1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a job-mechanical engineer / mechanic for hire

Discussion in 'General' started by Schump, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Schump

Schump Pimp w/a Slight Limp

That's right. The economy (and a boss who promised a review & raise after 3 months and STILL didn't give me one after 15 months) has got me down.

I am looking for any sort of engineering job in the DC area. I went to Virginia Tech for...well....several years and have everything but my piece of paper for a Mechanical Engineering degree.

I worked (too) heavily on VT's Formula S.A.E. team for four years, whereby we design and build a 600cc powered A-Mod sanctioned autocross car from scratch every year. For two years I was the de facto engine team leader, did all the dyno testing / troubleshooting / tuning / wiring. (BTW, rules stipulated we used a 20mm restrictor that was post throttle, pre-turbo...buggar! Hence, 7psi of boost started to fall @ choked flow when the nozzle reached mach 1.0 aka 9,000 rpm.) I was still able to make 20% more torque than my predecessor with an Ayer's Rock torque curve, and 51.5 ft lb uncorrected from a 1995 CBR600 F3 w/ a Garrett GT-15 and Electromotive's TEC-II efi/ignition system. I don't have a dyno sheet scanned, but if you were curious, after correcting for S.T.P. (standard temperature & pressure) she made 40+ ft-lb from 4,500 rpm up to 11,000 rpm.

If you have an old stash of Car & Driver magazine, see the article entitled "R.I.T. Kisses its Sister" from December 1996 or January 1997 for a picture of MEAT in all her glory, 1st semi active aerodynamics on FSAE and all...5th overall and 3rd in dynamic events out of 95 international schools.

All that being said, if you or the company you work for or your friend or 3rd cousin 4 times removed's company has any openings in the Washington, DC area, be it for a mechanical engineer, or as it might be titled "mechanical engineering technician", or needs a versed mechanic, PLEASE call or email me. I can, of course, forward my MS Word resume & references upon request.

Thanks a lot!
    Schump
    (I now live in N. Arlington, VA if it matters, hopefully not in the basement of my girlfriend's house... Time to finish hiding flat screen wiring in the wall and get some groceries for a yummy dinner...& print up 1,000? or so racing pix 4 sale for the swap meet @ Coleman Powersports in Falls Church this saturday.)

2. goodmatt78

goodmatt78 Well-Known Member

Especially with the economy, you would be better off using this time to get that paper. In the engineering field, it is all or nothing with the degree.

Good Luck.

3. Schump

Better situation, but I still need a mechanical engineering job

Hello all,

Yes, it's been a WHILE since I've been here. As per Matt's suggestion...got it! Finally. It being my M.E. degree from Virginia Tech. I'm still trapped in an armpit economy and had my knee replaced on 3/30/11 from a really bad bike wreck 8/22/05 and well, I can't quite point fingers yet, but a year of complications and...another knee replacement. No jinxing, so "so far, so good." That's all I'm saying. That and don't even think about going to the Hospital I did to see the talented but overconfident orthopedist recommended by one in my new hometown docs. (Annapolis, MD) Some great doctors, the 1st was overconfident, my new one is the best I've ever had, and I've had plenty. I could trust ~65% of the staff.

But back to the needing a job problem: I'm willing to do nearly anything so long as it's related to my field. I'm willing to move most anywhere. (I've been in 43 of 50 states so far.) Except probably Kansas as it's too flat and TOO boring. From a friend and my drive X country spring 2000: "Look Alistair, corn. Wow, more corn. Hey look, Bob Dole's hometown. You didn't turn around in time and missed it! Yet more corn. Aaah, the CO border!" I know business before pleasure but I would like to live somewhere with water to sail on or mountains to hike/ski/ride my mountain bike. Shoot, I've been applying my M.E. skills as a "paper distribution engineer" for The Bay Weekly since Memorial Day! Haven't missed a day of work, even the day after my tree buddy Santiago died across my street (Halloween.)

I am relearning AutoCAD and have taken lots of interesting, poignant classes at VT. I will attach my resume' if you want to peruse it such that I don't write another 9 mile long message :D

I hope everyone survived hurricane Sandy although I know the NJ coast/NYC got hit worse than we did in MD. Unfortunately, I had a tragedy 50' out my front door. RIP tree man & buddy Santiago Lopez!!! He was the hardest working, nicest man I've ever met, and now he's gone. A tragic tragedy and the vulturous reporters were here in 2.5 after the accident. :mad: From what I've heard Santiago never missed 1 day of work in nine years and I remember he and his crew felling a 90' tall poplar on our property line that would've taken out 1/2-all of our house on Labor Day weekend 2011. :confused::confused::confused:
    :down::down::down::down::down:

Dave Schumpert
    aka Schump

Attached Files:

4. tommyd273

tommyd273 Well-Known Member

persistence and tenacity. good luck.

5. bpro

bpro Big Ugly Fat F*****

Try ZF.

http://www.zf.com/corporate/en/homepage/homepage.html

I work at ZF steering systems (ZF-lenksysteme) in Florence KY and our plant is booming. Not sure if we are currently looking for engineers in Florence or at our design engineering office in Northville MI but I know that several of our sister companies are booming as well. I believe there was a thread in general about jobs in the new transmission plant down south.

6. gothicbeast

gothicbeast Back by court order

Dave,

If you are willing to move, I would check out Jobs @ Toyota.com. I know that Toyota R&D is hiring people in the Ann Arbor, MI area. I think your SAE experience would be a benefit in your application. Currently as of this writing, it appears 4 to 7 jobs are listed on Toyota.com. Don't wait, apply because postings are listed for a few days at most.

Good Luck.

P.S. : Hint, define the region as USA-Michigan-Ann Arbor. Don't narrow the field as sometimes a good job is not listed correctly.
    - Additional jobs are also available in LA, but the cost of living is very high out west.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  7. Black46

Black46 Well-Known Member

8. Schump

Thanks for the help everyone. For some reason, I didn't get an instant email when there was a reply after Tommy said "persistence and tenacity. good luck." Good call on all 3.
    Will check back soon.

Good night

9. RacerRuss

RacerRuss Well-Known Member

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Is your account here using a valid email address?

11. Country_boy_88

Country_boy_88 Well-Known Member

http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?p=3979939#post3979939
    :up:

12. Mud Whistle

Mud Whistle Get my icebike ON!

Try Ricardo, Who We Are -> Careers -> Ricardo US
    They were hiring a bunch and it seems like a cool company. I believe they were involved in the develoment work of the engine in the Veyron.