1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hurricane VS F3

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by pscook, Apr 27, 2015.

1. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

I did my best to uphold the butterknife reputation. But I could only fend him off for a couple of laps, then the HP onslaught overcame my meager offerings. Granted this was my second race on this bike, and the guy right in front of me has been riding that bike for a dozen years, but excuses are like belly buttons.

First video is from the 1988 Hurricane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9mul1vBLQk

This video is from the aforementioned F3. The fastest bike out there is an F2.5 (F2 with F3 forks and rear wheel). He decides he doesn't want to play with us by hauling ass into the distance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=552&v=xfXegaQTc7w

Since motor wins these races (as I don't have quite enough skill yet), I am looking at an F3 on Saturday. And so begins the HP wars...

Isn't this how we defeated communism? Outspend the enemy, right?

I forgot to add: The guy who catches me at turn one right off the start (end of the K Wall, on a brown F2) finished right behind me. Three bike train of three generations of F series Hondas. But I still should have been up front...

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
    VFR#52 likes this.
  2. gpracer15

gpracer15 Built to Ride

F1, F2, F3 only if its a KAWI lol

3. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Hey Phil, good vid.

I must confess I watched it to see if the track has changed any.....doesn't look like it has.

I used to live right down the road in Maple Valley.

Kind of a trip down memory lane for me, thanx.....and good run!:up:

4. gpracer15

gpracer15 Built to Ride

Nice video but that is a tack I would not want to crash at, too many trees!

5. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

They paved a bunch of it, it might be all new pavement since you last experienced it. Turn one through the exit of turn two was new in 2011, and the entrance to turn eight through the bus stop/straightaway entrance was new last year. It is much more fun than it used to be. They also cut down ALL of the trees in the paddock, there is zero shade. They also paved the entire paddock, no dirt/pavement stripes. Still needs power and the bathrooms aren't the best, but it's what we have.

Regarding crashing and trees, they have moved a lot of the trees away from the race surface. Unfortunately they also removed the blackberry bushes outside of turn six, which exposed the embankment; the blackberries provided both cushioning in the occurrence of a get off as well as a healthy snack while you were waiting for the crash truck.

However, there are places you don't initiate a pass unless you are SURE you can complete it safely.

6. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

Hurricane's made my 86 FZ 600 null and void in 87. I don't like Hurricane's.:)

VFR#52 likes this.
  7. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

I was told the exact same thing by a friend at the track this weekend. But he off-loaded his FZ and got the Hurricane to keep up. I'm still surprised by how fast it was in spite of my poor riding ability.

8. Dyle

Dyle Glad its a new year!!

PSCook I loved the video. Reminded me of the times I had on my old 88 Hurricane 600 back in 2003 and 04 and my son ran it in 05. Fondly named Little Girl, and was so much fun to ride. I heard you having a common problem we had which was scraping of the plastic on the ride side. But dude......You RODE THE WHEELS OFF THAT THING! Great video and thanks for sharing. Post a full pic of the bike if you would for us Honda Nuts.
    Shared your videos on my facebook page so my son and our mechanic my brother could see it. We loved our Hurricane and f3s and RRs

Last edited: May 2, 2015
    VFR#52 likes this.
  9. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Here you go, the best one I have at this moment. I'll dig another up soon. However, ironically, I just buried the 'Cane with a 1996 F3. Need more power. Riding the wheels off only helps in a circle, but some fool put some straight sections in the track. But thanks for the props, it was fun. I was slower than I should have been, but I'll get there, if I can't get the F3 running soon.

[​IMG]

VFR#52 likes this.
  10. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Another when it made its first appearance out of six years of storage:

[​IMG]

Yep, that's a Kosman rear wheel and an F3 front end with a VFR wheel. Quite the "bitsa" bike.

VFR#52 likes this.
  11. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

And here's the new kid with the old-timer:

[​IMG]

12. flyingpig70

flyingpig70 Well-Known Member

I saw that bike out there, I showed up a little before noon to do that TOR deal. I took my 900 that has been sitting for years to shake the cob webs off, good thing as it would only run for a lap at a time, some time less....

[​IMG]

VFR#52 likes this.
  13. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

^ OMG, I remember that bike.

14. flyingpig70

:beer:

15. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Same here. Saw it sitting under the KFG canopy just wondering what it was. Good looking bike, looks like a lot of effort went into it. Sorry to hear it isn't running well. You know we (WMRRA) have a class that's a perfect fit for that bike. Maybe even two classes.

VFR#52 likes this.
  16. flyingpig70

The only class I would have thought about running with you guys, my 06 gsxr 1000 qualifies for too, so I'd rather race it. ;)

17. Dyle

[​IMG]

PCCook heres a pic of mine with me and one with the kid on it same weekend doing a trackday at 13. His first race bike was the Hurricane 600. Actually it was his first motorcycle of any kind.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 3, 2015
    VFR#52 likes this.
  18. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

OMG, is it possible you have the fathead himself in that RH picture, Dyle? On his "Hymer Special Deal" Baby Jesus mk I?

Last edited: May 3, 2015
    VFR#52 likes this.
  19. Dyle

Talking about bike #270? I think I have a few from that solo 16 at Road Atlanta. Ill have to go thru the boxes I have of pics. I lost a lot of my pics when our house burnt down in 09 but was lucky my Mother being a retired Naval Chief and Photo Journalist for the Navy she always keeps everything so she had a lot of the pics I lost.

VFR#52 likes this.
  20. Dyle

Heres a video from my last race in 2011 just b4 my heart surgery in July 2011 the video is from March 2011 and then a shorty video from 2004 Road Atlanta GNF V6HW on board my little yellow Hurricane 600. Completely stock aside from the Slip on V&Hs and jetting. No rear sets, bone stock suspension and even using the seat as part of the tail piece....LOL. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhJuomoPcvY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IiU8mIrUw8&feature=youtu.be

And no jump start I just got a great start.