1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

2. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Nah, that was leaked before the Gen 5 MOS pistols were. Companies were starting to take 19x's and coat them black due to demand and charging a few hundred dollars in the process. Took Glock about thirty seconds to go "Oh hell nah, that's our money bitches"

TheGrouchyCat likes this.
  3. Timothy Landon

Timothy Landon Well-Known Member

So it's really just a Black 19X

4. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

That's exactly what it is. Meh.

5. shakazulu12

Yeah, the only real differences is the front cocking serrations and they got rid of the magwell opening on the front that everyone hates. kinda what I was getting at earlier, they just release the same features in different combos and let everyone buy up a couple hundred thousand of them. I really don't like that they don't make the 34 in a non-MOS version currently.

6. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

Could've just released the gun as 19Xfs like they did with the Gen 4 19 summer specials instead of designating a complete separate model. I bought a 19x and latest gen Sig P365 yesterday so well see how they run.

7. Timothy Landon

Heard bad things about the P365. However, we couldn't get them fast enough at the gun store. Seems Sig has issues making a reliable plastic handgun. My Glock 42 is the best carry gun I have ever owned. And I have carried just about every type of handgun there is. For me the 42 is perfect. And I don't want to hear any BS about the 380ACP round and the BS, non existent "knock down" crap. If anybody wants to stand in front of my 380 I'll prove it.

triplestrong likes this.
  8. prospected

Not getting into a caliber war either but my department mandates 9mm, 40, 357 sig, or 45 acp/Gap for off duty semi autos and 38 special +p for the very few who carry a revolver. I picked up the second generation of the 365 which is easily identifiable with the x-ray night sights. If the primer drag seen in a few YouTube/magazine reviews becomes an issue I’ll swap the MIM firing pin with a hardened stainless version. The gun seriously feels like a quality piece and is pretty ergonomic for what it is.

9. shakazulu12

I really want the P365 to be successful. I'm still holding out for a few more months at least. Sounds like the latest versions are there though.

10. Timothy Landon

The P365 ergonomics are ok. But without an extended magazine the grip is too short. Even for my little girly hands. That's just my own opinion. Personally I will never buy, let alone carry, any firearm with known issues since it's release. The other new plastic Sig(P320) had issues when it was released as well. In the Industry the saying going around is stay away from plastic Sig's.

11. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

OK all you gun enthusiasts,
    I'm planning on buying a 9mm, Get my CCP (concealed carry permit), and
    be a responsible gun owner, go to a range to get use to it, etc.

Which brand would you, should I get?

I'm partial to Glocks, only b/c when my father was dying from Met. Lung CA., he tried several times to give me his guns. I know one was the composite Glock 9mm. My sister had them, gave them to one of my fathers friends, and won't ask for that one gun back for me.

What is there? Glock?, Springfield? S&W? Sig? ?

Which brand 9mm would you, should I get?
    I'd also like to buy a used 9mm. Is that advisable also?

TIA,
    Todd

12. prospected

S&W Shield, Glock 43, or Walther PPS M2. I cant recommend the 365 yet until I see if the latest gen fixed the early issues. I personally carry a G19 most of the year but occasionally the Shield with summer light clothing. Never got on with the G43 cause the grip pattern gets slick and factory 6 round mags only suck quite frankly. Shield and PPS offer larger factory mags and I’m not a aftermarket extension kinda guy. Not a fan of anything Springfield except a 1911.

13. shakazulu12

Buy any 9mm plastic gun from a major brand and shoot a few thousand rounds. As much as people like to argue about it, they all work about the same and for the average shooter there isn't much of a real world difference. Outside of an ergonomic issue, so make sure to get a demo if you can. For example, if you have midget fingers and can't hit the mag release, or you have your thumbs really high with your grip and the slide doesn't lock back because you are hitting the release. When in doubt, just buy a Glock 19 and call it a day. Doesn't really matter what generation.

K51000, DucatiBomber and Jedb like this.
  14. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Browning Hi-Power

CZ75BD

Walther P38

Sig P226

All the rest are just plastic toys:D

15. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

@K51000
    I have Sig 229 and Sig320 that I use for carry. For me, the ergonomics of the Glock don't work.
    The 229 is a hammered pistol. The 320 are striker fired. Both work fine and conceal fine under a slightly oversized hoodie.

Go to a range that rents, and try a bunch. I would also add Ruger to your list; SR9 and SR40 as well as "American".

BJR119 likes this.
  16. BJR119

BJR119 Well-Known Member

Pick up, handle and shoot a Glock 19, CZ P10c, M&P 9c and a Sig 320. All are polymer compact 9mm. Similar performance and capacity. What you need to decide is what feels the best in your hand and what points naturally for you. All are great in their own right, just different. Buying used isn't an issue, its hard to wear these things out and most people are not heavy shooters (15K+ rounds a year would qualify, most people don't go through 500 rounds a year). I have owned all four of the above mentioned and found that the G19 and CZp10 were best for me. I edc the CZ and have over 20K rounds through it. .02

K51000 likes this.
  17. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I'm sure most everyone in this thread will laugh at this pistol. I have plenty of high dollar, high quality firearms...I bought this Taurus G2C for $200 to throw in my saddlebag. Target is from 7 yards, first time I ever fired it. Not too shabby for a $200 pistol.

[​IMG]windows screenshot tool
    [​IMG]

K51000 and terminus est like this.
  18. Timothy Landon

I agree on the S&W Shield, Glock 43 or Walther PPS if you insist on 9mm(I don't care what anybody says about calibers, it's shot placement, period). IMHO they are the best value. And don't ever buy a Taurus. Smaller guns are easier to carry, arguably. But you give up a little capacity. To me, capacity isn't an issue. Best thing to do is find a range that rents guns. Shoot different manufacturers, sizes and calibers. Everybody is different as far as what's right for them. Also make sure you are comfortable with the idea of carrying a deadly weapon. And that you may have to take someone's life. In my opinion again, the majority of people now days that carry firearms will not use them properly if the situation arises. Pretty much none of them are trained to deal with life and death situations. Let alone when firearms are involved. My 2 cents.

K51000 likes this.
  19. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

This. People bitch about the grip or the trigger or the looks or blah blah blah. What they don't bitch about it is that it eats anything you put in it and is amazingly accurate, durable and reliable out of the box.

K51000 and DucatiBomber like this.
  20. Cawk Star

Cawk Star Well-Known Member

I have always been skeptical of the cheaper versions that Taurus makes. However, I'm always proved wrong when I have the opportunity to shoot them.