1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want to race and have ?

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by Snow, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Mongo and company, I have a couple questions regarding the VIR 3/5-6 weekend.
    1) Will the WERA school be available on the 5th so I can get my WERA license and race on Sunday?
    2) Should I pre-register on the WERA home page(join) before I just show up that weekend? There are no clear steps to join, and if there are I have not found them. I have however found the WERA Motorcycle Roadracing Membership form but it requires previous racing experience or school diploma. I have neither of these just trackday experience.
    3) If the WERA school is available on the 5th and you are able to race are you assigned a number that weekend (if your current number is available to use) on yellow number plates.
    Any insight would be greatly appreciated, and if someone could just list the steps to get started(1,2,3,4 and so on) that would be moocho help for me and the others wondering the same thing.
    Thanks
    Snow

2. javyday

javyday Well-Known Member

Subscribed I am in the same situation. Experienced Nesba A rider thinking about racing for the first time. I think the information for new racers forum is a great idea!

3. simonburic

simonburic Runs Wide

Same situation as javyday. Would like to know this infromation in advance so I can race and so I don't cause the WERA people any headaches.

4. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

If you look at the Yearly schedule, any event that has an rs at the end of it will have the race school. So yes, there will be a school at VIR on 3/5.

You do not need to pre-enter for the school, just make sure to show up early for registration so you can go through tech and everything before class starts. You will fill out your membership at the same time you register for the school, so the school will count as your school diploma. You will be assigned a number for that weekend and once WERA processes your license at the office they will send you your actual number if it is going to be different than what you raced with that first weekend.

Step 1 - get your bike ready, make sure to have a check list of items that you need to take to the track with you

Step 2 - show up to registration 30 minutes earlier than when it is supposed to open to make sure you fill out the appropriate forms and get through the line in time to go through tech, etc. before class

Step 3 - have fun in class, learn a bunch, and don't crash in the mock race

Step 4 - have fun in your races on sunday

5. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

Here's the yearly schedule page:

Yearly Schedule

Any event you see followed by an 'RS' means it has a Riders School, which upon successful completion means you'll be issued a Provisional Novice race license. According to the schedule, there's a Riders School on the VIR weekend.

A Provisional Novice license means you have to complete two race weekends successfully (e.g. no crashing). You can then get bumped to "Novice" status.

I don't know about signing up online for non-licensed persons, but I do know you can complete this form and fax it in along with this Membership form to begin your membership and schedule your school.

My experience has been that the school is generally held on Saturdays, and includes classroom portions and a 'mock race' at the end. After finishing you can sign up for sprint races on Sunday - but make sure your bike will pass technical inspection, as outlined in the rulebook.

Regarding numbers, check here and see if your preferred number is available in your region. Pick that along with several substitutes in case it's unavailable for some reason, and put them on the membership form in the 'Desired Competition Number' fields.

Also know that you can always show up on a race weekend and register first thing in the morning. The registration line usually opens up at 7:00, so be prepared to start early.

(edit - sorry Paige!)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  6. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

Ha! Your post was better. :)

7. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

What? A TD rider looking to get into racing??? Something isnt right here....:rolleyes:

8. KillaR6

KillaR6 I'm Going to be a DAD!

Good info's! @ Snow i'm interested in racing too and I hope to see you there in class and race day sunday? :) What type of bike are you going to be using?

9. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

very helpful, Thank you.

10. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

GSXR 600

11. mag

mag Well-Known Member

Pretty sure passing tech includes the requirements for number plates. Even as a provisional novice.

12. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Another ? looking for membership fees, race entry fees on the web site and can not locate, thanks.

13. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

Fees.

14. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

looked every where but there

15. milroyjr

milroyjr Flatlander

This type of info should be in a sticky at the top for new riders..

just sayin..

16. turtlecreek

turtlecreek Well-Known Member

Great thread. TY. so i am one of those track day guys that has never raced, but am interested. i have run track days for 4 years, maybe 30+ days and am running in A at tally as i am familiar with it, but mostly intermediate elsewhere. i only get to ride 2-3 weekends a year now due to work/family obligations.

So, my questions:

1st, with only 2-3 weekends, it seems that i just dont "fit" the racing scene. am i wrong?

I have a 05 gsxr750 that i bought that has non-factory suspension, brakes and i believe, ecu (raced by someone, somewhere in AMA if it matters)

this would appear to put me in superbike B, but being over 40, i would qualify in Heavyweight. does this seem correct?

second: if running in midcentral region, if i race in 1 class (lets say superbike b novice), for a weekend of practice and racing, i would pay $125 for one day of practice and $85 for the class and unlimited races? (plus gate fee, wera yearly fee, etc) how do i know how many races this would be?

17. You pay for each race individually. There isn't a "one time fee" that comes with unlimited races.

You pay once a year to get/keep your WERA license. Gate fees are paid to the track as you show up.

As far as the races, you can pre-enter online or pay at the track. B-Superbike Novice is 1 race and you pay for it individually. If you want to race in more races (on your 750 that would be B-SS and/or A-SS if your bike is legal for it, or A-SB and/or Formula 1 if it isn't SS legal) then you pay for those races also.

There is a multi-race discount if you sign up for additional races.

18. If you take the Ed Bargy race school, you can earn your full fledged Novice status (lose the provisional designation) in 1 weekend.

You can take Ed's course on Friday, then race Saturday and Sunday. Doing so successfully (meaning without crashing) will give you Novice status.

19. turtlecreek

turtlecreek Well-Known Member

if i took bargy's class in 2005, but never raced, would i have to take it again to race now?

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

1 - yep, we'll have a school on the 5th. Be there at 7am for registration and we'll point you in the right direction from there.
    2 - You can buy the license beforehand but won't be able to race until you complete the school. It will get you an assigned ID and bike number if you'd like to have that ahead of time but it's not necessary. You can handle all of it at the track too if that's easier for you.
    3 - You get assigned a temp number that's easy to make out of electrical tape (there will be people with numbers for sale too) and then your permanent one will be assigned in the office the following week.

Basically show up at 7am for registration Saturday morning. Have your bike wired (if you miss stuff it's okay, we'll work with you to get you on track) and your safety gear per the rulebook. Everything else will be confusing but we're good at hand holding the first weekend since everyone involved has been in your shoes at some point.