1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

An SBR is based on the overall length and the barrel length.
    From the ATF: https://www.atf.gov/firearms/firearms-guide-identification-firearms-section-5

The AR-15 link you posted is technically a pistol regardless of what marketing words they are using.

What is somewhat confusing is the designation of the AR-15 lower. This is how the manufacturer designates the lower upon completion of fabrication.
    Keep in mind the following is "technically" what you are supposed to do, not what may happen in real life.
    Designated as a Rifle lower: May only be made into a rifle
    Designated as a Pistol lower: May be made into a rifle or pistol
    Designated as Other* lower: May be made into a rifle, not prohibited from being made into pistol

The chances of someone stopping you while out shooting, and validating that the lower is being used for intended purpose as above is way less than zero unless you are planning a Broome styled raid on the local bank. Then it's just extra charges after the fact.

*Other in this case is not the same as the ATF AOW designation.
    As previously stated, in that photo, due to the addition of the vertical handgrip, you would need to purchase that as an SBR, and thus $200 stamp.

Gorilla George likes this.
  2. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Yea, I found that kind of interesting as well. As I was reading through that link, I expected to see that it did not utilize a rifled barrel but lo and behold, it is rifled. I don't drive a yeller Ferrari but I really thought that put it in SBR status with a sub-16" barrel.

3. redtailracing

SBR is not required to have a stock. A stock simply makes it an SBR. The pistol brace just helps you skirt that rule. However, there are other things that can also make it an SBR, such as a vertical foregrip.

4. Chango

Chango Something clever!

That vertical foregrip is problematic as those are not allowed on AR pistols according to the ATF. I wouldn't be willing to get into a semantic argument with the ATF over it so I wouldn't buy that particular one because I've never met a government employee with a sense of humor and I'm a little bitch about things like not going to prison for a decade.

speedluvn likes this.
  5. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

That's interesting. They're specifically made for problematic states like NJ/NY/MA/CT and they seem to sell like hotcakes up around these parts where they fall into the non-NFA category.

6. Chango

Chango Something clever!

Huh. My understanding may be completely wrong then. It wouldn't be the first time, but I've seen so many guys warning about not putting a vertical foregeip on AR pistols because of the ATF. The only exception I am aware of is there is one "vertical" foregrip that isn't technically at 90° to the barrel and therefore not vertical according to the dictionary definition. But, like I said, I've been wrong before.

7. redtailracing

Id still steer clear of that one. If it was just me, id say I’m probably missing something but seems a few others on here have the same reservations and it’s just not worth the potential nightmare it could entail.

8. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

It was my understanding that no vertical grips on an AR pistol too.

From the link, the company specifically states that this firearm is not to be fired from the shoulder position but with two hands. Good luck with that one! :rolleyes:

9. Jedb

Referred to as an angled fore-grip

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

Angled fore grips are fine on pistols. vertical grips are a no-no. When it's angled to less than 90 degrees is where it's a no mans land. Technically you might be OK but no one wants to be the guinea pig for the BATFE on that one. The BCM mod 3 comes to mind as being slightly less than 90 degree.

11. Jedb

I know everyone has different comfort levels with pushing letter of law vs. intent (speeding as an example). My AR-Pistol with the above AFG is the limit to my willingness to configure a non-NFA item.

Less governmental interaction into my life is usually a better result.

gt#179 likes this.
  12. DaveB

DaveB Just Riding Around

13. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Now you've done it.

14. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

They had ammo so I couldn’t resist getting a boom stick. Gonna lay the smack down after Christmas

[​IMG]

15. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Serious question - When you're out, do you have any anxieties shouldering your AR pistol?

16. Jedb

I belong to a private range and no one there gives a fuck about the shouldering.

The Range Officer only cares that I don’t do rapid fire.

if I go with buddies to BLM (Bureau of Land Management) there’s no one around except us.

Since I have NFA items, my understanding is that they can do a spot inspection. As a result I don’t push too far into any potential grey areas.

It all comes down to your comfort level and how much of a dick the ATF want to be should the choose to talk with you.

speedluvn likes this.
  17. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

Isn't it written,you can shoulder it a certain amount of shots just not all or something weird like that?

18. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

19. Jedb

@Gorilla George
    Just picked it up. The the silver lamé edition, apparently. $520 for some cool disco. . .
    (stock photo below)

Will post up a report after this weekend. It's got a red front and black back iron-sights.
    Going to have to change them out for suppressor height sites.

[​IMG]

20. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Did you feel the sting of instant regret not getting the newer Mete? I'd have to get the all white version .....cause Broome