1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

HK might be begging them for money if they're not careful.

2. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

So the quick version is that Hi Point was dumb enough to run a contest on social media so that fans could pick the name of their new handgun. Being the internet, the fans overwhelmingly chose "Yeet Cannon 9". Hi-Point decided they absolutely were not going to go with that. This resulted in the internet exploding on them in protest. HK, long known for ignoring the public in favor of their military/police contracts even chimed in with this nugget which only fueled the internet rage

[​IMG]

At this point, the memes started and the internet went into a rage. HK kept stoking the flames all over social media until it boiled over, and kept offering to do a collab with an MK23 engraved with "YC-45"

Hi-Point has now realized the error of their ways, and put the name back in for final consideration. To which HK promptly posted this

[​IMG]

It crossed over onto the HK page and just about every gun forum out there.

3. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Oh forgot that a bunch of AR lower manufactures jumped in almost immediately and began selling special edition "Yeet Cannon" lowers. Hi-Point finally figured out that they had confused "yeet" with "skeet"

[​IMG]

4. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Backlash-15??
    That is hilarious!!

5. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Gotta love it.

6. weber#465

weber#465 mud fight

I have the S&W BG+P with the laser. It's not my everyday carry, but lives in the car with a speed loader. Light weight and perfect for pocket carry in gym shorts or... It has some pros and cons, for what I want. I can understand not wanting a mag gun. Did some training to remag and rechamber with one hand. Not as easily done as with two hands, but still easier than a speed loader.

Pros:
    Light weight
    Built on laser
    Small
    Dependable

Cons:
    Fixed sights (I like the Tritium sights, can't see as well and the black front and rear sights on a super short barrel doesn't help)
    The laser on off switch is not on the trigger
    Battery replacement requires removing the whole laser
    I don't like the sights, still lol. I put a dot of high visible nail polish on the front sight so I can see it better

50Joe likes this.
  7. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Speaking of lasers.... Why do they seem to be frowned upon buy “gun guys”? You don’t see them all that often on quality builds but even Navy Seals use them. I’m working up to an AR pistol build and I’m pretty sure it’ll have one.

8. Mick6R

Mick6R Well-Known Member

My .02, they're just a tacticool gadget with no practical purpose for majority of shooters. I've shot AR and handgun with laser, saw no better results than normal sights. I'll admit that if the laser comes on when you grip the gun, then put the dot on the target, then pull the trigger does makes things simple up close, assuming one doesn't jerk the trigger or some other bad habit that would result in the dot not ending up on target. No matter the sighting/targeting device, proper fundamentals still come into play.

9. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

Totally different with NVGs.

10. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Yeah, but the lasers they use aren’t just IR. They also have a red and green visible laser option. I don’t see the drawback. Knowing where your shot is going to go without having to acquire a traditional sight picture seems like a huge advantage.

11. weber#465

weber#465 mud fight

As we know, sights on top of the gun is good for showing where the bullet will hit on its way up and on its way down. That isn't a problem as long as the bad guy is standing lol. A laser is, typically, mounted on the side, which means it's only good for a one shot spot; the farther away, the farther off it is.

I like the thought of laser in that one might not have to bring it above the dinner table to get a good first shot: Just hold the dot on target and start squeezing the trigger.

Another con to the S&W BG is the long trigger pull.

12. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

The trigger pull doesn't bother me. I'm a novice and if anything it helps me to focus, be smooth and pull consistent. I like not having a hammer. I don't have all of my trunk muscles so there may be times I need to steady my trunk with my left hand/arm and shoot with only my right. Not ideal but that is the reality of being T7T8 paraplegic. I also need to practice shooting with my left hand solo too. I don't want to practice with only one shooting method and then have to figure it out in an emergency if that option is taken away from me. The trigger pull was pretty equal between the Ruger and S&W.

13. weber#465

weber#465 mud fight

A lot of the training I did, I pass forward to family and friends. Shooting with my 'dumb hand' is a part of that. The main thing that I practice and train other on is pulling and shooting from how we carry. We used to just target practice: Pick the gun from a table and practice shooting. Now it's timed and from the holster, purse, pocket or..., at ~20' and nothing counts outside of the kill zone (playing card sixe box at heart or head).

50Joe likes this.
  14. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

laser have a place in many situations. If you are getting used to/new to shooting, it can help some with trigger pulls. It's very obvious with a laser what's going on when you pull the trigger. any jerking of the trigger is obvious. Theoretically there could be some intimidation with pointing a laser at a bad guy. No one likes to have a red/green laser spot on their chest.

the other big advantage in certain situations is if you don't have to have a full "sight picture" (i.e. line up your eye behind the front and rear sights) to have a decent idea of where the round is going to go. So if you are shooting at something but can't get your head behind your weapon for whatever reason you will still know where you are aiming. as someone said, shooting from the hip or from behind cover or if you are injured, etc.

disadvantage is the bad guys will know exactly where you are.

Most SF folks are running dual beam lasers with IR and visible lasers.

I have green lasers for a few weapons but rarely use them. But they are fun to play with the cat, or taking folks to the indoor ranges.

15. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I don't think they use the visible laser for aiming but for painting targets for air support.

16. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

On the topic of red versus green. Read an interesting article (to me at least) about how much better the eye typically picks up green versus red. Of course the trade off is that green is usually more expensive.
    I’ve used both and always preferred green. I was not sure if it was in my head or an actual difference but it seems like green is actually the choice for most lighting situations opposed to red.

Ride safe,
    AAron

17. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

I've got red, green, and IR lasers as well as red and green reflex sights. I find that the green stuff is far more visible to my eye than the red. In full daylight, on a green tree in the summer, it's sometimes hard to pick up a 2MOA green dot, but I'd still take the green over red any time.

wish more illuminated reticles in rifle scopes were green. Trijicon is doing it, would be nice if others followed suit.

DucatiBomber likes this.
  18. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Talk to me about a Sig P320 (full size). I've been trying to trade my Springfield Micro Compact .45 for a CZ75 for about 6 weeks now. No bites at all, but today a guy asked if I wanted to trade for his one owner P320. I've got a G19 Gen4 tricked out already. Is the Sig better? I can always sell the G19 quickly and buy a CZ. What sayeth yee?

19. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

I have the Sig320 Compact (G19 size) and it shoots well, and has similar ergos to my Sig229.
    For me, the Sig is better, as the Glock ergos and I never got along.

From what I've seen here and on other forums, the striker fired pistol comes down to ergos and trigger feel to the individual.
    They all go bang.

Maybe you offer him a chance to test at the range where you try each others?

rd400racer likes this.
  20. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

Picked up a Pulsar Thermal. Should be going piggin again in a couple weeks. Not sure how I feel about the video recording but will get a screen grab of the huge groups of them and let y'all see what we are dealing with.

They've caught 230 in the past month where I hunt

XFBO likes this.