1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need Race Boot recommendations

Discussion in 'General' started by peter leduc, Jan 17, 2009.

1. Yama-saurus

Yama-saurus Well-Known Member

something needs addressed concerning those boots, me thinks:Poke:

2. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

Yes, It does. Send me a number so I can call you, and a time to call you.

3. Blue Junk

Blue Junk Well-Known Member

I have used A*'s SMX-3, SMX-Plus, SuperTechs and PUMA-1000's. I have tried on Daytona's and thought they were great, just a bit rich for my blood. I recently got a pair of the new Sidi Vortice Air's, and have to say they trumph all of the above boots in initial impression being on par with the Daytona's.

Now, I have yet to actually wear the Sidi's, but will this weekend. They seem to have better support than all of the above and on par with Daytona. At this point I would list them in this order, best to not so best (not a worst).

Daytona's
    Sidi Vortice
    Supertechs
    Puma's
    SMX-Plus
    SMX-3

:up:

4. Noodlerizer

Noodlerizer Well-Known Member

I have tried Puma's new boot and alpinestarts supertech r boot. Both are very comparable. The Puma boot is very VERY cumbersome until broken in almost to the point they are unwearable brand new. You gotta walk in the for awhile. I also think Puma has a quality problem. I tried on different colors of the same boot and some felt different than others, none were worn before. No complaints about the supertech they are easy to put on and comfortable.

5. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

man, the supertech R's are pretty dang hard to beat for the money. I think the inner booty has better design features than the Daytona's in that they do offer SOME side to side movement so they don't really feel restrictive at all. I have had some nasty high speed spills over the years and I haven't had a foot injury yet. Some of that is luck, but I don't think thats all of it.

Its also worth noting that Daytona and Astars have the right idea-having the internal bracing keeps the bracing a lot safer. Yeah, the Sidi's and other brands have the cooler look because you can see all that stuff, but they are much more susceptible to damage which then means your ankle has more of a chance of injury.

6. styles

styles The untrained eye

Stick with what the pros wear and see which one fits your foot best.

7. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Loved my Gaerne GRS. Nice wide footbox if you have Sasquatch feet like me.

8. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

They do seem roomy

9. Mook

Mook Well-Known Member

which begs the question..
    do the pros wear what they feel offers the most protection of do they weight the sponsor money vs the risk and then just about always take the money and the risk regardless of personal choices?
    or-
    since all the pros are indeed wearing top shelf boots they are most likely all going to do a very good job of protecting the foot.
    baring any weird twist of fate injuries that can occur regardless of the cost or
    design of the boot...

not trying to be combative or start any crap...:beer:

10. squish

squish Well-Known Member

:up::up: Love them.

11. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

I ordered a pairs of the Supertech Rs and they were a little big so I returned them. I ordered Sidi Vertigo Corsas instead and haven't gotten them yet but wondering how they do in a crash and how the feel is on the pegs. I've been wearing the old Vertebraes for years and never had a problem with them, just hoping the newer version is as comfy and crashes well.

12. Mook

Mook Well-Known Member

i have these as well. i haven't got to wear them "in anger" yet but i walked around the house in them for a hour or so and they feel pretty good for what it's worth..