1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I don't understand bombogenesis.

Discussion in 'General' started by Steeltoe, Jan 3, 2018.

1. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I prefer remaining inexperienced in such things.

10MM and BigBird like this.
  2. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I just spent a couple of miserable hours blowing snow into the wind. Very refreshing.
    Not all of that was spent blowing snow though, about 30 minutes was spent digging the newspaper out of the snowblower.
    But it took my mind off the frozen heating pipe that burst in the garage after my wife ignored my explicit directions to not touch the thermostat.
    After all, how could it hurt to turn the temperature down from 70 to 67?
    67 is plenty warm, right?
    And of course, all the plumbing and heating guys are booked for days fixing everyone's frozen pipes.

It's days like this that I wish I still drank.

Metalhead and BigBird like this.
  3. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

Nothing was happening when I left for work this morning. It was snowing when I got to work. The GM called ten minutes later and said we were closed. The boss said, "While you're here....." and I whipped out a brake job. The rest of the pussies didn't show up. I took it easy going home because this is the first storm in about 11 years that I have driven without four wheel drive. there was about 10-12 inches at work, at home only about 2-3. Da French down on the Cape says it's raining. (It's that Gulf Stream, Dits!)

I got stuck behind the snow plow conga line.

[​IMG]

Meanwhile, up in Boston they can't get enough traction to make it up the exit ramp from Rt. 93 to Storrow Drive!

[​IMG]

joec likes this.
  4. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

We had a heavy snow here over the Christmas holidays. Some areas saw upwards of 1/32". Every loaf of bread in a 200 mile radius sold instantly. It was traumatic.

5. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

It's just a Nor'easter that developed real fast.

Steeltoe likes this.
  6. BigBird

BigBird blah

The newspaper was the only thing that stopped me. Didn't realize that stopped the auger. It was after a few cut offs that I realized what was happening. Rookie that I am, especially since we don't get delivery of one, but it was the Town "News"paper

7. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

So, in about 2 years, I need you to take a job in Chicago and move next door to me. :D

BigBird likes this.
  8. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

The Sunday paper will typically cost you a shear pin.

9. BigBird

BigBird blah

Good to know. Let me order some right now.

Sent from a smatrphone

10. joec

joec brace yourself

I have one. Stock up on friction disks belts and shear pins. The plastic chutes suck. Arians metal chutes kick ass.. And the stupid electric start stopped working. Though it starts 1st pull almost every time.

badmoon692008, BigBird and Funkm05 like this.
  11. BigBird

BigBird blah

do I need just the friction wheel rubber, disc or the entire assembly?

damn...hate that I need to maintain something else, especially in the cold...but this thing does kick arse, on day 1 at least

12. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

I prefer having 1.5" of snow.

Total.

All winter long.

Cuz I still ain't put the plow on the new purple pachyderm. :moon:

13. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Just slogged through a house a buddy of mine housesits.

Basement: flooded

Slab on grade addition: flooded

Boiler: dry

Furnace filter: clogged

This one's costing someone's insurance company a fuckload of money.

14. joec

joec brace yourself

There little rubber wheel. I've had those springs pop free also. I've safety wired through then. The little pan will catch them but it's nice to know they don't get lost.
    There belts are specific to that machine. Well, to the one I have anyway. No place seems to carry them locally.

But the thing is a monster. When it goes, it's going great. I think I have the 28" with the 8hp. It mostly sits in the garage.

BigBird likes this.
  15. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

If you got 4 done in an hour, you should call them parking spots, not driveways.

BigBird likes this.
  16. BigBird

BigBird blah

I am the only with a detached garage and driveway next to the house. It's not that long either, about 6 car lengths long and 1.5 car length wide. everyone else has an attached garage in the front of their house, so it was not terrible at all. Hopefully, it buys me some good new neighbor points for when the bikes startup in the spring, and probable late night wrenching.

beac83 likes this.
  17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Wait - what's with the frozen pipes and major traffic issues for a little snow - not to mention all the expert winter drivers and snow removal/salt spreading equipment? And shutting down for a storm? That only happens in the south right?

:crackup:

R Acree likes this.
  18. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Those are the people in training to move south. :D

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I know - something like 75k a year moving to the metro ATL :eek:

20. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

:crackup: