1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Supposedly, they also teased a true single stack 19 photoshop as being the second model (g48 they called it). Which sounded redundant to me. If the specs on the 43x are to be believed, it's about the same height as a 19 anyway.

2. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

Agreed, I have 1911 snobbish tendency's but Rock Island 1911's have been solid operators in my experience. Shout out also to 1911 maker Fusion Firearms from Venice Florida.

3. knutz

knutz Well-Known Member

I’m kinda leaning towards a Rock Island.

I had good luck with their double stack tac Ultra when I first started 3Gun. Course I bought it used and it had a lot of Hayes Custom Guns work done to it.

Don’t know how well it ran before the work but, after it was 100% no matter what kind of man I ran through it. Would have kept it but, the para style frame was a little big for my hands .

4. wsmc 589

wsmc 589 Well-Known Member

I’ve never heard of a agency that cares about heat.

They care about cost and the optics of having a “silencer”....

5. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

I truly don't know what this gun would be beneficial for. Cut down round count with perhaps a thinner grip that no one complains about anyway? Don't see it doing well if true but who knows.

6. shakazulu12

I can see the appeal. I find it slightly easier to conceal a full size 1911 than a Glock 19 just because of the shape of the slide and how thin it is. What I don't get is if Sig can make a sub-compact that carries ten in a platform the size of the 43, then why upsize all the way to something the size of a 19? But just based on web forum chatter, people have been calling for a single stack 19 for a long time. So I suspect they will sell tons of them anyway. I didn't get the appeal of the 19x/45 either. Yet they are probably their two best selling models now. Admittedly, after I held one, I understood better.

7. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

I have a 19x and the balance is awesome. I'm in law enforcement and the design makes sense to me. I ccw a 19 year round and a p365 on really light clothing. I really like the 16 round count though.

8. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Prolly goes back to their specs for the WW days. They were the AKs of the pistol world. Sloppy, to overcome the environment in which they lived, but dependable.
    Everything today is carried neatly and cleanly in a holster, within your street clothes, etc. No need for battle worthiness?
    Maybe Colt/Remington/Springfield remember that, when shtf - it ain't gonna be pretty, and adhere to that philosophy?

Seems to me that you, as a gunsmith, could check the overall specs of these sloppy, battle-proven originals against the pretty, adhering to the Gentlemen's Quarterly versions.
    Given the price of a basic Colt vs the same price "other" brand, I want the one that can take a beating and come out victor.

My 1991 was $595 in the mid-'90s, that's about $1070 in today's dollars. It shoots all over the place, but it shoots. Interestingly, the first shot is always on target. By that, I mean I can hit a 20lb propane from 100yds.
    Putting a $1K Colt 1911 from today against any other $1K brand 1911 from today - what do you come up with in terms of comparisons?

BTW, the Ruger SR1911 reviews very favorably for looks, accuracy and dependability while retailing, prolly, in the $700-$800 MSRP range. I almost bought one on looks alone, plus it's 8+1 capacity.

9. shakazulu12

10. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

If you can’t hold the weapon it’s useless.

Ride safe,
    AAron

11. wsmc 589

Yeah but what realistic scenarios are they looking at when discussing “heat”?

300-400 rds is not realistic for LEO’s.

Any can, that doesn’t have blow through baffles, is going to heat up any weapon. Especially the M4.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2018
  12. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

So the only reason why I know this is an issue is i have a very good friend who manufactures AR’s for Law Enforcement and the last two agencies he signed contracts with required his weapons to pass heat tests after 300 rounds.
    Once he got his weapons set up so they could pass he got the contract(s).

Ride safe,
    AAron

Last edited: Dec 25, 2018
  13. wsmc 589

Interesting. I’ve never heard of that being a “requirement”.

I’d be curious what he did to lower heat.

14. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

I’ll shoot you a PM sometime this week.
    Let me confirm with him I can put the info out

Ride safe,
    AAron

wsmc 589 likes this.
  15. fastfreddie

Ask him if these two agencies expect their agents to be in extended firefights, too, cuz maybe they should concentrate on marksmanship first.
    Unless it's a war, there's not a scenario I can imagine involving the public that would warrant each officer having to expend 300 rounds.

wsmc 589 likes this.
  16. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

They are expecting (I guess a better terminology would be to be prepared for) extended fire fights.
    Marksmanship is not going to do much for you when someons has an AR15 and is blowing holes through walls at you during an active shooter situation. (This just happened)

Ride safe,
    AAron

17. ts199

ts199 Well-Known Member

How far down the road are tanks and air support?

Steeltoe likes this.
  18. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

I may pick up a Rock Island and try it out.

My personal experience with both Springfield and Colt have been positive. I have the Colt series 70 government and it is my favorite gun. Very accurate and fun shoot. Haven't heard anything negative about the Ruger but the safety and firing pin design is a little different which turns off the purists. I wouldn't consider myself a purist but I did get the Colt because I wanted something as close to the original design as possible.

19. fastfreddie

Please tell us who these agencies are. I'd like to avoid ever being in their active vicinity. Sound like a buncha tools hiding behind firepower when tactics (which I was also gonna mention) could lessen the collateral damage and, potentially, bring a quicker close to incidents.

20. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

:crackup:
    How many active shooter incidents have you responded to? You know so you can explain your tactics, marksmanship and the firepower needed.
    And unless you plan on being an active shooter yourself you should be safe in these areas. Lol

Ride safe,
    AAron