HRC Data Logger, few basic questions

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by Jeff Payton #82, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Jeff Payton #82

Jeff Payton #82 ‘The dinosaurs also thought they had more time’

1. both the 125/250 diagrams show 'LAP' on one of the ports- both say this is unused. I would like to use it for all intensive purposes, but for the life of me i can't locate any info on this portion of the kit

2. i am seeing the logger runs off of the generated voltage of the bike and/or battery - can anyone confirm?

3. obviously the kit is intended for 2002+ machines, but i am curious if this means it will only work with those machines

thanks!

2. grendels_arm

grendels_arm Sam Green Eggs and Ham

Shameless plug for www.usgpru.net. There's info there about the data logger. Do you mean LAF? If so that's the suspension stuff. They are a bit pricey and I never got those. Here's the LAF sensor on Amazon as it's used for other Honda vehicles.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BFDI666/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_5?smid=A1SIV04S0CP25&psc=1

The data logger runs off the bike when it's on so no battery needed. You need a battery, I used an old small 12v, to power it afterwards to download your data to your laptop or whatever you have the software on. That's what I did. I downloaded my data in my garage after I got back from the races.

It works fine on my 98 bike which I'm pretty sure has a '98 harness. There were a few versions of the software. The different versions would work with specific firmware for the logger. A used one I bought didn't work until I got updated firmware and correct software.

Jeff Payton #82 likes this.
  3. Jeff Payton #82

Ahh, thanks for this!!

Battery to retrieve data makes perfect sense.

as for the LAP - i'm not kidding there is a port on the wiring diagram that says lap, and after a little bit of scrolling through the data logger manual its clear on both the 125/250 that there is an orange connection for lap timer, but says 'UNUSED' - the LAF i have found plenty of data and different uses for, water temp sensor data being the 'coolest' i've seen

i believe the '98 had the powervalve system with throttle pos sensor? i mostly want the kit to work on my 96 for deto/shift indication and obviously all the other data it can provide is useful. A little unsure of the uphill battle i'm facing to make it work which is seemingly growing steeper, but i couldn't pass on the deal and it all seems really cool to me to learn about even if i can't use it with my current setup

4. Jeff Payton #82

the USGPRU link is extremely helpful - thank you!!
    haven't visited that site in at least a year, it was down when i would check a while ago

5. grendels_arm

6. Jeff Payton #82

I read through the threads, still looking for more just for kicks. I was telling my buddy Bill last night that I was born 5-7 years too late.. love living in the late 90's!
    And you're correct, I meant powerjet in my previous comment. It all seems like I should be able to get this kit up and running as long as I can source a machine to run the software.
    I have a 2010 macbook pro that apparently i can run a virtual machine or boot camp, the issue is I don't have a copy of Windows 98/ME/2000 haha!

Going to figure out the lap timer portion - the Ducati gps comments are very helpful.

I wish was around when USGPRU was hot

7. grendels_arm

I run it on an XP VM I installed from ISO someone gave me long ago. I run the VM in Virtualbox and it can see the data logger connected to the physical laptop the VM is running on. Back then I only had a Linux based laptop.

8. Jeff Payton #82

Thanks all! Probably should have spent the money on top end repair/replate but, ya know, priorities? lol