1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want an old stinky Vespa

Discussion in 'General' started by motion, Jun 28, 2022.

1. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I dunno... they're starting to have some appeal. I love scooters in general, but the idea of an old 70's Eyetalian job with lots of character sounds pretty cool. I could wear a sportscoat while riding it. Anyone have one?

2. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

I had one. It was cool from a nostalgia standpoint and I generally love Eyetalian vehicles, but I have a Yamaha Zuma 50 that I like better. The build quality on those Yammy scooters are light years ahead of everything else. Maybe the Aprilia is an option if Italian is a must. Same engine in a different package.
    A Zuma punched out to 70cc with a pipe and carb goes as fast as you'll want for a scooter.

TurboBlew and motion like this.
  3. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

To me, a stinky old italian scooter needs to have the gearshift on the handlebar, right??

YamahaRick and motion like this.
  4. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

I read the title as "old stinky Vegas" and agreed, but Vespas suck.

R Acree likes this.
  5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Like Spang said: The Aprilia 50cc or a stink wheel Yamaha. They are stupid cheap fun.

even if you get a Vespa you’ll need something for when it’s busted.

joec likes this.
  6. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

The Aprilia and Vespa 50cc have the same 4 valve 4 stroke engine now. If he wants a really old one it's probably going to be a 2 stroke. Or he could go for the two-fiddy Vespa 4 stroke which are pretty nice if you want to hit the real roads with it. That's probably what I'd do if I was to get one. Over here they're dirt cheap because people don't want to invest in getting their motorcycle license (required to ride anything over 49cc).

motion likes this.
  7. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Quit fucking around... ride sidesaddle and wear a monocle and smoke a pipe

RichB, Boman Forklift and motion like this.
  8. Raceless man

Raceless man Well-Known Member

I just rode my sr50 to work last weeks, 30 miles each way. Took about an hour. Had to illegally use about 2 miles of state highway to make it happen. It was doable because its was a long downhill grade where I could hit 56 mph. I think the extended visor on the off road helmet was catching enough air to prohibit me from a personal best of 57 mph. I wouldn't do it again unless I had to,9k rpm nearly constant for an hour. Pretty tough on the scoot but It did it just fine.

9. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

1960's ones are where it's at.

It's actually in the left.:Poke::D

motion likes this.
  10. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Scooters are pretty effing cool. If I still lived downtown, I'd rock one for sure. It would have some engine work for sure and be ratty as hell. I'd put Slayer stickers on it to scare the old ladies out of my goddamn way. No use trying to keep it minty, mothertruckers in cars are going to back into it and tip it over anyways. Ask me how I know.

11. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

1979 Vespa P200E
    Four on the handlebar, clutch side
    2-stroke

Had it since I was 16 (1986)

vespa.jpg

12. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Hippy Joe had one of those aprilia 50cc stink wheels that I think he said was punched out to 70cc or something with a pipe. It also had an air leak or something that made it come hard on the pipe and it would go from nothing to full on like a light switch. Gawd, I loved that thing and still dream about it.

it was an absolute riot (if your were a bit insane).

motion and ungwaha like this.
  13. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Did they have old stinky Vespas with centrifugal clutches? I need to hold my Chianti with my left hand.

dtalbott likes this.
  14. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I thought this crowd would know that old and stinky def meant 2 stroke

bored&stroked and cha0s#242 like this.
  15. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I had a zuma 50 two stroke for several years. Great scoot, but missing out on the personality.

16. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

See? The death knell of forums.

YamahaRick, t500racer and motion like this.
  17. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

No $hit. The day is growing closer.

18. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Personality is overrated (never got me anywhere...)
    I'll stick with my soulless 2018 Xmax 300... 90 mph, 70 mpg, good storage (an AR rifle fits under the seat). A few weeks ago I took it on a "gravel road adventure ride" with about 100 guys on their $25K ADV bikes. There was only one "hard" section that had some deep rutted mud/water pits- it was rather amusing to sit there for a few minutes while 3 or 4 of these guys dropped their GS's and KTM's and need help righting them and then me scooting right on thru with no drama.

19. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

Yea 250 if you want to hit starter button and go and actually get there :). 50cc vespa is turd, had one and sold it in no time. 250 I ride daily

Attached Files:

Sabre699, cha0s#242 and TurboBlew like this.
  20. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Genuine Stella if you must have a 2T.
    The P200E is meh. Id rather have an Aerox 100.

Dont ride a modern vespa if you do get one.
    Definitely dont ride a modern vespa with a few malossi top end parts & some bitubo boingers installed. :D