1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ICWA - Foster child sent to live with relatives

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by zx6rfool, Mar 22, 2016.

1. zx6rfool

zx6rfool Stacks Wood

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2016...oster-daughter-over-indian-child-welfare-act/

http://fox2now.com/2016/03/22/prote...l-from-family-under-indian-child-welfare-act/

http://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2016/03/21/santa-clarita-choctaw-nation-adoption-case-ktla-dnt.ktla

http://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2016/03/22/santa-clarita-choctaw-nation-foster-girl-removed-pkg.ktla

Girl has been with current family more than 4 years since before she was 2, and have been fighting to adopt her since then, now being sent to live with relatives of a father she never knew, parents gave her up at birth.

I think using ICWA in this case is crap, the girl is 1/64th Choctaw (1.5%). Thats more than 5 generations removed.

2. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Racists

SpeedyE likes this.
  3. chas

chas Well-Known Member

Welcome to sovereign nations within our borders.

To give a little more information, the girl actually knows the family that she is being moved to. She has had monthly visits with the family since she was two. Her two siblings are also in the same area as the family she is going to live with (I want to say one of them is actually with the family she is going to).

So it's not like she is being put into a family environment she has no clue about.

Not saying one side or the other is right, just that there is more to it then the headlines try to make it out to be.

4. zx6rfool

zx6rfool Stacks Wood

I didnt know that, none of the articles I saw mentioned any visits or siblings, only "extended family". Good to know, that does make a big difference in my mind.

5. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I don't know how close or how extended the family she is being placed with may be. I think the concept that a child can only be raised by "one of their own" is racist as hell.

6. chas

chas Well-Known Member

there are siblings as well as extended family.

7. zx6rfool

zx6rfool Stacks Wood

Found some articles that mention what you noted;

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/girl-6-foster-family-native-american-law-article-1.2572704

"It was the attempt at adoption that led to the family’s legal battle to keep her, though the court ultimately decided that she should be reunified with her biological father’s relatives, who are also taking care of her sister, according to the Los Angeles Daily News."

But wait, there's more:

"Rusty Page said that Lexi has had contact and occasional visits from the Utah family for three years, and points out that they are not Native American and only related to the girl through marriage.

The extended relatives place above the Pages on the ICWA’s “adoptive placement preferences” "

So ICWA was used to win the court battle, but the family that is adopting is not Native American, how does that work?

8. zx6rfool

zx6rfool Stacks Wood

Another fun fact, the foster mother, is Native American....

"They're moving her to a family that's not Native American; my wife is Native American. So at the end of the day, the entirety of the law is not about the Indian child's welfare, it's about the Indian tribe's welfare."

9. zx6rfool

zx6rfool Stacks Wood

Wow, gets even more weird...

The adoptive Utah family is a niece of the Step father to Lexi's dad. But apparently the father when he was giving up rights requested that Lexi go with his family, and thats when the whole legal battle began, and the foster family has been appealing ever since.

Man, I just hope the kid is surrounded by a loving family in the end.

10. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Children are pretty resilient, but the longer this drags on, the chances this child will get through this fiasco unscathed are increasingly remote.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You mean our nation within their borders? :D

12. R Acree

R Acree Banned

They shoulda kicked us out when they had the chance.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Agreed, it sucks they weren't able to :D

14. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Score a point for enforcing your borders.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:crackup: And having vaccinations!

16. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Meh, they could have developed their own biological agents. Hell, just handing out peyote buttons to the Pilgrims would have done it.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Wrong injuns :D

18. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Now you play the reality card. :p

19. chas

chas Well-Known Member

Nope last I looked all the Reservations fall within the borders of the US. ;)

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The res is a US designation, not one done by the original land holders. :D