1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I HATE CMP BETWEEN PIT OUT AND THE TRACK

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Hate McDead, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Hate McDead

Hate McDead Well-Known Member

The 2nd time I went to CMP back in 2006 (?) foreshadowed this last time there.

Freezing cold weather in the early morning resulted in black ice at the exit to pit out right as you go onto the track. Needless to say, several bikes tossed it away entering the track. I should have been forewarned.

Morning practice on Saturday started out well enough until the start of the 2nd round in group 4. I followed Luke Conner on his Harley Davidson as we accelerated onto the track. Suddenly he high-sided right as he threw it in to make the left hand turn. I tried to steer outside of him as he landed from his mini-launch and tumbled on a collision course with me. My left clip on hit him first followed by my frame slider and then my footpeg. My left had has bruised fingers where the clutch lever hammered me and my boot was knocked off the ped. I managed to stay up and circled the track under a red flag.

Luke ended up with a couple of broken ribs. I can't put it together how he got those damaged ribs but I've got to think it was my bike and not his mini fall. When I talked to Luke, he thought that the transmission might have locked up or inadvertently downshifted on him. Either way, I was happy he hadn't gotten anymore banged up.

I ran across Sir Robin 172 and tried to explain this inadvertent bumpfest. I how I merely bunted poor Luke and how it was fortunate that I didn't actually run him over. But Robin 172 gave me a wide berth while we talked and then again as we walked away. Perhaps there is a trust level there.

None the less, CMP has a bit of bad blood in it. Be careful on the way out.

And, by the way, Eboz was right behind me when the bumping occured. Later that night after I had him pour some of the finest rum (Diplomatica Exclusiva Reserva) ever made, he concurred with me that there weren't any options other than the way that deal went down. Just glad it didn't end any worse.

2. nantahala

nantahala Well-Known Member

CMP = abusive spouse...

3. Phl218

Phl218 .

Eff CMP

Shenanigans likes this.
  4. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

The man just can't help himself.

5. Hate McDead

Sorry, poor choice of words in my post where I said "I ran across Sir Robin 172 and tried to explain...

I should have said "Later while walking through the paddock, when I tried to run over Sir Robin 172...

yamageezer likes this.
  6. Robin172

Stu, when we're all racing at say, Talladega, could you go to a circuit where there is no actual event that weekend? it might be safer for everyone.

yamageezer likes this.
  7. yamageezer

yamageezer Well-Known Member

And of course I now have the song "brave brave Sir Robin" stuck in my head.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Ooohhhhhhh - now I need to go find the dvd :D

yamageezer likes this.
  9. RZ Racer

RZ Racer It passed tech LAST time!

"sir Robin ran away..."

10. Robin172

No I didn't

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
    RZ Racer likes this.
  11. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Luke is still in the hospital in Kershaw, SC. He has 4 broken vertebrae, 4 broken ribs right at his spine, and 5 broken ribs up on his side, and internal bleeding. He's a tough nut, but he's pretty beaten up. Keep his speedy and complete recovery in your thoughts. Somehow he still has to return home to Louisiana, and that's gonna be tough given his back situation.

Heal fast Luke . . . our thoughts are with you.

Cheers,

Dave

12. Hate McDead

Well I'm very sorry to hear this about Luke. Fuck. This is a god damn crying shame. I feel worse by the minute thinking about it. And even though I did everything I could to try to avoid hitting him by braking and turning as much as humanly possible, it still doesn't stop me from feeling bad for Luke.
    Here's a shout out to Luke. Get well soon, Big Guy!

13. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

There's really nothing to be upset about other than a fellow competitor hurt.

If you didn't go out behind him then someone else would have. That simple. Be glad that you only clipped him. Running him over would have been way worse.

Sometimes there's just nowhere to go and not fast enough reflexes.

I almost ran Ryan christian over at Barber a couple years back coming out of last turn. Absolutely nowhere to go, luckily just clipped his leg. It's the nature of the sport.

You did nothing wrong.

TLR67 likes this.
  14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

In case someone is near and wants to visit - where is he actually? Lancaster or down in Camden?

15. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Good news -

Luke Conner is out of the Hospital and en route to Louisiana. Continue to heal Luke.

Cheers,

Dave

stickboy274 likes this.
  16. Hate McDead

Amen to that. Heal up, Luke.

(I feel better already.)

:clap:

17. Outsider V6 V7

Outsider V6 V7 Well-Known Member

Stu, I was right behind you back right. Feel bad for Luke as whatever happened to cause the off happened in a split second and not a wobble but a back to front swap. You went straight off trying to avoid him but his momentum rolled him in front of you. Heal up quick Luke. Now as for the rum and etiquette of rum drinking. If someone hands you a shot glass and everyone does a toast it's a shot. If someone hands you a rocks glass and a cigar it's a sipping drink. Now you know.

ungwaha likes this.
  18. RZ Racer

RZ Racer It passed tech LAST time!

yes you did...i saw you!

19. Robin172