1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If a helmet is Snell 2010...

Discussion in 'Tech' started by jon686, Jan 29, 2012.

1. jon686

jon686 Well-Known Member

Is it safe? Seriously...I know-Arai, Shoei are great lids. Case in point, the Bell Vortex which has also been discussed here. It doesn't cost as much but still has the same rating. Is it any less safe, or is it additional features and the name that drive the price? I found another brand helmet that also carries the 2010 rating. Hope this isn't a dead horse- I know this gets batted around alot, so I'm not gonna mention the brand. It's the same test process and product sample control right? I'm not asking about this brand vs that brand, I'm asking if it's certified, is it really? For what it's worth I normally wear Suomy, but I'm out of date this year.

2. madriders86

madriders86 Well-Known Member

i dont pay much attention to snell ratings anymore. when im helmet shopping, i refer to this and buy something with 5 stars.

http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/

3. jon686

jon686 Well-Known Member

Good info. I asked about Snell because of org/provider regulations. Suomy meets the ECE regs and is a known brand so most allow it I guess. Interestingly, the brand I was questioning was not listed, nor were the Bell models available in the US.

4. afm199

afm199 Well-Known Member

Most race orgs have a five year or so cutoff limit. I have NO problems wearing an older helmet.

5. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Yes, if it's got a SNELL sticker then that means SNELL has tested and certified a random sampling of that helmet's production line. It's not like DOT stickers where they put the sticker on saying "yeah, it should pass."

I'd rate Bell right up there with Shoei and Arai. Any of the big-name brand helmets are going to be very safe, and probably the vast majority of the not-so-big-name helmets. The $$$ difference is in the name, and to a smaller extent the build quality.

6. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

7. afm199

afm199 Well-Known Member

as the only helmet that fits me is an Arai signet or profile, that's what I buy.

8. beathiswon

beathiswon Well-Known Member

Excellent site. The Brits always seem to use the highest standards for helmet ratings too. Thanks

9. pefrey

pefrey Well-Known Member

That video on the sharp site regarding helmet fitment is excellent.

10. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

They've realized they must start protecting their teeth...

:D