1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I’m volunteering at a senior dog shelter/hospice…

Discussion in 'General' started by sharkattack, Jun 30, 2022.

1. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

So I started volunteering at a senior dog shelter/hospice. It has been one of the most humbling experiences of my life. The people that run the facility are some of the kindest, most selfless people I’ve had the pleasure of working with.

But the dogs are the reason they’re/we’re (us volunteers) doing this. Each dog has their own backstory. Some were surrendered by their owner’s families when the owner passed away; some were surrendered by owner who didn’t want to deal w/ a senior dog, some were rescued from animal control facilities (of which some can only be described as Hell on earth), and one was left tied to a tree, with a large wound and open sores; w/o food, water, or a way to defend herself.

When you see these dogs look at you, it’s as if they’re saying “Hey, I’ve had a rough go lately. All I want is some love and affection for the time I have left. Can you do that for me?”

I’ve donated funds & supplies, along with my time. I know there are some serious dog lovers on the beeb. If you choose to donate, I’d be extremely grateful. I always knew there were pet rescues (it’s where we’ve gotten all our dogs) but this is the first place I’ve heard of that specializes in senior dogs & offers hospice.

If you’re so inclined to learn more or donate, please check out:
    https://secondchanceranchstl.org

Or on the books of face:
    https://www.facebook.com/Second-Chance-Ranch-100922032073157/

Thanks for listening guys. Here are a few of the residents.

Cheers,
    Scott W
    343BB5EE-65CA-4A39-8651-5F3247D7F755.jpeg D6CF4228-F9C8-483F-AF0A-7F236ACAE12C.jpeg 403E1659-7C14-4BA8-A378-1115A09AA0BA.jpeg FB5D1E77-A765-4FEA-B280-A3CB939AF211.jpeg BC81CCF1-F7CB-4262-BDF7-D18AE23371B5.jpeg 8A70BD93-CEBC-45C2-A9FD-E292F370270E.jpeg

joec, 50Joe, SnacktimeKC and 15 others like this.
  2. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

I'm a sucker for dogs. When I had to put my boxer down cried like a baby. More than people's funerals. Good on you for stepping up

Scott S., Circacee and sharkattack like this.
  3. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

I cannot even imagine either abandoning my guys or not taking in one from family if family passed, good on you. Despite the bandana's

SundaySocial and sharkattack like this.
  4. G 97

G 97 Garth

You are a good man, I’ve thought about doing the same but fuck, it’s hard. I do t think I have the fortitude. You the man,

sharkattack and Dragginass like this.
  5. G 97

G 97 Garth

People suck.

6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I want ‘em all but can’t. I missed my cats but couldn’t take the heart break after the last one passed and was enjoying not having to deal with the . . . Who was I kidding, I missed having a pet but I insisted “no more pets!”
    The girls came home with two kittens from West Virginia and life went on with my grumping.
    They went to look at a kollege and came home with a third. A complete psycho cat from Indiana or some I state.

house is too small, no room and. . . Tell me more about the first one with the pink bandana.

Circacee, Shenanigans, G 97 and 2 others like this.
  7. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I sent a few bucks, can't afford much these days.
    I used to give to the ASPCA but they wouldn't stop sending me shit asking for more donations.
    I want my money spent on the animals, not on asking me for more.

Scott S., G 97, Pride & Joy and 2 others like this.
  8. backho

backho Well-Known Member

Good on you! You’re accumulating some nice karma for sure!

sharkattack likes this.
  9. sharkattack

That’s Rosalie. She was surrendered to the Ranch when her owner passed away. The owners family didn’t want her or couldn’t take her in. I have a shift tonight, I’ll see what other details I can get.

10. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

We’ve had our guy, Brick, since Sept. He’s completely awesome. We have so much fun taking him with us almost everywhere and people love to pet him and his tail wags. We don’t know how old he is. But he’s definitely no spring chicken.

I discovered last night he loves cantelope, honeydew, and watermelon. Put some little pieces in his food this morning as a treat.

People that get rid of a dog just because they’re old. Truly suck donkey balls.

Dogs that lose their owners have all my sympathy.

You’re help to them is awesome.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You're a way stronger person than I am.

12. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

You're wonderful to do this...bless you my man.

sharkattack likes this.
  13. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Donated. I laid my 12-year old pup to rest this past March. I have a soft spot for senior dogs.

sharkattack likes this.
  14. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Good on you for doing that, I couldn't, I'd be coming home with another dog every week. My wife knows if she goes first I'm going to fill the house up with Labs.

sharkattack likes this.
  15. sharkattack

Damn, you guys are awesome for donating. Keep 'em coming, even if it's only $5 or so. Skip the burger & fries at lunch today and help make a difference.
    No, I'm not the strong one; the strong ones are the dogs whose world has been flipped upside down through no fault of their own, and are suddenly in new surroundings with new people. And they soldier on. I can't wait to see the new arrivals at my shift tonight. If there's an interest, I'll post some pics of them, providing I have a chance to snap some.

16. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

That isn't 'lip service' when you are putting in the TLC. with/for them.
    Good for you, and for them.

sharkattack likes this.
  17. sharkattack

I just got word that one of the pups, Cooper, (he’s an older fella, but I call all of them pups), is back after being treated for heart worms and some lung issues. This picture sums up perfectly what these dogs need, and what they get a the Ranch. The folks that adopt (that’s also part of the Ranch’s mission, to find forever homes for them) these senior pups are wonderful.
    F37F94A3-B123-4936-9FE0-B366A6DE3238.jpeg

18. 650 RACER

650 RACER Well-Known Member

I love old dogs but hate losing them more than anything. Good on you. Donation sent.

TurboBlew and sharkattack like this.
  19. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Done. You’re a good man, Charlie Brown. :)

20. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

I did not know this was a thing. I'm going to see if one exists in my area to volunteer at. I just can't own a dog right now and miss having one. This may not only help the pups but help me too.

Yzasserina and Wheel Bearing like this.