1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ice skates - blade profile

Discussion in 'General' started by Ducti89, Jul 20, 2019.

1. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Anyone playing ice hockey have their blades profiled?

Since I come from a competitive roller hockey background, Ive become used to a forward profile, smaller wheels up front and larger ones on the back, throughout the years.

Now, fast forward 22 years later since being in the ice, my proficiency has come back after doing half a beginner league and a mens C south league.

Last night, I did an open hockey and held my own against college kids.

So, now that Ive become in tune with the skates, Ive noticed the toe portion of my LS3 runners on my Bauer Nexus skates getting in the way with crossovers, forward and back.

I have a nice set of step steel from Cahnadah on the way and will use my old steel to test a forward profile.

Just curious if anyone has any feedback since the beeb knows just about anything.

2. condon66

condon66 Member well known

Use a hacksaw to cut off the portion getting in your way. You're welcome.

Ducti89 likes this.
  3. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

I play and referee so I have mine with a “backward profile” since I spend so much time skating backwards. I have a pair of CCM Super Tacks and getting them profiled like this made a huge difference. The hardest part is finding someone proficient at sharpening your skates, I currently drive 45 minutes one way to get mine done. Sucks to take that much time for a 5 minute process but it makes a huge difference because I know I’ll get the exact same sharpening every single time. I referee around 150-175 games a year so I have to count on my skates being right. So yes if you have a spare set of steel, get them done and try them out to see if it makes you skate better.

4. Ducti89

Ok good to know. And there’s a guy 45 mins away from me that has a very good following for his ability to sharpen and profile skates.

5. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

6. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Ducti89 what the hell are you doing? Talking hockey skates on the extremely high, drunk, red neck, south loving Piggly Wiggly going BBS? You're out of your mind dammit. Metalhead, Gorilla George, Mongo and those from the left coast are going to offer their expertise about this at any minute. And it will be wrong like usual. ;)

Don't ever do this again

just saying

MachineR1, Ducti89 and R1Racer99 like this.
  7. fastedyamaha

Come on dude, can you picture Mongo on ice skates? :crackup:

8. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Don't really know shit about skates but the dudes I know that do have been talking up the True skates.

9. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

Definitely a better feel if you're a forward to get a little more weight over your toes, I just got new skates this year and they felt like skis before I got them profiled.

If I lived in an area where hockey wasn't a big thing I'd probably just mail the steels to a shop that knows their shit, even for sharpening. It's convenient now that you can take them out and then you wouldn't have to drive 45 minutes to get it done.

10. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

They're a really good skate but ugly. If I'm dropping a grand on something it better look good.

11. Ducti89

Id pay good money to see that!

fastedyamaha likes this.
  12. Ducti89

If I had a grand and a whole lot more ice time, i would. I only did ice for 2 years in high school. Back then, ice time was so expensive, so i did inline.

I need a clinic or two to get about college hockey proficiency and then theyd be worth the investment.

13. Ducti89

Well im an offensive minded defenseman. I just think a little less Toe (not what’s my move) may be more beneficial.

14. fastedyamaha

I got mine at the end of summer on close out as they were getting ready to bring out the new models for fall. They were marked down $200 so I bought them on impulse. Every time I put them on I think about the $800 I spent on them and how insane that was. Best skates I’ve ever had and reffing 3-4 games in a row in them is a breeze. Take your time and do some searching and you can find good deals.

15. Ducti89

Maybe after next season. You have the True’s?

16. fastedyamaha

Umm no CCM Super Tacks as stated above :crackup: aren’t you at risk for further neck injuries playing hockey?

17. IronCactus

IronCactus Well-Known Member

What he said^. About 25+ years ago when I played college hockey as a defenseman. All skates out of the box have/had a neutral pivot point I wasn’t happy with. I had my skate’s radius adjusted and it took a lot of trial and error to find a profile that worked for me. And having a competent knowledgeable sharpener is super important. Otherwise you wind up with guess work or worse, miss matched blades/pivot points.

@Ducti89 before messing with cutting a radius, have you tried a shallower edge, like a 5/8ths? And again, you need a guy who can properly cut skates. Most kids in shops from Massachusetts to Virginia have no clue what they are doing. If your sharpener isn’t dressing the wheel first and then starting with some witness marks on you blades you are in trouble.

R1Racer99 and Ducti89 like this.
  18. Ducti89

Duh. Im about half way into a bottle of Kilochmans right now.

19. Ducti89

Yeah Im at maybe a 7/16th. I always ask for a shallow hollow when i sharpen my skates.

Ive just noticed if i had a slight forward profile, it “may” be more beneficial.

Of course, it appears the competent sharpener seems to be the common denominator.

20. S Tsotsoros

S Tsotsoros aka General Tso

I’ve been having my blades profiled for quite a while and it definitely makes a difference. Think of it in terms of setting up a motorcycle, you have to experiment to find what works for you.

When I played Forward I used an 8.5’ radius with a slightly forward rocker. When I switched to Defense I changed to a 9’ radius with a neutral rocker.

This site has a good explanation https://www.noicingsports.com/skate-1

I’ve also found that my blades stay sharp longer when sharpened using the flat bottom V technique.

Ducti89 likes this.