1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. The slide for the G17 Gen5 showed up, to replace the bullshitass Glock one.

First impressions, it’s a nice piece of kit. Installing the Glock slide parts was super easy and everything aligned perfectly, same goes for the SRO. The notches went in the optic as they should, and it mounted right up.

They also provide bolts because the bolts that come from Trijicon are too long since the optic now bolts directly to the slide. So Norsso included shorter bolts.

Love the sights also.

73495E27-8A34-469B-868D-3750AD71FE41.jpeg

sbk1198, Triple X and Sabre699 like this.
  2. I agree with all that 100%.

3. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

People with "home defense only" mentality and no trial for their weapons should have revolvers and shotguns.

sbk1198 and Gorilla George like this.
  4. Obviously I have no actual stats to back this opinion, but I’d bet half of the new gun owners since SHTF over the past year have done nothing but buy a gun, a box of ammo, and then kept it by the bed “just in case”.

...with no idea if they’d actually be able to hit fuckall if they needed to.

DucatiBomber, Senna and sbk1198 like this.
  5. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

That's a safe bet in general but especially the last year

Gorilla George likes this.
  6. Here’s a closer look at the Norsso slide.

The grooves are pretty aggressive. Not quite “grind my fingers off” aggressive, but they definitely offer plenty of grip.

64145CE7-73A7-466F-A69B-9C014378FAA7.jpeg

noles19 and Triple X like this.
  7. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

Do you have a preferred OWB holster/ kydex company to work with those higher iron sights? I'm going to have a Dawson front sight on my Glock 20 with the Donkey punch pro I mean Leupold delta point pro and the Leupold rear sight that goes on the DPP.

I'll never need the irons because this is a hog/ farm gun and I'm not in mortal danger but hey... if it's available why not

8. As far as Kydex holsters, my preferred is Vedder. I’ve had a lot of success with them.

But all the ones I use are IBW. Even the ones mounted in the car are IBW. They work perfectly for letting me “mount” one inside the bottom of the door.

9. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Got my kit today. definitely gonna need one of these loaders- it's a bitch after about 17 rounds! Looking forward to shooting it, went to the range yesterday with the Rossi .22 rifle and GSG 1911-22, both had an annoying amount of FTF/FTE issues. Also almost got kicked out for rapid firing... the 1911 seems to function better that way...

10. Photo

Photo Well-Known Member

I bought it direct from cmmg it comes with the magazines adapter. I think you will like the kit.
    https://cmmg.com/lightnin-grip-loader-and-cmmg-mag-adapter-22lr

Tristan likes this.
  11. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

Even with that I would still want to be proficient enough to where it's 2nd nature and don't fumble around when the time comes to use them. Most people are terrible shots with pistols. I see them at the range all time. Shooting like 1 round every 5 seconds from 7-10 yards at a silhouette paper target and still be way off from where they're aiming. Not gonna lie, I was pretty shitty at it at first too, but that's why I kept practicing, and I've got a lot better at it and more comfortable with various types of firearms.

Sabre699 likes this.
  12. That’s something that was mentioned in one of the “Active Self Protection” videos I watched today...being proficient with guns in general.

It came up because in the video the guy with the gun went in to a store and started telling everyone to tie themselves up (come to find out he had been part of other shootings; so it wasn’t just a robbery, he was there to fuck people up).

One of the customers caught a perfect opportunity where the guy put the gun on the counter (still had his hand on it, but his finger was off the trigger), and he rushed him. He ended up taking the guys gun, then shooting him with it.

Obviously it would have been better if the customer was carrying his own gun. But aside from that, John said it was good that the guy was proficient handling guns in general (rather than just being good with his own personal gun).

sbk1198 likes this.
  13. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

Tle 7 fits perfect for goldeneye silent 22 . Now I must barrel roll from my living room to the queso bowl

[​IMG]

noles19 and Gorilla George like this.
  14. aaronson

aaronson Well-Known Member

Glock17 5gen any suggestions on lasers ?

15. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Well to be fair I've actually heard from a decent number of sources, 1911s in general are not as reliable as modern designs; they were great for many decades in comparison to their competition, hence their reputation. But they are not equivalent to modern designs. Take this with a grain of salt as my only experience with 1911s is a Colt from the 80s that I inherited but mine is in the bottom third of pistols I've shot in terms of reliability.

And plenty of high performance cars, motorcycles, and suppressors all have break in periods. But I do see your point.

16. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

FTFY. So much wrong with the original statement I'm not going to bother typing it out.

17. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Kimber’s QC has been horrid for years if not a decade at this point. When Ron Cohen came in, he ruined the brand. Cohen now runs Sig.

18. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

1911s can just be finicky. When I had a TRP, that fucker was so tight from the factory I could barely get the slide to rack. I must have racked the slide a hundred times the first day I had it.

Les Baers come super tight from the factory and have a break-in period. Once they’re broken in they have a decent reputation for being reliable.

I’d be hard-pressed to carry or HD a 1911. I’d probably do a CZ 75 SAO if I wanted to go that route. I say that as a huge fan of the platform overall - although I’d want one in 10mm.

19. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

I've never seen a car, motorcycle, or suppressor that didn't function like it's supposed to when it was brand new. The break-in periods are for something else (generally for longevity/durability of the product), not to get it to simply work like it's intended to lol

RonR and Gorilla George like this.