1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

I just got the Taurus PT709 slim and I love it. Very accurate for the type and tiny. The only real drawback is the capacity. Because it is a single stack mag you are limited to six in the mag and one in the chamber.

2. :D I am a lefty too...but I wear my holster on my tail bone. Little easier to fit into jeans/shorts. Plus it don't stick out too often so no one knows it's there. It does take a bit of getting used too...but you will get used to it. Anymore...I notice when I don't grab it before leaving the house. It's become like a cell phone or wallet.:D

3. chase2000gt

chase2000gt Well-Known Member

In the past few months I've been through 4 pistols. Out of the 4, only one has performed flawlessly, the others weren't even in the "acceptable" range.

1- Walther P22, many FTE's when new at least a 30% fail rate. After doing some work, out of the P22 Bible (google it) it performs at 100% last 1,000 rounds zero failures, Fun and cheap to shoot.
    2- Walther P99, 9mm after getting the P22 dialed, I picked up the P99. What a POS. Extremely long trigger pull, high recoil, 10-20% fail to eject rate, traded that in fast for...
    3- Springfield Arms XDM 9mm, Excellent trigger, 100% reliable, 2, 19 round mags. Yes 19 round mags! Comes with an awesome case and multiple accessories. This is what a firearm should be, reliable.
    4- Taurus TCP .380, biggest piece of shit of the bunch, 100% fail rate. Bought it new for my gf to carry, brought it home and cleaned all the gunk out. On the first outing it failed to eject every single round but one, and with that cycle it didn't load the next round. It feels as though the chamber is too tight or the extractor is too loose. It won't even eject when operating the slide by hand. The nice features are price ($269) 2 mags, (most in this class have 1) and last round hold open (if you can get it to cycle the last round)

4. Rebel-762

Rebel-762 Well-Known Member

5.7 x 28 mm ammunition

the 5.7 was designed by FN initially or in conjunction with the pistol late 80's to early 90's via the P-90. This round was designed for greater penetration of body armor for use in submachineguns. The reason for this was the weak performance of pistol rounds when the target was wearing body armor.

google 5.7 ballistic performance and I am sure you can find an article to answer your questions.

I would also take into consideration that you can get .45, .40, 9mm anywhere 5.7 may not be as readily available just yet.

bottom line shot placement!

5. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

strick, what about a gold cup trophy? i have a coworker with one nib and he has no need for it.

6. Strick

Strick Good to be king

Since you of the uber rich, get your self a USPSA open blaster.

Build it on a 2011 frame, .40 (since if you don't reload 9mm major would be tough) with bick stick 170mm mags holding 30+/- rounds, 3 port comp, slight lightening, c-more optic.

Then when you are tired of it just give it to me. :D

7. Strick

Strick Good to be king

Sure. They are pretty nice. Everybody needs a 1911

8. kjohnson

kjohnson Axis

20mm full-auto.Everything else is a spitball shooter.

9. Tinfoil hat charly

Tinfoil hat charly Well-Known Member

10. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

I got Honey a Walther P22 that has a pink carbon frame. We have a blast with it. Only time we have troubles is when we get the cheaper 36 grain rounds. All th e40 grains have worked with no trouble.

About a month ago I got a XD 9 sub-compact. I've liked it a lot, but I really want to sell it and get the XDM 9 3.8.

11. Jed

Jed mellifluous

If I recall the Fort Hood shooter used the Five-seveN. Rounds are expensive but the magazine holds a bunch. I think there's pretty limited ammo selection right now.

12. Mud Whistle

Mud Whistle Get my icebike ON!

.45 Long Colt, not .45ACP.

I'm digging the Beretta PX4, very clean looking pistol.

13. six6two

six6two AWD

Woops my bad. I thought it shot ACP. Doesn't matter though if you want to shoot .45, don't get "The Judge"

14. kevinr

kevinr Well-Known Member

I just bought a beretta px4 sub compact 9mm. I like it. It's just ok for concealed carry due to the heavy barrel design. It has a unique barrel that twists instead of lifting when the action slides back for the next round. It's supposed to make it more accurate. I like the decocking mechanism that allows you to safely lower the hammer without firing the gun. I have the double/single action model. They price around 600, but I bought mine at the gun show for $499.

15. kevincg

kevincg Well-Known Member

Try and find an HK P7M8. These are only on the used market now. Awesome concealed carry pistol.
    Handles 9mm +P+ all day. Fixed 4" bbl, very accurate, and safe. Slim and easy to carry concealed.

16. Strick

Strick Good to be king

Actually it is just .45 Colt vs. .45 acp.;)

17. Mud Whistle

Mud Whistle Get my icebike ON!

Just covering my ass, wouldn't want one of these yahoo's to think it could shoot .45 Schofield :D

18. kiggy74

kiggy74 As useful as an...

Bought P239 SAS II and love it. Don't get an M&P, had one but had all kinds of reliability issues.

My next will likely be either a USP or 1911 in .45 ACP.

19. Captain Squid

Captain Squid Well-Known Member

Just got word there's a gun show coming to A-ville on the 27th and 28th of this month. Surely they will have a G36 for me there!

(end of threadjack) :D

20. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

if i buy another glock, i'll probably get a gen 4 22. or maybe the rtf version. i've read the new gens have less recoil with the new springs, but i havent shot one yet.