of my 1994 Yam YZF750R Race Bike Project. Would like to eliminate the ignition key switch for racing. Could someone provide some assistance on how to do this or a supplier that may make a switch?

2. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

3. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

In the manual, Yamaha shows what wire colors connect when the switch is on. One of the circuits will be lighting (which you can eliminate) and one will be ignition. If there's a fuel pump, this will be controlled by the kill switch. Run those ignition wires through a switch of your choosing, or wire them into the kill switch and use it (Again, the connection is in the wiring diagram in the manual). That year doesn't have any immobilizers. Carefully wrap up the unused wires so weather doesn't get to them or exposure causes shorts.

malik ross likes this.
  4. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Just buy the woodcraft, and plug it in. Easy, and reversible if you turn it back to street to sell it.

Designed and built by a fellow racer.

Chaplain45 likes this.
  5. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

The bike's too old for Woodcraft stuff.

malik ross likes this.
  6. FED34FIRE

Yes, Spoke with Woodcraft. They don't make one for a 94 YZF750. I wish they would make something for us vintage guys. The 90' Super bikes are becoming very popular.

7. FED34FIRE

Thanks Appreceated

8. Scook2397

Scook2397 Well-Known Member

I know I made one for my 1st gen R6. Bought a used ignition switch off eBay and a rocker switch from Radio Shack. Rocker switch took place of keyed ignition switch. Not sure if I got instructions someplace. Worked fine for years on track. Still used Kill switch. Was able to easily re-connect original keyed ignition switch if needed.

9. Marid2apterbilt

Marid2apterbilt Well-Known Member

Or one if those nice multi-switch map changers. $20 on eBay. Usually have 2 on-off and 2 monetary functions.

Can't help with your specific but 03-05 run wires from red plug thru switch, blue plug jumper together or wire thru a hidden switch for a secondary theft deterrent. :)

10. ineedanap

ineedanap Well-Known Member

Woodcraft didn’t make one for my EX500 race bike either. I was able to move some wires around to make handlebar switch the on/off, just like the woodcraft harness on my R6 and previous SV.

No need for a toggle to replace the ignition switch.

I would imagine the concept is the same and you could do yours too....just different color wires.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  11. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

For those using the Woodcraft R6 harness, any parasitic draws with it in place?

12. ineedanap

ineedanap Well-Known Member

No.

13. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Keep in mind that using that harness makes the on board diagnostics useless. You need independent control of the ignition power and the power to the right start/stop switch.