1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Hah!
    I'm just not a 1911 fan(boy).

I've shot 'em (Kimber customs, Dan Wesson, Remington, Rock Island, Sig, etc) and done well with them, but they just don't do it for me. That custom one above, that's got next level stuff that gets me over the "meh" feeling I have about them.

Or maybe it's because I'm Italian + Swiss.
    :moon::D

2. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

For those that hunt with a scoped AR, are you running offset irons or some other close range solution? Took my 6.8 SPC deer hunting this year (first time) and although I didn’t even see anything, most of the shots would have been under 50 yards at the property I was at. I run a 2-7 scope on it and at those ranges I was wishing I had another option. I had thought of replacing it with a 1-4, but then I remembered offset irons. Available options seem pretty damn spendy for iron sights however.

3. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

If you can't shoot something with a 2x scope at close range, irons aren't going to help you.

4. wsmc 589

wsmc 589 Well-Known Member

I run off sets. Have for years. Game changer. Do it.

DucatiBomber likes this.
  5. stymie12000

stymie12000 Well-Known Member

I've done some 3 gun with 1-6 power scope. At 1x you still need to look through the glass.

I found that the off set irons work way better at the 25-50 yard range. Now I did have a low-mid level scope. So the higher end stuff may be better. Just hard to look through a scope with eye relief and the tube for the close shots.

I went with the Dueck Defense 45 offset. They are solid! But $$...

6. wsmc 589

Dueck all day long....

7. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

I didn’t say I was any good. But just for clarification, it felt like too much magnification and a nearly narrow sight picture. Not too little.

8. knutz

knutz Well-Known Member

I’ve got some offsets on my 3Gun rifle and after 3 years of trying to use them I’m still faster with my Atibal 1-8 scope up close.

Id like to try some 45 XS sights that are real similar to pistol sights. A buddy runs those and they seem like they might be better than 45 offset traditional sights .

9. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

RMR. I can't think of anything that provides a quicker acquisition time.

10. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

I tried offsets for a bit but found it unnecessary and it felt like a gimmicky waste of time. Maybe it works for some people but not me. I run practice with some 3-gun guys and hold my own with a 1-4x only. I could see your 2x being tough to get on target fast if you have a small field of view, (not sure what your scope is)

For a do-all AR scope, I'm a big fan of a good 1-4X or 1-6X with a quick throw lever and illuminated reticle. The 1-4x works great for coyotes around here where they pop out of the tree line and you have to scope them quick because they are nervous, sometimes close, and run away fast. On 1x, there is no magnification and if you have the reticle turned on it's like using a red dot so super quick target acquisition. Personally, I'm a fan of SWFA as the best scope for the money and I have several including a 1-4X. They have a great BFriday sale right now. There are tons of good ones out there but that's my fav due to what you get for the $.

11. wsmc 589

Well I would disagree on the gimmicky comment. I went to offsets not for competition but for my work rifles. If my red dot dies or become occluded from fog etc I will need back ups fast. That’s where they make sense.

12. blkduc

As a potentially life saving backup, yeah totally! I have co-witness flip-ups on a few ARs in case the red dot goes down, I'm 100% on board with that. But offset irons as a secondary short range sighting tool...I'm just saying they aren't that practical for me especially if it's a hunting rifle. For that application, I think a good 1-4X or 1-6X with a quick throw lever is best. Thankfully it's a great time to be a gun owner and choose from so many kickass options!

13. wsmc 589

Absolutely!!!

14. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

P938 or P365? How do those compare? I have a P365 and am very happy with it, but heard good stuff about P938 and was thinking about giving that a try. Any thoughts?

15. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

16. blkduc

17. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

18. blkduc

There are cheaper aftermarket ones too. Just google and you will find them. MKM machining is a guy who 3D prints them for cheap.

19. Used2Bfast 2

Used2Bfast 2 Still in the saddle

1x4 red dot with the quick throw lever
    D30D4BDC-B809-44B3-85E1-C8101260E282.jpeg

SpeedyE likes this.
  20. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

I also have the 365 as a backup at work. The 938 is more of a show-like piece. Reliable but hammer fired and Sig has released the pimped out versions to include a Legion version for around $200 more.