1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hurricane Sally

Discussion in 'General' started by nigel smith, Sep 14, 2020.

1. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

Seems to be heading directly to my front door. I anticipate losing electricity and internet in the next day or so. Y'all hold my seat until I get back.

2. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

I just saw its now Cat 2 and was relieved it will be east of family down there. Sorry that means you.

gixxerboy55 likes this.
  3. Subaruzi

Subaruzi Total hack

Good luck bruh
    New Orleans seems like we'll be just getting a lot of rain.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

4. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I only know her cousin Mustang Sally.

Knotcher and R Acree like this.
  5. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

stay safe and hurry back so I don’t miss your exquisite prose!

6. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

Good luck man. We’re planning on kayaking around the neighborhood By tomorrow afternoon.

7. mastermind

mastermind camping in turn 2....

Currently camped at Tally..... wondering about the rainfall.......

8. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

Alabama is predicted to get about a foot of rain from it. Don't float away.

9. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Watching the weather reports concerning this hurricane. Curious as to the boat owners and where do they evacuate to?
    What’s the “protocol” to make for a safer environment for your boat with this hurricane approaching?

10. BC

BC Well-Known Member

If it on a trailer, move it or put the plug in it and put some water in it for ballast.

On the water, Lots of rope.

11. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Does lots of rope mean moving it away from the docks with rope?

12. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Not just extra lines, but having enough slack in them to allow for storm surge. Also, make sure there is not any pinch points or high-wear areas that could cause a snapped line.

BigBird likes this.
  13. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

I think it means lots of rope to let the boat rise with the water. If tied down tight, the ropes will literally hold the boat down and sink it under the rising flood waters. Even "floating" docks can run out of ability to rise against the amount water coming in. Alternatively if the rope / cleats are not strong enough to hold the boat under then they will break and leave the boat adrift. I remember after Hugo some boats were found well inland on city streets.

BigBird likes this.
  14. joec

joec brace yourself

Floating docks.

New England sees almost 15foot tides in places.. I've seen dock pilings sticking out of the water 20feet.

I've also seen floating docks pinch at the hinge points and be forced under several feet of water preventing use until it can be yanked free with a boat..

But properly constructed floating docks work great..

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
  15. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

The tropical waters have been like a bowling alley this year...and we're far from done.

16. Jed

Jed mellifluous

During Hugo the surge was enough to lift the floating docks at Wild Dunes above the pilings. The whole marina ended up washed up on Goat Island. The owners dubbed themselves members of the Goat Island Yacht Club.

[​IMG]

17. kangasj

kangasj Banned

If it looks like a hard hit I take my boat about 35 miles inland and set 3 heavy anchors on chain with LOTS of scope. The marina I keep it in has really tall pilings and floating docks so if it's not a big storm I double down on the lines and let her ride it out. The marina has a bunch of 3 story condos that protect it from the north and east so they help with the wind a lot.

speedluvn likes this.
  18. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Get the bass boat out.

t11ravis likes this.
  19. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

"...three hour tour, three hour tour"

Jed likes this.
  20. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Man it’s getting nasty here.

lots and lots of rain and flooding and we aren’t even started yet.