1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

Soooo many options. All depends on what you like and what caliber you want. I have a Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5 creedmoor and it's awesome but there are so many other good options. I think my next bolt action will be something chambered in 300 Norma Magnum.

2. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Yea, I always forget to add the S in the name. You can get it with the short barrel still. Just has to be registered as a title II weapon per the NFA. I completely agree about the 16" barrel. It's awful and sort of defeats the purpose of the gun. What I will likely do is buy one with the 16" barrel, then Form 1 (I think that's the right one) it and buy the shorter barrel and change it out. As I understand it, the Form 1 often takes less than 2 weeks to process versus the paperwork to purchase an NFA regulated item that can take a few months.

They're even more fun than the Scorpion in my opinion. Only downside is the ammo is expensive and not particularly common. However, with Ruger and Kel-Tec now making 5.7 pistols and supposedly a few other companies have 5.7 guns in development, hopefully that will expand the market for that cartridge.

sbk1198 likes this.
  3. redtailracing

Wanting to stick specifically to a bolt gun? or open to semi-auto? The AR I just finished building was holding 1.5 moa all day long (with a complete noob on the trigger) this past weekend at 600 and still moving around 1450fps at that range. I suspect it's capable of 800 yards under the right conditions but the range I was at only had electronic targets at 800 and nothing between 600-800 for me to walk it out with so I haven't actually tested that theory yet. Didn't want to risk damaging someone else's expensive targets.

4. redtailracing

What's your twist rate and what weight round are you using? Took mine out to 1000 this past weekend and it was doing great up until that point and then started doing some funky stuff at 1000. Enough so that I stopped after just 3 rounds. Mine's a 1:8 20" semi running Barnes VOR-TX 120gr. Granted I know the semi auto is inherently not quite as accurate as a bolt but it is one of the nicest semi auto 6.5s money can buy. Talking to the RSO, he suggested bumping up to 130-140gr but wouldn't mind hearing some other opinions.

5. redtailracing

Man I'd love to have to a .338 Lapua or Norma Mag but just don't have anywhere around here to shoot it that would justify the cost.

6. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

1:8 .
    Using prime 130gr or hornady 140eldm

I have a great load of r16 , 130gr eldm but don’t have the components to reload

I’ve never tried a 120 gr

2606 at the muzzle on the 18” I believe so I dial a bit of elevation to 1k . Longer barrel would be better but I’m not actually planning on shooting anything that far . I got two hogs at 10 yards with my 6.5 creedmoor last weekend but it’s fun to stretch it out every once in awhile

7. redtailracing

Agreed. My whole purpose in buying the 6.5 was just to finally have something that can effectively stretch to 1k and learn some more about shooting long distance. I have a .308 that I've seen others ring steel at 1k with but it's seems that's the absolute upper limit and even then, a little bit of luck appears to be involved so I've never even bothered to try it with mine.

Will definitely try a little bit heavier stuff. If I remember correctly, the 120 is moving at about 2800fps at the muzzle out of mine but can't remember for sure without having my book to reference. I also take that number with a grain of salt as I'm using a Caldwell chrono to measure. Their gear seems to be ok enough for budget brand but I'm not sure just how accurate it really is. And haven't had a chance to put it side by side with a quality chrono and measure the difference.

8. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

Your 6.5 is a great choice. 1k is no slouch though so keep practicing! Some days are better than others with wind and all that. Some days it can be easy and others you are fighting it and it’s a bitch.

I need to get another proper LR scope again. I sold my NF to fund a thermal but I’ll get the itch to shoot long range again once the hunting season is over

9. redtailracing

After a suppressor, a true LR scope is next on my list. Shooting this past weekend, I was just using a 2.5-10 on the 6.5 before moving it over to the AR (what I actually bought it for). That's another reason I stopped after 3 rounds at 1k. 10x for a noob such as myself started becoming a bit more difficult at that range my 3 shots were only at 2.1 moa IIRC so on a 24" target, I was getting dangerously close to their sensors. So currently the 6.5 doesn't even have a scope. Part of me says don't go up much in magnification and enjoy the challenge. The other part of me says slap an ATACR 7-35 on the bitch and learn to maximize its potential. Will probably end up doing the latter as I have a .22 and an 8mm both just with iron sights if I want a challenge.

10. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Creedmore guys, check out the 6.5 by .284 as well. It set a few 1000 yard records.

11. redtailracing

Last thing I need is another new caliber.

12. sbk1198

Right about 3 weeks is what it took when I did a form 1 one for a suppressor. If you can find a short barrel for that and don't mind spending the time and $200 for the proper NFA registration, then yeah that'd be the way to go with those.

I looked at both. Unfortunately the 338 lapua ammo is now in the $4-$5 range and the gun range I go to doesn't allow anything above .300/.308 caliber yet. Supposedly they will upgrade the steel plates to allow bigger calibers but who knows when. Rifles tend to also be more expensive so it's a lot of money only to look at since I wouldn't be able to use. 300 Norma on the other hand also has excellent ballistics and is one of the top few preferred calibers for the guys that do ELR matches, but surprisingly the ammo cost hasn't gone much. Right now it's about the same as 6.5 creedmoor actually, maybe just a few cents more.

13. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

yeah ringing steel on a .308 at 1k distance is pretty darn good. at that distance the round is tumbling

14. redtailracing

I'd like to try it but need to pick up some match grade stuff first and learn how it acts at range as I've personally never shot that particular rifle past 370.

15. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

What caliber suppressor did you make?
    Rifle? Pistol?
    Who/Where did you get your can/baffles?

I'm looking to do several cans soon as form 1, and have been looking for a good supplier.

16. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

What do you guys like for safes? I’ve got the big safe in the closet covered but I want something for quick access to one gun that I could ideally keep in my nightstand drawer. Biometric or stick to mechanical? I’m kind of leaning to mechanical right now, I’d hate to have to trust electronics in that moment. Any brands to stay away from or good arguments for a bio safe?

17. sbk1198

It's a 9mm, started out as a solvent trap, like most form 1 suppressors I assume lol

To be honest I don't recommend it though. It looks alright and when it's new everything seems pretty awesome, but once I put only about 100 rounds through it, it's been kind of a PITA to deal with. Baffles get jammed in there making it a hell of a chore to get them up when you want to clean it, and taking it off the barrel is also a PITA because the 1/2" threads get really dirty with carbon somehow (I assume) even though it's threaded on the barrel, making it a bitch to take off. Every time I unscrew the suppressor, the tube with the baffles unscrews leaving the end cap on the barrel. It gets so tight that I have to use a wrench to get the cap off the barrel then. The end cap is steel, as is the barrel, so thermal expansion should be very similar but it's tight as hell even if I let it cool off to room temp. I need to get a 1/2" tap and clean up the threads I guess, but it was disappointing that it happened after very little usage.

It's just a poor design IMO. I'm about to design my own soon, although probably won't make it cuz I have no means of doing so anytime soon. I live in a rental house but hopefully not for too much longer, and once I buy a house I'll get a lathe/mill again and start making my own gun/motorcycle parts.

18. wera313

wera313 Well-Known Member

GixxerJohn011 likes this.
  19. sbk1198

Personally I've never shot a 308 and don't really have any desire to get one just because there are other better options out there, but I know 308 can still be VERY accurate to 1000 yards if you know what you're doing and have good ammo. The owner of the range I go to was a sniper in the military (I think Rangers), and he still shoots 308 and he can hit 8" targets at 1000 yards all day if the wind isn't too crazy or inconsistent.

20. redtailracing

I'm guessing he's probably using a 20"-24" barrel. Mines only 16.25" :oops: