1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I see the light at the end of the tunnel

Discussion in 'General' started by Dave K, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

2. ducnut748

ducnut748 King of Speed

How do you figure, The factorys wanted 1000cc classes, they have them, now they dont want to race in them.
    They dont know what the want. I thinnk they have gooten used to dictating to the AMA on what They want, Now they are being dictated to...hard pill to swallow. Not that thats A bad thing, they just need to relearn there place on the totem pole.
    Under DMG rules I dont understand why or how anybody would want to race 600's against 1000cc twins. We choose our route for next year back in January........they are twins.

3. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I still believe some of these issues could have been alleviated from the very beginning if DMG had at least approached the factories and given them the courtesy of asking for their input before annoucing any proposed rule and class changes to the public.

First impressions mean alot, and the first impression the factories received of the DMG takover is the DMG could care less about their input. This was not the honorable thing to do, which is a very important factor considering who DMG is ultimately dealing with.

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Simple Ducnut, they don't want to dance to the tune being called out so they aren't. Suzuki goes, they take all their support with them and there goes 14 out of the top 19 in superbike.

Think they are going to support M4, Jordan, KWS and the rest if they aren't going to support Yosh and the DMG regime? Think Kawasaki is going to support Attack if they aren't supporting Monster? Think Aprillia USA and Ducati are going to step in to save the DMG series?

No Suzuki money, no hom of the GSXR, no support teams. No Honda. . . you get the point.

Same as the rumor of GM pulling out of NASCAR. . .

5. Tortuga

Tortuga Well-Known Member

That report was grim indeed.
    Is it possible that the OEM's only sit out next year if the class structures are altered to the extent that DMG intends and then rejoins the show in 2010 after having sufficient time to put together a competative race program?
    If so it would be wierd to say the least, but may give a shot at stardom to some very deserving non-factory teams in 09. Assuming, that is, that they could put something together for next year.
    I applaud DMG for seeming to be responsive to the call of the people by not going forward with their origonal plan, but do they not realize how long it takes to implement the changes they will put in place?
    The whole thing is bizarre.

6. ducnut748

ducnut748 King of Speed

If I owned Suzuki, or any other factory. I would close the factory teamm and disperse resouces to 4 top tier teams, and have limited support for 4 mid level teams, Case closed, No worries, Large presence, Good teams and the factory would most likley save money.
    I dont understand what all the whoop-la is about, Its all about planning, Back in January when we heard about the DMG/AMA deal we started planning. Things have gone extremly well and we have had solid 2009 plans in place since june.
    From my experience with NASCAR, I learned that keeping an open mind and being able to change directions in A flash is A must. If you buck the system, ask questions they cant answer, Go against the grain......you will be out and thats that.
    If you go along with the program, support it no matter how screwed up you think it is...good things will come your way.

Ab

7. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

It's what I often joke about: Dance Monkey, dance.

Not everone is willing to believe the promise of the brass ring. The promise of taking superbikes to NASCAR is extremely promising but what have they delivered to date? They've pissed off the manufacturers, they've pissed off the riders and they've pissed off the few sponsors that are in the series.

Where are the fortune 500 companies rushing into the series to sponsor the teams? Where are the ANYTHINGS that have been spoken of? The Edmodson bullshit that has been spewn for decades is the same as his crap today: NASB.

Man, I hope I can say I'm wrong, like spec tires in WSK. But if I'm right, I'm talking of the death of the series.

8. Tortuga

How exactly do you have plans "in place" for 2009 race season when you don't know what the rules, class structures, tires, schedule, etc, etc, etc, look like?
    I have no idea what you're team is or experience and I'm not making any judgements, but turning a fully laiden tanker takes a whole lot more time and consideration than spinning around a dingy.
    There are huge amounts of planning and resources that need to be allocated to a factory effort. Why would any of the OEM's do any of that allotting when they don't even know what bike they'll be racing?

9. ducnut748

ducnut748 King of Speed

You just gotta listen to the right people. Plan around what they say. Its worked extremly well for us.
    I am not saying go out an build 10 bikes, but it never hurts to have 1 or 2 in the hopper ready to go.

10. ducnut748

ducnut748 King of Speed

I would like to give you the answers you are looking for but I cant. Its the only game in town so I choose to back it. It cant be any worse than the current AMA structure. Which I would never consider supporting under there current payouts/exposure.

11. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

But what if the factory doesn't have full confidence in the 4 top tier teams properly representing their products or interests?

To what extent should a factory commit to a team they have no say or control over other then providing go-fast equipment?

12. ducnut748

ducnut748 King of Speed

Its would be the same progam as Chevy,Dodge, an Ford have in NASCAR. None of the big 3 have A factory team, But the do offer tiered support progams in ARCA,Nationwide,Trucks and Cup. I would bet Suzuki would save money by making long term large investments into Jordan and M4. They are allready knocking on the factorys door, so with a bit more help they would be the factory

13. Tortuga

Ok, just to clarify what you're saying. Are you saying that you have connections to "the right people" who have informed you of what the class structure and rules will be for the 09 AMA/DMG race series? Really?
    I'm sorry, I don't mean to be disbelieving, but are you saying that you have the information that all the other teams currently in the AMA want, but can not get? The same information that supposedly does not exist yet?
    That you have had this information and are using it to prepare your race program for next season because you "are listening to the right people"?
    Wow, and congratulations.
    Just between us, though, who's the tire supplier going to be?

14. ducnut748

ducnut748 King of Speed

You dont have to be A genius to see what coming for the 600 class, Moto-ST on the same weekends as DMG/AMA events, You would have to been living in a cave to not figure out the Moto-ST twins would be leagle at some level to race in the DMG/AMA event.
    From they way I see it, it is best to sit back, Listen,study,plan. The people that are pissing an moaning are not focused on the rules at hand, When you are not focused, you are not learning.
    Yes we made some ballsy investments for next year but our decisions were not made with out merit, its paying off, we will be testing our bikes in september, everyone else is still trying to figure out what to build.

Ab

BTW, the 09 rules were on Roadracing world a few weeks ago.

15. Tortuga

Oh, ok so you're making plans for 600 and Moto-ST on a twin. Got it.
    That's a little bit different than say, a full bore OEM backed two rider superbike team trying to win a championship at the highest level of racing currently in the United States. Such as would be the case for all the people who are currently talking about not supporting the series next year because they have no idea what the rules will be.
    Sorry, my mistake.

16. ducnut748

ducnut748 King of Speed

My Bad, We are not interested in any of the 1000cc classes, We dont have the resources to support it.
    I would like to see some rules for the 600 class that would include.

1, No riders competing in the premire classes that are in the top 10 in points will be allowed to compete in the 600 class.

I know it sounds crappy, But we have lots of youg talent that would benifit from A rule like that. Also the factorys could use the 600 class as a devlopmental class for those young up an coming riders.
    It would also free up factory money to go towards 1000cc classes.

17. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

What difference would it make if everybody was going to have to use the same tire?

I think the factories are making this alot harder than it needs to be.

18. Racer45

Racer45 old guy just tryin'

I think we all need to drink the magic kool-aid and fall in line :D

19. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

nah, no room for kool aide, I drank the hater-ade.

20. 999

999 Well-Known Member

Yep. The only program that Suzuki and (apparently) American Honda are interested in is one just like the current one.

They wanted factory Superbikes, DMG said OK. Then they realized there would only be 8-10 bikes out there, and they wouldn't have enough lappers to beat up on, so they want to quit.