1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I find new and interesting ways to break things - KTM Fuel Pump Edition

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Kurlon, Feb 7, 2021.

1. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

I'm prepping a new to me 2016 KTM 500 XC-W Sumo for racing for a dyno date this coming week, the bike hasn't been used much recently, dunno how old the gas is so I drained and filled the tank with fresh. I had also just replaced the teeny tiny fuel filter in the fuel line so fired it up to make sure everything primed, etc. A few moments into it running I smelled gas and shut it back down. After a little chasing I did find a gas leak, the back of the tank where the fuel pump bolts in. The regulator block itself is cracked just above the power plug. I've not been able to find any other reports of this happening to anyone else, you can see a 'T' crack where it looks like something tried to escape from the inside, but no matching signs of duress on the other side. If you don't fill the tank up to that level, no leaks even with the pump going. Fill above it and you can watch gas work it's way out the cracks.

[​IMG]

If you look above the pump plug's reflection, you can just see the light highlighting the main horizontal crack. So, seeing as KTM doesn't sell individual pieces, I get to spring for a whole new fuel pump assembly. OEM MSRP is $460, if I dig online hard enough I can find them listed for $300 new, $100 to $250 used in various states of crustiness and questionableness, and then there are Quantum branded aftermarket replacements for $170, includes new o-rings as well. Fuel filter appears to have never been changed in the 50hrs of runtime the bike has, so that's $70, I'm leaning towards the aftermarket setup with the option to replace the regulator or pump itself with my parts if needed? Anyone else have any experience with them?

2. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I did some quantums on some R6s... have no complaints about application fit. Id make sure the regulator is working while its apart. :)

3. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Let it outgas overnight, got a better pic of the fail.