1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

I just did a quick search. If you're looking for a 45, you won't find one any cheaper than the Hi-Point. They are built like a brick, but I personally haven't heard of any terrible quality issues. Would make a good beater gun if you don't have to carry it.

9mm opens up a lot of other options in that price range, like SCCY, Diamondback, Taurus, Kel-tec P11 and Ruger Ec9s. I won a SCCY in a raffle but ended up selling it. It didn't fit my hand very well.

2. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

This would basically be a hidden, emergency backup for when I can't carry. It would be hidden and never carried. I would probably shoot it when I first got it, then stashed. I want something reliable, but weight and beauty are not important whatsoever.

I think I'll go with the 45. I was hoping they had a ~15 round 9mm capacity, but they don't.

3. Timothy Landon

Timothy Landon Well-Known Member

I EDC a Glock 42. But I have a Taurus .38 snubby in the glove box of my car. Throwaway gun. Paid $250 out the door.

4. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

THey accurate cause of the fixed bbl.
    They are tough as nails, seen many videos of people trying to blow-them up, they survive untold abuses. they are very reliable and no-questions asked repair/replace from the factory.
    For someone who wants a honedefense gun in their nightsand or beater-truck/boat-gun, and doednt want to spend a bunch of money, they are exceellent choice.

5. wsmc 589

wsmc 589 Well-Known Member

Do they offer an extended magazine?

6. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

From what I saw, yes, but some really ugly, ridiculously cartoonish thing.

7. wsmc 589

wsmc 589 Well-Known Member

I get it. But if you’re looking for more capacity it might be an option...?

If I’m carry a compact 1911/2011 my spare mag is usually a higher compacity.

If you’re in a shooting it’s gonna make the news, if you’re in a shooting and need a reload it’s gonna make history....

8. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I carry a 1911 and a spare standard mag. For this application, I would also have one spare, standard mag stashed with it.

9. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

C89737EB-C228-4D8C-BA5C-FDB7F19FE0DC.jpeg CC48F2B7-9FB2-4047-A478-672D228D2892.jpeg 89587CB7-22EC-4E9F-AA63-F2E7FC1CC148.jpeg Just picked this up.
    Back to a wheel gun.

Ride safe,
    AAron

10. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

OK looks like I'll be needlessly spending more money on pew pew stuff. A few months back I shared some interest in a reworked M&P 15-22 suppressed SBR. After finding out what they want for one ($1500+) I said, heck that. After some more hemming and hawing, I'm pretty sure I want one of those pistol AR's, this way if I go suppressed I just need to worry about getting one NFA stamp.

Looking through the last few pages, as much as I enjoy giving him a hard time, DBPantalones, actually had a nice little setup :bow:. But I ain't spending $3-5k on anything that would piss me off immensely if I got her all scratched up. So after ordering my 15-22, I'm now getting daily emails from PSA, and I see that they have a neat pistol AR kit for $399, not including the lower, bcg or ch. Soooo I have questions!

1) Anyone have or build something from PSA, and are happy with it? (My b.i.l. bought one of their AR rifle kits and had a blast putting her together, says it shoots great with no issues but I want more feedback!)

2) If I get the thumbs up for the question above, would ya go with their 5.56 or .300 blackout?

Sweatypants likes this.
  11. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

X,
    I am retired old-school armorer/fabricator, 3-decades in biz, no shiny bits for me. Did heavy work in LE & FA guns. I've done repair/customization for silencerco owned machine gun, done custom FA work for the owner of DeadAir, did 100% Diagnoses/Reliability work on a bunch of the John Wicks guns for Taran Tactical, as well as Many other Class-3 companies.
    The PSA kit will function correctly, and to me, that is the only thing that matters. That kit is a no-brainer. Buy w/ confidence. Ive built them in the past.
    I know PSA has blowout sales all the time, i aint gun owner no mo, so i dont follow them. I just posted to give you advice B4 everyone chimed in on how you need this or that bell whistle, lol.
    You assemble that kit, it will run. End of story.

I think you very good dude, when we not arguing in the dungeon, haha.....If you ever have mechanical issue/question w/ that one, or any other pew-pew, im a PM away.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
    Hyperdyne and XFBO like this.
  12. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

good luck on your quest Kevin Bacon. :cool:

SpeedyE likes this.
  13. Kev59

Kev59 Well-Known Member

I've got three complete weapons from PSA and have no complaints. The AR-9/ Shockwave is my favorite; even though I need to replace the torture device they call a stock. The only thing I don't like about it is the ETS magazine that came with it.

SpeedyE and XFBO like this.
  14. Kev59

Kev59 Well-Known Member

On question #2, go with 5.56 just on ammo price alone.

15. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

1) The only issues that I know of with them was their early runs of .308 ARs had some dimension issues with the triggers but I think they worked that out long ago.

2) Personal choice, what is the plan for this? I have both, like them both. .300B is designed for a short barrel and with all the ammo options it is extremely versatile. Go subsonic and you have "roughly" the ballistics of a .45, go faster and you are a little better than 5.56 out of a 16". That's pretty dang cool for a short barrel. Plus the subsonic/suppressed is insanely quiet and fun to shoot. You actually hear the bolt cycling...so cool.

XFBO likes this.
  16. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

5.56. So much cheaper to shoot and find ammo for. Unless it’s a purpose built suppressed piece for coyotes, pigs, etc.. that subsonic ammo in .300 is salty.

XFBO likes this.
  17. OldSchlPunk

OldSchlPunk Well-Known Member

Built my AR kit from PSA, couldn't have been easier. Works like a charm! Great gun at a helluva price.

18. borislav

borislav Well-Known Member

Used their kit before, good product, lifetime warranty if you have issue (repair or replacement), fun. Pistol kit comes with KAK blade, it will work as it is but you should replace it with SB product. I prefer 5.56 and of course 7.62x39 (one of few good things that came out of communism) both cheap abundant ammo options.

19. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

I have an Ar15 from PSA that was a kit and it works fine but as far as choosing a caliber I would go with the 9mm. The best price I see for decent, clean .556/223 is .27 a round. I can buy 9mm all day long for .17 a round. Every 10 rounds you save $1. To me that is worth the price and putting 3-500 rounds downrange out of a 9mm doesn't leave you with a black and blue shoulder. Not to mention that it is a lot easier to find places to shoot pcc vs rifle caliber.

XFBO likes this.
  20. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

I’m an ffl in MD and had a lot of PSA come through so I thought I’d build a couple. All three pistols work great 5.56,300&9mm. I will qualify that mine are 10.5” barrels. I know someone’s short 300 was having a tough time cycling. I only like the flat top kits with the SBA3 stock which they sell all the time. Cost a little more than the Blade and the POS rubber non adjustable stock but well worth it. Also the EPT adds to the price and it’s a better trigger but I wouldn’t sweat it ether way.

XFBO likes this.