1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

The 6.5-284 tends to be quite finicky. The straight 284 has really come on in recent years and is very strong in F Class.
    I just ordered a slightly custom 284 Shehane reamer today(also a 280 AI and a 7mm throater), for my new hunting rig. Hoping to get 168's to 3000fps out of a 26" barrel.

2. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Holsun or vortex for a handgun, or other recommendations under $350?

3. Mick6R

Mick6R Well-Known Member

Never used a Holosun, but the Vortex Venom on my 22/45 makes it feel like cheating. Some days I wonder why I don't have one on all of my handguns. Got it for around $225 a little over a year ago.

noles19 and sbk1198 like this.
  4. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

My guess is 20". That's the standard for 308 on bolt action rifles, but there are some barrels out there that are longer even for 308.

5. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

Threw this together in the last few hours. Tried to come up with baffles that are simple to make and don't require a CNC machine. I know there's a lot of crazy stuff out there, but most of the fancy stuff requires either a 4 or 5 axis CNC or welding. Also, no booster at the moment so this would be more for "fixed" non-Browning style recoil.

upload_2021-1-22_23-50-1.png

Jedb likes this.
  6. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

Fk'd up my car last night hog hunting. Highlanders aren't made to slide off a wet dirt road into deep mud and sit on the frame, then dragged out by a tractor twice. Anyone want to buy a thermal? I know I'm about to have some repair bills

7. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

Man that blows
    I might know someone
    Send some details

8. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

I have two holosun 510C on my mp5 and HK-94. Great sight.

My buddy Ryan has a holosun on his walther pistol and really likes it. The only red dot that worked for his astigmatism.

noles19 likes this.
  9. Watched a video from the CEO of CEI, Speer, Federal, and Remington ammunition. He wanted to address some of the rumors and hate mail he has been getting.

People keep starting rumors about how they “aren’t making ammo” or “are storing it in secret facilities” for a couple of examples.

He said they have hired hundreds of employees over the past year trying to keep up with demand.

To put things in perspective, he threw out some numbers. There have been 7,000,000 new shooters since March of ‘20. If you say 2 boxes of ammo (very conservative) just for those 7mil new shooters, that is 700,000,000 rounds of ammo that must be produced.

That really puts it in perspective. That’s only 2 boxes, for the 7mil new shooters. What about the 100,000,000 people who were already shooting before all of this? What about all of the people who will buy 500-1000+ rounds at any given time?

When you factor that, you are talking billions and billions of rounds of ammo.

He said they are producing ammo every second, of every minute, of every day, trying to meet demand.

10. As a follow up to that ^, it makes you wonder, where is it all going?

He showed pallets and pallets of ammo that is ready to ship out that day.

But yet stores like Academy and Bass Pro don’t have any on the shelf, and even search engines like ammoseek and WikiArms rarely produce results.

So where does it go? Do people sit there all day hitting “refresh” and buy it the second it pops up?

11. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

12. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

Actually, yes. That and bots buying it. I'm on a reloading discord where people have bots that automatically populate posts when a "drop" occurs. That being, when any monitored site posts "in stock" inventory. The buyout happens so fast that, IF you start trying to buy the SECOND the post occurs, you've got about a 30% chance of scoring. I have seen EVERY SINGLE SITE crash that had a drop, because the demand is so overwhelming. BassPro, Midsouth, powdervalley, midway, brownells, natchez, and more... all crash when they have an ammo, powder, or primer drop. On the phone one of the customer service reps told one of our discord members that when one "drop" occurred, they sold in 30 minutes what they normally sell in an entire month. And that was it, that was their allotment till the next factory order could be fulfilled.

So as I said, first, it's bots that are programmed to buy. The people who buy like this turn right back around and sell it for a 300% markup (or more) on gunbroker or even to desperate dealers. Imagine buying a gun and not being able to buy any ammo. Dealers across the US are facing that scenario. So desperate dealers will buy just so they can have a box, hidden behind the counter, to sell to their customers that buy a gun. Then, you've got the folks like me that either just want to shoot, or even stockpile. I haven't bought any actual ammo in over a month. Even then it was only when an actual good deal showed up, good being relative. Now I'm just on the hunt for the last amount of primers I need to set me up for several years.

Gorilla George and DaveB like this.
  13. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

The ammo is in stores...it's just not on the shelves.

Places like Bass Pro, Sportsmans, etc.....they buy truck loads of the stuff and then it get's sent to distribution centers and then broken up amongst the thousands of stores. That leads to very little inventory coming in.

Friend of mine, owner of multi-state, multi location, HUGE retailer just told me last night...."If you need anything, let me know. We have it, we just aren't putting it on the shelves or online. It's all being reserved for new gun owner purchases." They also just started construction of their own ammo production plant....they made an offer to buy either Winchester or Remington ammo, but they didn't get it so they are starting it themselves.

Gorilla George likes this.
  14. DaveB

DaveB Just Riding Around

Pretty much, Academy for example says if you aren't there when the shipment comes in you are probably out of luck, 98% of it is gone in the first hour. Online, yes, that's the only way I've been finding ammo for a new caliber rifle, I have about a dozen sites I will check as often as I'm around the computer and when it pops up you better buy right then as it's generally gone in a very short period of time unless they are outrageous on their pricing. And even then people will buy although it takes longer, I saw one site post some ammo the other day at double the price others were selling for and it still went within 24 hours.

When it comes to the search engines, a lot of times it doesn't last long enough for them to pick it up. Like the 6.5 Creedmoor I ordered last week, it lasted less than 20 minutes from the time it popped up and that's the real amount of time it was there, one brand popped up when I went to the site (that I didn't want) and I hit refresh and boom, one I wanted was there then. I put my order in and just kept refreshing to watch how quick the rest went and I think it was actually around 17 minutes before it was gone again.

15. noles19

Academy? This is what happened when I bought on Thursday at academy

16. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

bots? like robots? who is this owner of a robot?? how are robots paying for super inflated ammo?? i feel like a crazy person asking this

17. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

Pretty sure you've purchased a meaningful percentage of it :D

Gorilla George likes this.
  18. noles19

Bots do whatever you tell them it's just slang for the computer working for you. So people setup a program to buy whatever they want the second it becomes available, new shoe releases, concerts etc that's why places have security challenges like picking all the street lights in a picture etc

19. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

russians monitoring these bots? china? antifa?? blmers??? jk

20. Cant argue with that assessment. :D

Sabre699 likes this.