1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun safe...lets talk security today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by DmanSlam, May 24, 2020.

1. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

A discussion about new handguns warrants a separate discussion about gun security and storage. So I'm seeking input here.

Handgun & Long gun safes: https://www.pewpewtactical.com/best-gun-safes/
    • I'm thinking price, thickness and best tech/usability features come to mind.
    Handgun cases: https://www.pewpewtactical.com/best-gun-cases/
    • I'm thinking about transport here and ease of use should I need to grab one quickly in the middle of the middle of the night (thinking that's not really ideal though).
    Sister discussion: http://forums.13x.com/index.php?thr...alk-guns-today-d.247297/page-275#post-5723699

2. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

Free standing safe for long guns and hand guns and important papers and other valuable items:

Liberty or Champion

For purely quick access but safe secure handgun only:

www.thegunbox.com

RFID, Biometric, Pin Code and Bluetooth access all in one.

3. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

I got a pretty sweet Black Friday deal on a Browning Yukon Gold safe last year and have been quite pleased with it. Build quality seems nice and it came with internal routing for a light and dehumidifier (very important, especially if you're going to anchor it down in a garage otherwise not completely climate controlled environment). And I like that Browning seems to provide some good modularity with various different types of shelving and door panels you can buy to change the layout. I actually had my eye on Liberty safes prior to that. They're also supposed to be some of the best deals out there. From what I understand, the Cabela's branded safes are actually just rebranded Libertys and lots of people claim they're the best value on the market.

Pro-tip: if you think there's any chance you will continue to buy more guns in the future and pursue this as a hobby, buy bigger than you think you need. It will fill up fast. Also, do not trust the gun count rating on any safe. If it says it's a 36 gun safe, that means you may be able to fit a combination of handguns and long guns with no optics and internal magazines only IF that's all you put in there. Adding optics, magazines, ammo, or any other important items will quickly reduce this count.

I'm also going to follow this about quick access handguns safes/lock boxes. My little one is getting close to the age where keeping my carry pistol can't just live in the bedstand at night any longer. But I still don't fully trust all the new tech with biometrics and shit. If I could've found a long gun safe I wanted with a mechanical lock, I would have. But it's also a bit of a conundrum because I know any kind of mechanical locking device will take a lot longer to access in case of an emergency.

4. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

Lincoln Franklin Series for over 15 years, great safe. If I bought today, Lincoln again, but the Lincoln Series.

5. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Amen on gun count. No way the numbers match w/o dinging things up.
    Get twice what it says you need. Got six guns? Get a 12 gun safe.
    If you really care about your guns, where they might end up or they are otherwise monetarily valuable, get a safe that you and three of your buddies can't lift without using straps, tools, etc.
    Heavier is betterer...and fire rating. Get the highest fire rating. You may also be storing Titles, Deeds, Documents, CASH...

6. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

[​IMG]

Im avoiding a gun safe for the time being. I had a break in a couple of years ago and had a Glock 23 with pre-ban mags (holds well more than 10 rounds.) stolen. I have to these (Company name is Stackon- In Wall Security cabinet) concealed in the house. It currently serves my purpose. It’s not a safe but after the break-in I sleep so much better now my arsenal is “secure”.

DmanSlam likes this.
  7. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

I like the idea of an in-wall security cabinet. I live a rental, though, so this idea has to wait till I'm back to home ownership.

Appreciate the other mentionables. I see delivery and installation services is something that product brands offer. I will utilize those services for obvious reasons. :)

8. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

DmanSlam likes this.