1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Question for you because I realize I miss my TRP and I'm about to make an impulse buy and do a two year experiment. If I'm going to beat the shit out of it, do I want stainless or Armory Kote?

2. wsmc 589

wsmc 589 Well-Known Member

3. shakazulu12

Nope, not a pro. Just going to dryfire, re-holster it a ton and shoot up some singlestack, carry etc because America. I'm thinking a thousand rounds a month and I'm not going to change a thing other than that stupid guide rod and fit a long flat trigger. I still have a Marvel 22 upper for 24/7 practice (my club has a 24 hour .22 range that's indoors) and I'm pretty sure I still even have all the .45 equipment I need for my Dillon. Just want to focus on one platform that I enjoy and truly work on skills and up my rankings at local matches.

Wasn't sure if the Armory Kote get's finish wear from re-holstering a ton or not. My previous example was stainless and looked brand new when I sold it.

4. Pudge

Pudge Well-Known Member

Thanks man. I just saw this. We'll give it a try this weekend.

I just got a tikka ctr 6.5 20 inch yesterday to hunt with this year. I've got a manners t6a to slap on it and scope shopping now. I'm thinking leupold mark 5hd 3.6-18 with tmr reticle. I'm trying to keep it as lite as possible.

5. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

I'd suggest taking a look at the Athlon Cronus and Ares ETR, better reticles IMO and much cheaper. If you can find a Bushnell lrhsi 4.5-18 with the gap reticle I'd grab one of those for hunting. They were discontinued and GAP was clearing them out, great hunting reticle.

reticle.jpg

6. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Local spot had this yesterday. A buddy got one, but I missed out.

17177.jpeg

7. shakazulu12

Lol, that's been running for a while and goes for the rest of the year. Just find another place that has them. Note the dates in the add. I've even seen it online less than that including shipping. The range bag/extra mags is a mail in coupon.

https://www.springfield-armory.com/allxdgearup/

DucatiBomber likes this.
  8. eggfooyoung

Had no idea. Hand guns aren't my thing. For now...

9. shakazulu12

Slickguns.com is your friend:beer:

10. eggfooyoung

Thank you. I'll check in to it.

11. Timothy Landon

Timothy Landon Well-Known Member

Your local gunstore should be your friend. The internet is really hurting local gun stores. Very hard to make enough money to justify staying open.

12. wsmc 589

Yes I’d stick with stainless then. The coat will get scuffed from holstering etc etc.

shakazulu12 likes this.
  13. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

$399 for the EDC package (take the 3 mags and range bag out of the equation as that is a mail in rebate) is pretty much a loss leader for the shop, or close to it. I see you are in Ohio. If you are up my way in the NE, I can hook you up with that deal. Between shipping and a transfer fee on your end, it becomes less dealworthy. With the holidays coming up, I bet you will be able to find it locally.

14. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Yes sir...even if it's $50 more, I always go to my local guy. He's knowledgeable, friendly, has 10-12 employees to keep busy, full service range.
    I can imagine how frustrating it is to spend some time with a customer, answering his questions, giving him all this personal service, then have that guy leave to buy it online to save a few dollars. Then have the same guy inquire about having the gun sent to him for the FFL process.

15. Pudge

Pudge Well-Known Member

Thanks

I wanted the etr but my vendors are out of them. I can get the leupold at a steal. I'm going to use it this hunting season and sell it afterwards. I'm saving for a kahles k318, it's just not in the cards right now. I got to shoot with some of these at the precision rifle expo this year and the glass is amazing.

16. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

I've heard the glass is good on the new leupold, though looking through one inside a store isn't a great place to evaluate it, reticle was pretty thick to me, which isn't a terrible thing for hunting.

17. Pudge

Pudge Well-Known Member

I think it will do ok for hunting. If this was my do all rifle I wouldn't choose it.

I've got a razor gen 2 on my fun gun. It's 22 pounds and I'm not lugging it hunting all year.

18. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

Anyone seen the new Sig Sauer electro-optics in person? I watched a product launch for it earlier in the week and was pretty impressed, although it almost seems like cheating. Between the range finder, the scope, and the data entered into the app, it basically put the dot over your target and you pull the trigger, or at least that is the idea.
    Right now they are offering it on a handful mid-level hunting scopes, but the plan is to move it to all of their product lines.
    https://www.sigsauer.com/press-releases/sig-sauer-electro-optics-transforms-hunting-launch-bdx/

19. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Steiner did it first, without the need for an app.
    I don't do apps, but I also don't do $4K scopes. :eek:

20. wsmc 589

Yeah and they aren’t that good. The pixels aren’t good enough for anything out to any real distance.

Also, you still have to do the hardest part.... call your wind. Nothing out there will do that for you (yet).

Once that happens, look out. It’ll make 1000m shots look easy in 25-20 mph winds with non-magnum loads with shitty B.C. rounds.