1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new vehicle

Discussion in 'General' started by Rob P, Aug 14, 2016.

1. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

i am soon going to be in the market for a new vehicle. I am having a hard time deciding what I want. I am having a hard time rationalizing spending $60k on a new vehicle. I am also reluctant to get into financing although not completely against it depending on terms.

What I am looking for is a vehicle which supports my hobbies. I recently changed jobs and am within cycling distance so I will be primarily commuting via bike, so mileage is not a huge concern although range needs to be reasonable. I want something to haul motorcycles and/or a trailer. I need it to carry a minimum of three people. I want it to be fun, comfortable and reliable.

I've considered a few things. First, I have been considering a classic truck. One that has been restored to be a driver, not necessarily a show car. I've considered older Jeeps, K5 Blazer, early Broncos, ~70's vintage pickups, and FJ40/45s. Again, I would look for a good, clean example and I can work on all these vehicles but don't want someone else's headache.

My wife is a proponent of newer cars for the safety and convenience. Unfortunately, the newer they get the more diagnostic tools you need to work on them and you get more reliant on mechanics for service. I don't trust mechanics. However, buying a clean used car is not out of the question, although with a classic car you should have a relatively stable price base if you keep it nice. With a used car you still have depreciation coupled with more maintenance and higher repair costs (no warranty).

Then there is new. With new you get a warranty, a known maintenance history and you get to pick all the colors and options. Unfortunately it comes with a high price tag. I just don't want to spend a ton of money and I'm not sure what I want.

So I am asking the knowledge of the beeb. What would you suggest, given a cash budget of $20-25k what vehicle will best suit my needs while being the least damaging to my wallet?

2. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

For every day driving around and ability to tow, haul bikes or crap for work around house, ability to drive in snow...etc I drive 01 silverado.
    They only worth $6-7k so hard to beat what you get for money.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  3. PATBAROK

PATBAROK I <3 Poontang

Certified pre-owned Tundra Crew Max

4. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

A box of tampons, you whine like a menstrual teenager. :Poke: :Poke:

5. SpeedyTide

SpeedyTide 'Bama's Bad Boy

6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

If it is just the two of you what about a new Subaru Crosstek? That is if you can find one, it's slow and it comes with a hacky sack, frisbee and two tickets to the lilith fair but it's reliable and Sarah McLachlan is not all that horrible of a musician.

bleacht and condon66 like this.
  7. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Ford has zero% on trucks. You can get a base model on the cheap…..way under 60k

8. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

Yup, people throw around the big $$$ numbers but a current year model crew cab F150 in one of the mid level trims is in the $40-45K range.

Trade-in vehicle worth anything?

If you think those "classic" vehicles you described being daily driven, hauling people, supporting hobbies etc. would be a cost friendly option IMHO you're off. Maintenance/ repair bills will be piling up quick and high.
    You buy something new and it's under warranty bumper to bumper and almost completely maintenance free for years to come.

Listen to your wife, she's right on this one.

9. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

You can get a 2016 F250 4wd super crew long bed XLT gasser for ~$40k with 0%.

10. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Why would anyone want that truck? F-250 means terrible ride. Crew cab and long bed means it'll be a bitch to drive and park. Gas means it'll have no resale value.

Phl218 likes this.
  11. eggfooyoung

Because they're not that tough to wheel, it's a truck after all and not everyone needs to roll coal?

12. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

Or he can easily find a overstock 15' Dodge 2500 crew cab nicely optioned Cummins for around the same price.

13. condon66

condon66 Member well known

:crackup::crackup::crackup:

14. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

Some days you're just glad to have a boy instead of a house full of girls. Good luck with that:Poke::D

15. eggfooyoung

Wouldn't know. I get A plan from both Ford and GM, so I don't even look at other makes.

16. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

I used to drive a ram crew cab with long bed. You should have seen me parallel park it, it was like watching DaVinci paint.
    Ride quality sucked ass though.

17. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

I have all three makes covered, nothing Japanese though.

Ty likes this.
  18. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

I've got a contingency plan for the puberty years. It involves a chunk of flexible ducting and a closed garage door. :D

19. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

And blue oval means you got your prostate punched. :D

20. condon66

condon66 Member well known

The cost of keeping an older truck going is waaaaay cheaper than buying a new one. But, there is the feeling of trust when traveling in a newer vehicle. I have always worked on my own so I feel completely confident in knowing what I have rolling down the road. To the OP, buy what you can afford. Something that isn't going make you sick every month when the payment is due.