1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Idle Adjustment 06 R6

Discussion in 'Tech' started by UGADAWGBEAST, Mar 10, 2009.

1. UGADAWGBEAST

UGADAWGBEAST Well-Known Member

need to know how! can you help me?

2. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

There should be a gold looking knob with ridges around the outside just on the inside of your right mid fairing.

3. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

nope.. your thinking of the 03-05r6.
    changing the idle on the 06-09 is a ROAYAL PAIN ITA. tiny screw located on the throttle bodies under the airbox.
    greg

4. UGADAWGBEAST

UGADAWGBEAST Well-Known Member

Thanks Greg, I remember you telling me that...thats the task at hand! Its a SOB for sure!

5. MELK-MAN

BEWARE however, adjusting the tiny screw then tightening the lock nut is not easy. Also, when the motor temp changes, so can the idle. I thought i had mine purring perfect at 2,000 idle. Go out on track and mid race im like "what's going on, is my slipper slipping more? " then Eric wood goes by me with the universal "your smoking like crazy" hand gestures..
    Pit in and pull the clutch in and im ideling at 5,500..
    If you can, mark the top of the screw and go like 1/4 turns at a time. You better have some patience and not have gigantic hands.

6. RockRocks

RockRocks head goober

clockwise = faster?

7. MELK-MAN

yes, but it is ultra sensitive. Nothing may happen for a 1/4-1/2 turn, then it a tad more it goes way up. If you don't have to.. i wouldn't mess with it.

8. RockRocks

RockRocks head goober

sounds good. it idels like crap when first started (which idleing is bad for the bearing I hear) so I will just hold it at 3-4K in the pit and not worry about setting it higher for when on the track, and let the slipper do its job. :up:

9. MELK-MAN

yep.. I don't have documented proof, but word from many reputable builders is that the bike makes less than needed oil pressure below 3-4k. So just blip it a bit when your warming the bike up.
    I never let mine idle, and my superbike motors crank (stock crank) looked awesome when we freshened it up at the end of 08.. and it had a bunch of time on it.