1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

Well let me be the first to say I try to avoid the uppers that don’t have it.
    It was a necessary addition and I’ve used mine numerous times. I also use it every time in competition. Hitting the forward assist is way quicker than racking in another round. And if it’s a little problem with a mag or dry bolt reracking sometimes don’t work so then you do it again. Way better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. My old armalite 308 didn’t have it and I had to do the rerack dance at a competition once.

2. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

I’m just checking back in on this question and I’m confused as hell. I’m reading that the forward assist is quicker, but confused as to how so? This is the part I’m holding out on. I’m not understanding it’s use, especially for competition.

3. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

Because a round gets stuck loading. Kinda like firing your 1911. :D With the forward assist you don't have to eject and load another round, you can push it forward.

4. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

Pistol caliber uppers seem to not have it as often. It’s just something you want if it’s available. As said before it won’t hurt you and very well may help. Let’s just say there is a little problem. Forward assist may help. Reracking may put you right back where you started and does take longer.

5. speedluvn

The last jams that I’ve encountered involved two rounds trying to simultaneously enter into the chamber. The forward assist would not remedy this type of jam

6. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

I'm just trying to "translate". :D But I believe I get what he's saying. The one round gets stuck being pushed into the chamber. The lip of the case, the point of the bullet hangs on a slight corner, etc. I actually saw it just a few days ago on a "Gunsngear" (youtube channel, most gun lovers know it) episode. He was just testing an armor plate, but he had a round stick, hit the forward assist and said something along the lines of, "That's what a forward assist is for". Totally unplanned. And that guy uses high end stuff. My simple opinion is that it only costs a few dollars more, with zero reason against it. (As far as I know.) My long range AR-10 doesn't have one or a dust cover. But, that's a long range, bench rifle. I won't be going through hundreds of rounds with it. It is by no means a "battlefield" rifle. I won't consider any future AR build without the cover and forward assist. I guess it's really all in what you plan to do with it.

RonR likes this.
  7. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Maybe if you pushed harder???

My PSA 5.56 has never needed it's forward assist, and has never had a malfunction of any kind. Just got my Bear Creek upper, it doesn't have one and hopefully it functions just as well. Looks at least as nice as the PSA stuff, but operation seems very stiff. Hopefully I'll get to try it out this weekend.

8. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

I was waiting for that. I have a Rock River that's at least 10 yrs. old with untold rounds through it by me and my daughter and I've never used an FA and I honestly can't remember that rifle ever having any malfunction.

9. Saiyan66

Saiyan66 Stand your ground

I have the forward assist removed and a plug inserted on all my uppers. Never used it and never want to.

There are three types of field clearable malfunctions. The procedure for clearing each of them is straightforward and none of them use the forward assist during the process. If your bolt does not go home on a chambered round you can press the cutout of the BCG forward with your finger. If that doesn't do it then a forward assist isn't going to help you because you have a more serious issue.

This is my $.02 and your mileage may vary.

10. speedluvn

This is my thinking. In some of my reading, they mention it’s good for competition but I’m not sure how.

11. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

12. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

Is it a bear creek side charger

13. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Got moms application all squared away this afternoon, lets see how quick her permit comes through. Pretty sure we'll get her the Shield EZ, she seemed to be able to manipulate the slide OK at the shop.

[​IMG]

Gorilla George and Sabre699 like this.
  14. Triple X

Triple X Well-Known Member

Got one for my wife.
    Super easy to use and even to load the magazine.
    They nailed the name with this one.

Gorilla George likes this.
  15. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Yup, its definitely a well thought out design. I had her try a Sig P320 but it required more effort than she was comfortable with so it was definitely a no brainer on this one. Now just have to decide if a 9mm or .380 makes more sense. I'd imagine the .380 would give a tad bit less kick for her.

Triple X likes this.
  16. Triple X

Triple X Well-Known Member

We found the .380 was pretty snappy.
    Not much less the the 9mm.

17. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

How can I install a forward assist on my 1911 then?? That's the gun that really needs it! Never had to use it on my AR so far lol

Clay likes this.
  18. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

I keep finding myself looking at the Banshee. I'm leaning toward 9mm because I have so many other things in 9. I figure it might be easier to narrow my new stuff to 9mm and 556 with ammo how it has been.

19. I don’t plan on adding any new calibers until I get a new house. I’m running out of space to keep ammo.

20. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

No- rear charger. I would have tried the side charger, but that wouldn't allow me to use my CMMG .22 bolt in it.